It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Anyone dealing with menopause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User
    Post Anyone dealing with menopause?

Has anyone noticed that they have what feels like ADHD for the 1st time, as they are entering menopause? My poor brain struggles to process simple information and it started at about the same time my hot flashes and other meno symptoms started.
    Sunny

[This message has been edited by sunny6 (edited 09-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
    Charmed

Charmed HB User
    Yep, I can certainly relate! I'm a real scatter-brain lately. I can leave a room and not remember why I left or where I was headed. Menopause is such fun! NOT!

Old 09-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User
    Hi Charmed,
    The cognitive effort is huge right now. That definitely contributes to the free-floating anxiety that I am also residing with, at present. I have been using various supplements, with no particular relief. I have stickies all over the kitchen to remind me of every little thing.
    Any tips to share, anybody?
    Sunny

Last edited by sunny6; 06-14-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
    jcfw
    Inactive
    (female)

jcfw HB User
    Re: Anyone dealing with menopause?

I have had this AHD, forgetfulness and "foggy thinking" all through my perimenopause and I am now taking a drug to induce full menopause, so I'm not looking forward to it getting worse! I already forget what a question was about by the time the person has got to the end of it, and I find myself telling people one thing one day and a complete contradiction of it two days later (and I can never remember telling them the first thing).

If I don't sharpen myself up, I think my husband is going to go mental! How are others dealing with this?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

I tried "weaning" myself off hormone replacement therapy by slowly cutting down the dosage of the pills. When I got to 1/4 the original dosge, I found myself in full-blown menopause. The hot flashes weren't so bad (probably would have been had I gone all the way to zero!), but the worst was the brain fog. Or lack of brain. I couldn't take it and asked for a hormone patch. My brains are back -- at least I'm my normal scattered forgetful ADD self. I expect that someday I'll have to face the brainlessness of menopause -- but it's even worse than ADD!

No advice -- I'm waiting for one of y'all to give us some pearls of wisdom!

--Rheanna

Old 07-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #6
    dixiepeep
    (female)

dixiepeep HB User

After hyst 3 years ago I realized I have ADHD. I used to struggle to get by but since hyst it became a lot worse so I was FINALLY diagnosed at age 39. It was a relief and I was also angry that no one could detect it before. I had no idea what it was until I adopted a child that has it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunny6
    Has anyone noticed that they have what feels like ADHD for the 1st time, as they are entering menopause? My poor brain struggles to process simple information and it started at about the same time my hot flashes and other meno symptoms started.
    Sunny

[This message has been edited by sunny6 (edited 09-28-2003).]

Closed Thread