It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Stopping strattera - what is next?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 AM   #1
    Apa6

Apa6 HB User
    Angry Stopping strattera - what is next?

Ok I have had it with this medicine! The side effects are now so annoying that I have made an appt to see my Dr Tommorrow. I have taken Strattera for 3 months now and the daily clear thinking is gone. All I have left is that I wake up at 6am every day. That's it. The male side effects went away after 2 months but the cold sweats, high blood pressure, headaches and stomach problems have made me miserable while I am on this medicine.

I am 31 and so far I have tried adderall XL and strattera. I tried stopping strattera over the weekend and my sweating problem got much better, but in return I am tired all the time. Yesterday I even fell asleep at the wheel and almost crashed on the way home from work. Over the weekend I was feeling very sad and I was spending my money irresponsibly. At least I gave it a good try, but now its just not in my best interests to keep taking it. If for nothing other than its effect on raising my blood pressure ( I am also taking altace for my BP). I even had to get another medicine Pro-Bathine for the very excessive sweating. My hair is soaking wet and my shirt is also wet around my shoulders and neck. But the worst part is that I am not hot I have this irritating cold sweat that makes me feel like I am sick.

I took it again last night and as before I woke up at 6 am this morning. But the drive to work was a nightmare. Right now my blood pressure is so high that I have a severe headache. It just doesn't seem like it is doing what I hoped it would.

I need to go back on a stimulant. As I said Adderall is all I have tried. I think I have three options
    - Adderall
    - dexedrine
    - Ritalin/concerta

I was on 40 mg adderall XR but it started to get a little weaker after 3 months. Have any of you adults out there been on all three or can you reccomend which one might be the best or explain the differences between them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 07:13 AM   #2
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    How do you know that your blood pressure is high? If you have had it checked fine but if you haven't had it checked and just assume it is high but don't know then get it checked. You mention falling asleep at the wheel.............have you been checked for narcolepsy? Also there are dozens of medications that can be used to help your ADD and not just the ones mentioned. Your doc can help you find a combination of meds that works well for you. You mentioned that you have an appoinment with the doc but why not call the office today and see if he won't phone in a prescription for you to get you started until you can be seen in the office.

Old 09-23-2003, 08:43 AM   #3
    Apa6

Apa6 HB User
    I already have high BP and I have a home monitor. The medicine has increased it by 20/10 overall. I am on Altace 2.5mg for that and I can increase the dosage to 5.0 as needed. But I don't like the fact that strattera has increased my BP.

I will see if I can get the Dr on the phone.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
    ThomasJ

ThomasJ HB User
    I too have given up on Strattera. I started on it the first of July, and the anticholergenic effects of it basically shut down my digestive system. I went 16 days without using the bathroom, so I stopped taking it. It's been over a month since I stopped and I am JUST NOW getting back to normalcy in that area. My MD was extremely concerned about this, and was ready to admit me to the hospital because I was basically solidly impacted to the point of near-danger. I still have sometimes severe abdominal pain from the impaction, which has still not fully resolved SIX weeks later.

I switched to Concerta two weeks ago, and have been very pleased with the results so far.

Closed Thread