It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• From Adderall to Concerta

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
    Fortified

Fortified HB User
    Question From Adderall to Concerta

Hello. First time here.
    I have a question for anyone and everyone. I am a 23 year old college student. My junior year of high school (1996)I was prescribed Ritalin for ADD and took it for about a year. I responded very well to the medication when it peaked but I couldn't handle the ups and downs. So my senior year my doctor switched me to Adderall. I thought it worked pretty well and continued to use it on into my freshman year and sophomore year in college. However, I did not recognize the side affects in myself of depression, headache, anxiety, fatigue as being related to the Adderall. Anyway to make a long story short. Took two years off from college and quit the meds...slipped into major depression/weight gain. I returned to college a year ago struggling to maintain focus and my doc suggested I try Adderall again. (I never related the depression, anxiety and headache or fatigue to Adderall) Well I've been on it for 2 weeks now and OH MY GAAAH I feel like crap! I am just dragging myself all over campus. So this morning he suggested I try Concerta 36mg ER tablets. So I went and got my perscription filled and took my first pill this morning. I feel nausea and a bit tired but I think that is the Adderall withdraw. Also have a killer headache. I have had Concerta in my system for just about 4 hours now, and realize I won't feel the full effects right away due to the switch, but was wondering if anyone has ever had that effect with Adderall and if they've switched to Concerta or any other similar methylphenidate med. I obviously tend to respond better to the methylphenidate medicines. Sorry so long..but just looking for anyone with a smimilar experience. Thanks!

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    This is a common tale. I have heard it alot, whether it be meds for ADD, depression, OCD, social anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder. These type of meds that target the brain are not natural and unwanted in the brain, thus the time comes when they lose effectiveness or cause many mental or physical symtoms and ill mental/physical health.

You can continue to ride the drug merry-go-round or simply get off it. These problems, even if solved by a new drug, will eventually surface again.

If you do decide to discontinue your present course, be warned you should never cold-turkey your prescriptions but ever so slowly ease off, like around 10% cut every two weeks as a guide. You may have withdrawals. Also, long after chemicals are gone, there may be some craving(or simply withdrawal type symptoms) for quite awhile after, since sometimes it takes a very long time for the brain to get used to not having the drug.

If you decide to continue taking these drugs, I hope things will get better for you, but in the long run it's probably not going to and you will have to put up with side effects and tolerance development to drugs that used to work well.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
    oboetooter

oboetooter HB User
    Fortified ...
    Were you on Adderall XR when you had the headaches, etc.? My nephew is lucky he's young - an older body would not have stood the abuse he made of the regular stuff in college. He wasn't using it for a "high" - he'd just pop one before a class, then with a test coming up a couple of hours later, he'd pop another ... By the end of the week he wasn't even sleeping ... then he'd come back down.
    My experience with the extended or slow-release meds has been that they are more "even" - so you might not get the headaches or such, even though the constant level of the drug in your bloodstream would be sufficient for you to manage and get some help with the ADD symptoms. Just curious.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
    Fortified

Fortified HB User
    Unhappy

I did try the Adderall XR for a bit, but felt strange on it. My doctor had me on zoloft to try to prevent the depression that came along with the Adderall. The two DID NOT mix and I experienced some crazy and scary side effects. But today I've taken Concerta (I did take 20mg Adderall yesterday--today's my first day on Concerta) I have suffered from major nausea today...I am sure it is just the shock from the switch and withdraw from the Adderall. Since this Concerta is a "pulse" release of medication over 12 hours It shoud be more even. We'll see.

Old 09-11-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
    cymomtx

cymomtx HB User
    The first two weeks on Concerta there is known problems with nausea and headaches but they should go away after that.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:59 AM   #6
    agdodge4x4

agdodge4x4 HB User
    I am also a 23 yr old college student. I have not noticed any headaches with Adderall XR, but I have noticed terrible insomnia. Sometimes, like last night, it takes till 4am to get to sleep. THe thing is that the medicine aside from that works great for me. It does exactly what its supposed to do, but i have trouble at night going to sleep. I usually try to take it ONLY on the days i think i will need to be studying or if i have a long day. Otherwise, i stay away from it. If i could figure out a way to get to sleep, it would be great. Haven't tried concerta yet.

------------------
    -----------
    Jason E. Duke

Texas A&M University
    Class of 2002

Texas A&M University
    Class of 2002

Old 09-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
    WildAngel

WildAngel HB User
    I had the depression side effects from adderall. With concerta I had the nausea and headaches. It helps to take the medication with food. Eat a healthy big breakfast. Then take the medication. Something that helps alliviate nausea (other than food) and may also help you cut the dosage of medication needed is omega 3 oils. If you can eat fresh fish daily that would be best, if not then try adding omega 3oils to your diet.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
    Fortified

Fortified HB User
    Wildangel-
    Are you still taking Concerta?
    The nausea http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif I am feeling today is horrible. I am tired too.
    I have two Exams tomorrow and feel so sick that I can't concentrate. How long does it take for the Omega 3 to kick in? I'll go get some...or get someone to bring me some...I'm afraid the motion from the car will make me get sick.

Old 09-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Why are you putting up with feeling ill? Why are others' here putting up with lack of sleep(if you read up on sleep, you'd know how important it is for mental and physical health). Oh well, it is your choice of course, I am not telling anybody how to live, but it sounds like there is alot of problems here.

Old 09-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
    oceanchic

oceanchic HB User
    I am currently on 60mg of Adderal xr a day. I moved to the XR after being on regular Adderal for a few years. I agree sometimes the side effects can suck, there have been times when I also have had trouble falling or staying asleep as well as the occasional headaches. All I know is that I choose to deal with them for the simple reason that this medication has helped me more than I thought possible. Good luck to all of you who are going through some of the not so good side effects of these medications. My advice is don't give up to quick, in my case it took me awhile but as soon as my body adjusted to the new medication the side effects were hardly noticable. I hope everyone else gets the same results as I did!

Old 09-11-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
    WildAngel

WildAngel HB User
    No. Fortified, it sounds like you are getting awful side effects. Have you tried anything besides medication? If not then maybe its time. There are natural treatments out there that can work very well.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #12
    Fortified

Fortified HB User
    F.Y.I.
    Well I couldn't take the Concerta anymore. I could not concentrate and just cried. Don't know if it was just because I was frustrated and couldn't concentrate to study, or that the medication just really messed with my emotions. Probably a combonation. I would rather deal with the Adderall. It was nothing compared to what I was like on the Concerta. Plus I get things done. Which is what I need!

Closed Thread