It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Bad effects of Ritalin usage....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
    giddyup715
    (female)

giddyup715 HB User
    Post Bad effects of Ritalin usage....

Does anyone here have horror stories about Ritalin misuse? With 18-20 year olds? My son was diagnosed with ADD (not the hyper kind)but the concentration kind and was put on Ritalin. He now craves more than the ideal dose. I mean, has anyone ekse here got addicted to it? The Dr. says that some kids may snort it, but what they are snorting is mostly corn starch the "filler". Well, I don't believe that **** cause my son is up for days with no sleep. Or maybe he don't need it and and is now dependent on it. What do you think? Anyone here addicted to it in their adult hood? Everything I have read about it, it's (Ritalin)a derivative of cocaine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Yes, with any psychoactive addictive drug, tolerance and dependance is definately a possibility. He must be weaned off very, very slowly. It is alot like cocaine and speed.

Here's a portion of the prescribing information (from the company, so they tend to blame it on patient rather than drug) of Ritalin explaining drug dependance:

Drug Dependence
    Ritalin should be given cautiously to emotionally unstable patients, such as those with a
    history of drug dependence or alcoholism, because such patients may increase dosage on their
    own initiative.
    Chronically abusive use can lead to marked tolerance and psychic dependence with
    varying degrees of abnormal behavior. Frank psychotic episodes can occur, especially with
    parenteral abuse. Careful supervision is required during drug withdrawal, since severe
    depression as well as the effects of chronic overactivity can be unmasked. Long-term
    follow-up may be required because of the patient’s basic personality disturbances.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Here is also the adverse effects from the drug company prescribing info, found easily on the internet.

ADVERSE REACTIONS
    Nervousness and insomnia are the most common adverse reactions but are usually controlled
    by reducing dosage and omitting the drug in the afternoon or evening. Other reactions include
    hypersensitivity (including skin rash, urticaria, fever, arthralgia, exfoliative dermatitis,
    erythema multiforme with histopathological findings of necrotizing vasculitis, and
    thrombocytopenic purpura); anorexia; nausea; dizziness; palpitations; headache; dyskinesia;
    drowsiness; blood pressure and pulse changes, both up and down; tachycardia; angina; cardiac
    arrhythmia; abdominal pain; weight loss during prolonged therapy. There have been rare
    reports of Tourette’s syndrome. Toxic psychosis has been reported. Although a definite causal
    relationship has not been established, the following have been reported in patients taking this
    drug: instances of abnormal liver function, ranging from transaminase elevation to hepatic
    coma; isolated cases of cerebral arteritis and/or occlusion; leukopenia and/or anemia; transient
    depressed mood; a few instances of scalp hair loss. Very rare reports of neuroleptic malignant
    syndrome (NMS) have been received, and, in most of these, patients were concurrently
    receiving therapies associated with NMS. In a single report, a ten year old boy who had been
    taking methylphenidate for approximately 18 months experienced an NMS-like event within
    45 minutes of ingesting his first dose of venlafaxine. It is uncertain whether this case
    represented a drug-drug interaction, a response to either drug alone, or some other cause.
    In children, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, weight loss during prolonged therapy,
    insomnia, and tachycardia may occur more frequently; however, any of the other adverse
    reactions listed above may also occur.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:18 AM   #4
    Brenda'sboyzs

Brenda'sboyzs HB User
    I foound this very interesting!! When my son was in 3rd. grade his teacher ask us about the ADD thing. I went to the library in town and read all kinds of books on ADD and the drugs they use to medicate. The one drug I was totally against was Ritilan. It is only 2 milligrams shy of cocain. Same ingredients. I know with all drugs there are side effects and the chance of becoming addicted to it. 2 weeks ago I finally took Zach to the Dr. to have him evaluated for ADD. The Dr. told me he was going to give him so many milligrams of Ritilan!! I just about FLIPPED OUT!!! I told him there was no way in hell he was going to take it, he changed the rx. to Concerta (thank god) I know there are probably things people will say about that ( concerta) There are always side effects to everything, but everything I have heard about this drug are alot better than ritilan. I wish you the best in your decision.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #5
    Oma61

Oma61 HB User
    Brenda...

Just to let you know...Concerta IS Ritalin...methylphenidate...same stuff, just packaged in a special time release pill.

Just wanted to add that my 15 year old daughter takes Concerta and it has been very helpful for her. She has taken methylphenidate in one form or another since she was 6. She is tall (5'8"), beautiful, lively, smart, a cheerleader, has a great part time job and is every mother's dream. Do what is right for your child, don't worry about what others think...only you know your child and your situation.

Best wishes...

[This message has been edited by Oma61 (edited 09-24-2003).]

Old 09-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #6
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User
    My son's Dr. told me that Concerta and Ritalin share the same active ingredient, so I am curious what you have heard about Concerta vs Ritalin. My son has been on both, but has fewer side effects from the Ritalin, probably because we went with the older short-acting form (dose in the morning and another at lunchtime)instead of the newer longer acting version. I like the idea that it is pretty much out of his system by 4:00, although it does make HW more of a challenge! Ritalin has the longest track record, it has been out for +/- 30 years, and there are no proven long term health effects. Strattera is the one I would be cautious about - it is new on the market, a new class of drug, yet already some are reporting serious side effects from it. My son developed severe behavior problems during the 2 months that he was taking it, and there are numerous testimonies from adult males on this board about sexual problems with it. Not something I want to be giving to my pre-puberty son! Adderal is an amphetimine (sp?) so I would prefer to stay away from that too. However, I am always on the lookout for natural supplements that would make it possible for my son to not have to rely on drugs to be able to function in school. I am starting a new thread on possibilities there.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
    Brenda'sboyzs

Brenda'sboyzs HB User
    ohma61,

Very interesting info, I did not know that, Now don't I feel like an idiot!! Thanks for the info, it is just really scary putting your kids on meds that have so many side effects. These boards are new to me, just found it this week and I have already learned alot. Guess we are all in the same boat just wanting the best for our kids. Thanks again, Brenda

Old 09-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
    Oma61

Oma61 HB User
    Brenda,

Don't feel like an idiot! You are trying to be the best mom that you know how to be! You are searching out information and learning...that is NOT what an idiot would do! LOL! You keep up the good work!

My best to you...

Closed Thread