It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• From Ritalin to Dexedrine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #1
    justaround71

justaround71 HB User
    Thumbs up From Ritalin to Dexedrine

Hello,
    I'm new to this site..the first one I could find with a seperate board for attention deficet disorder. I've been on meds for ADD since I was age 12. The first medication that I was ever on was Ritalin. I went on and off that until age 16. I was then put on a number of different medications from age 16-19 because I became diagnosed with depression, bi-polar, and anxiety during this time due to a secret drug addiction to pain killers, meth, and alcohol. I finally went to a 28 day inpatient rehabillitation after a 5 day deotx at age 19, followed by an 8 week intensive outpatient program. I'm now 97 days clean, the biggest stretch in a long time for me. While in rehab I was tried on 40mg/ day of Ritalin SR and it worked for awhile. All Ritalin products gave me some nasty side effects after awhile such as muscle tics, irritability, aggresion, insomnia, and physical anxiety. At first they don't do this but as soon as they lose their effect (which is usually a couple months) all kind of annoying things happen. I was put on Dexedrine spansule capsule 20mg/ day a week ago. So far this "amphetamine" has worked wonders and has little to no side effects. I get a bit spacey here and there but that is about it. My doctor told me that Ritalin is a mild stimulant while Dexedrine was a moderatly high potent stimulant which means it can be addicting. Does anybody have any experience with this drug? Good or bad? Has anybody heard of addiction to this? Can you become addicted if taking it as prescribed? Dexedrine has helped me focus much better, keep my concentration, stay on one task, keep my thoughts more organized, helps me study, and helps me generally do things better. I feel "normal". Does this drug usually have less side effects? And does anybody else react the same way as I do with Ritalin? It is wretched. I feel miserable and dragged down on it. I am also on Wellbutrin..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
    1Rookie1

1Rookie1 HB User
    Thumbs up

Justaround71,

I am 27 year-old female and have recently been diagnosed. I, too, tried Ritalin and it made me feel awful. I have a pretty laid-back personality anyway. I felt like a walking zombie. The only time I felt better on it was at night when the medication was wearing off. I then asked to be switched from Ritalin (methylphenidate) to Adderall XR (dextroamphetamine), which is the same class as Dexedrine. I've had the same results as you. I feel like a "normal" person. I can focus a lot easier and have been doing a lot better at work. I am in week 4 of the Adderall XR and have noticed the energy boost feeling is gone, but the effects on concentration continue. Please keep me posted on your progress/side effects. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
    ju1iek

ju1iek HB User
    ive been on dexedrine for over a month now, and my doctor just increased my dosage to 60 mg a day. i have not seen any changes at all - although i notice when its starting to wear off im very anxious. i am also taking depakote at night. i think its great that you are having no side effects and that you are able to think clearly...

Old 08-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
    SunnyDarkness
    Inactive

SunnyDarkness HB User
    Thumbs up

Hey, congratulations on the clean time. Since you have the Addiction gene I would advise you to be extremely careful on dexedrine. Its great that it is helping you so much. It is possible to get addicted to some medications even when taking them as perscribed if you have an Addictive disorder. If you really want to continue taking it just be sure to NEVER EVER take more than you are supposed to at any given time. It would really benefit you to ask your doctor about the new Strattera medication wich is a non stimulant, also there is Wellbutrin that helps a lot with ADD. It would probably be best if you could find a non stimulant that works. And remember, if once you try wellbutrin and strattera if neither give you satisfactory results you can always go back to dexedrine.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
    dice

dice HB User
    My son over four years has been on Ritalin, Adderal, then back to Ritalin again. These drugs left him irritable, "zombie" like, dry mouthed, stomach ached, depreesed and basically not who he really is. He switched to Dexedrine 5 months ago, after his teacher repeatedly forgot to give him his pill. After the teacher complained that he wasn't succeeding in class. After the teacher told the class he needed medication to focus. After the class teased him and called him a "drug taker". Then, a child psychiatrist prescibed Dexadrine. My son feels more like himself. His mood is brighter. His stomach aches are gone. He seems more organised. He even eats his lunch! I also like Dexidrine because I have the power over giving my son his medication. And he sleep at night! I must say, I wish he didn't have to be on medication. And I hope that some day he won't. But I am curious about the non-stimulant drug Strattera (not yet approved by Health Canada), because I don't like to think I'm giving my 10 year old an addictive drug. I was just told about Concerta by a neighbour whose son is taking it, but after reseaching it on the web, it sounds like Ritalin in a new dress and so I say, "no thank you".

Old 09-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
    saved by grace

saved by grace HB User
    Cool

Dear JulieK,

Dexidrine is just 'speed' and coming down from any upper is going to create an anxiety level, what goes up must come down. Highly addictive stuff.....be careful!

Dear Dice,

Saw on another post you were thinking of stopping the meds with your son! Brilliant! do it slowly but good for you, time, love, tutoring, your time......that's what he needs!

Grace

Old 09-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
    SObearCAL

SObearCAL HB User
    Cool

From the addiction perspective (for the original poster), I told my doctor about 14 ways to Sunday about my recovery before jumping on medication. I also spoke with other drunks who were taking the same stuff to ask them about their experiences. I've not had compulsion problems taking a fairly high (72) dose of Concerta, but I'm a freak about making sure to follow the letter of the law on the dosage, etc., it being speed and all. Staying close to my 12-step program helps, too, of course.

Closed Thread