It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• i have a boy -impulsive but not hyper/meds questions for parents of similar kids

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
    rasiaca
    (female)

rasiaca HB User
    Post i have a boy -impulsive but not hyper/meds questions for parents of similar kids

Hey! Nice to have found this board

I have a nearly 13 yr old boy, who I have initiated testing for ADD, I spoke to his teacher, oddly enough, he is only pro meds 'if it helps him and he doesn't experience the neg side effects', gee me too . This is his first year back at school, in grade 8, after homeschooling him for 5 yrs.

I have always been anti-meds untill recently, and for that matter anti-ADD diagnosing too. I suppose the high numbers of kids diagnosed with it, led me to believe it was a scapegoat.
    I have since come up with a different theory on the high numbers. In a nutshell, I think there is a lot of kids who have 'aquired' it, maybe they have inherited sensitive systems that more easily subject them to it. The most obvious ex. I have is *my friends son* who had 'cat scratch fever'/inflammation of the brain at the age of two. This gentle, loving, meek boy became severely ADHD after he recovered. *My sister*, who was allergic to milk at birth, and would likely have died without one particular formula, seems to have it also. *My son*, who had a platlet transfusion at birth, a lathargic seizure during a flu at 1 yr, and many ear infections during his first few years, is definately ADD. Not at all saying there is never a genetic component mind you, I just think that the increased medical intervention that is saving these lives could be leading to the increased ADD cases, although I am sure some kids are misdiagnosed as well....(there, did I cover my bases ok?)

My son is an incredible challenge. He is not hyper-active, but is easily aroused and rambunctious. He is most definately impulsive, and has problems with attention, organization, fine motor skills (ie. writing), social skills, and emotion management. I think that's about it. There are other things, but they could be secondary symptoms.

I am here because I have spent a lot of effort trying to fix this, and trying to come to grips with it. I have put in countless hrs of research over the past week.

I originally pulled him out of school in grade 2 because of his social problems, and his lack of work and writing skills. I thought it was the schools fault. After homeschooling him under the guise of building him a strong foundation I have realized that he just plain struggles with writing and no amount of exercise will help it. I only just discovered that it was also a sign of ADD! He still had the attention problems, and the social problems as well(yes, homeschoolers do socialize ) I am so frustrated and exhausted, and sad too.

If I decide to believe in ODD, I am sure he would qualify for that too. And possible OCD or anxiety, but that may be due to the frustrations of his primary ADD.

I guess I am curious to hear from parents who have kids with ADD+impulsivity, -hyperactivity. What meds have worked for you? Did stimulants make the impulsivity worse? Cuz I don't want to make that worse, lol.

I also feel guilty about labeling him disordered, I hope he isn't taking it personally. I would love for the meds to be a success story. I have tried EFA's, but maybe not for long enough... he is a picky eater so vitamins may help too. I would like to try meds too though, as it is quick, and time is of the essence for him socially at school...and for his family life too.

Another thing I found interesting is that A LOT of famous ADDers are also southpaws. I am one too, but not ADD. I wonder if there is a connection there though...
    Anyways, sorry about the novel :0...Anna

[This message has been edited by rasiaca (edited 09-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    Welcome to the board!

Well the connection to left handedness and ADHD is that left handers think mostly with their right brain. Right brained people do things differently then Left brained (right handers are left brained) The traits of people who are right brained are very similar to the symptoms of ADHD. Not to say that someone cant be right brained and ADHD, because they can. But many times ADHD is misdiagnosed in people who are just right-brained thinkers.

My cousin has that type of ADD(like your sons). He takes clonidine for it.

Stimulants might make him less impulsive and help him focus but you mentioned you think he may have anxiety... in which case stimulants would be no good. Also you mentioned problems with emotion management. Depending on the cause of these certain meds could make it worse while others could make it better. If it is just out of frusteration because of lack of concentration or something like that stimulants may help. But, there are a lot of causes of emotional instability and many times the stimulants can make it worse.

Wellbutrin is commonly used for ADD, for some it works for others it doesnt. And of course I am sure you have heard about strattera (the newest ADHD med, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)

Please dont just try for a quick fix and then give up searching for healthier ways to deal with your sons problems. Diet, vitamin supplements, and other non-med treatments can all make a great difference in a persons life. So, while your son is on meds keep looking for other treatments & even better medications too.... do your own research you may find something your doc doesnt know about.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --Andrew Jackson

Old 09-29-2003, 06:27 AM   #3
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    Hi my son also is impulsive but not really hyper. He takes 27 mg of concerta and I find it really helps. It does not change his personality he is not emotional on it and he is really happy and focused. We had him on adderal xr and I did not like him on it at all. My son has anxiety but we have addressed it by using omega 3 fishoils and becalm'd. These combination has been a life saver for us. I am hoping that as he matures we can eliminate the concerta but for noe it has calmed him down so he can think before he reacts.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
    rasiaca
    (female)

rasiaca HB User
    Thanks so much for taking the time to give your input, I really appreciate it.

I went and bought the EFA tablets, I don't have a credit card to buy the BeCalm'd from the net, and my health food store doesn't sell it, I have the ingredients though, and I am going to see if I can get something similar, or else just put it on my sister's card... She sold me something called Rescue Remedy Spray, like a binaca that you spray in your mouth when you get stressed out or anxious, hmmmm.?We'll see, he seems receptive to trying it anyways.

His teacher let him take his work to another class just for the book work today, he liked it alright and apparently got a fair amount done. On the other hand, he has been doing/not doing his homework for several hrs now, he has done everything between killing a bug, to asking me conversational questions, to singing and on and on....and on. He is nearly done his rough copy and is trying to con me into typing it for him, lol.

Anyway, I will see what his teacher filled out on the ADD 'test' tomorrow, and we will see, I am going to wait before I take it to the doctor to see if I can get him calmed down -anxiety wise, with that becalmed stuff or something of the like.
    Thank you very much, I feel a lot more clear about treatment options now...it's so hard with all the different variants of ADD, and comorbidity etc. to figure it all out. Glad I am a follower in this case.
    Anna

Old 09-29-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    What are the ingrediants in the Rescue Remedy Spray?

You can get the ingrediants in beCalmd seperatly but the doses of each ingrediant would be much too high. Some vitamin stores will make speciality supplements at your request with the ingrediants and dosages that you want.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --Andrew Jackson

Old 09-30-2003, 06:34 AM   #6
    rasiaca
    (female)

rasiaca HB User
    Active Ingredients: 5X dilution of Helianthemum nummularium HPUS, Clematis vitalba HPUS, Impatiens glandulifera HPUS, Prunus cerasifera HPUS, Ornithogalum umbellatum HPUS Inactive Ingredients: 27% alcohol. Free from artificial additives and suitable for vegans. (Bach original flower essences Rescue remedy Spray, Natural Stress relief)

Old 09-30-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
    It's interesting that you brought up ear infections in small children with ADD, as I have just recently bought "Live right for your type" and not only is ADD (minus hyperactivity, ADHD is much more common in another blood group) very commonly diagnosed in people with Blood Type B (Only 8% of the population are that blood group), but there is a particularly high occurrence in children who are both blood type B and have suffered repeated inner/middle ear infections at a pre-school age.

There haven't been any detailed studies done but this type does seem to have a predisposition to problems with concentration, focus and organisation, which gets excarbated with other problems (difficult pregnancy/birth, mother smoking during pregnancy, repeated illness as a toddler etc.).

(All are things that fit me 100%)

------------------
    Redhead23

Female, 25

Quit smoking & left abusive relationship in 2003 - now there's just some 25 lbs to lose and I'm happy again

Possible ADD

Anxiety, panic attacks

[This message has been edited by Redhead23 (edited 09-30-2003).]

Inhibited Perfectionist

Closed Thread