It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Calling all Moms of younger kids on Strattera......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Lightbulb Calling all Moms of younger kids on Strattera......

How about we post how are kids are doing with it?

My son who is 9 will be starting on Saturday. 25mg for 4 days then 40 mg for the rest ...... He is 72 pounds and tall... I will start posting a diary of what is going on if others will do so too to help me.... Sound like a good idea?......

[This message has been edited by mommtothree (edited 07-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    Talking

My son is also 9 but only weighs 56 pds. We started straterra 5 weeks ago and overall I am very pleased. He is much happier and calmer than he was on adderal he also can now fall asleep much easier and he is eating which is huge because he is so skinny. I will warn you that at week two he became very moody and emotional. It did go away within a few days. also I find that one dose a day ins not enough to make it through the day. I give him a 10mg. pill at about 4:00 and that makes it last.He takes 25 mg in the morning. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck

Old 07-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    My son is 8 and has been on Strattera for about three months, this is his first med. The first week or two were tough very tired and nauseous. We too went through a moody stage but he seems to be out of it now. Overall the response has been great. Much calmer more focused, we had big impulse issues and this seems to have helped alot. He got the best report card he's ever had this past June. He is starting to make some friends and his self esteem is slowly working it's way up. I don't think I saw how much the adhd was eating away at his self confidence until we put him on the drugs and saw the change. Good luck to you hope you have the same results we did. Any questions... shoot them my way I'd be happy to help if I can. I know this board has saved my sanity, having people to relate to been priceless.

[This message has been edited by relieved mom (edited 07-01-2003).]

Old 07-01-2003, 07:21 PM   #4
    KayKay

KayKay HB User
    My son is 11 years old. Weight 70 lbs. We tried ritilin, aderall, and Concerta off and on for 2 years. Doctors took him off all meds when he lost way to much weight and the meds would stop working and they would increase then a few months later they would stop again.

After 2 years of no meds. We tried strattera. Started on 25mg for 4 days. Had to give it to him at night because he could not stay awake during the day. Seemed to be working. We did note the moody period about 1 week into the meds. Then he started complaining of a stomach ache. Found out he was constipated. Gave him something for that. Which gave him some relief. Then it keep happening. Went back to the doctor she said give it 2 more weeks if the constipation does not stop take him off the meds.

Well after a month of meds we had to stop. He would go for 6 days at a time and not be able to go to the bathroom. Even after starting him on benifiber 2 times a day.

So we are medicine free again. I will report that the strattera just did not seem to work all that great. It did slow him down, but was not a calm effect it was a dead tired state. Also did not seem to help him focus. Only good thing I noted was he went to bed really early and his mood was some what better.

Oh also the meds caused him to wake a number of times during the night and had a hard time returning to sleep. Now that he is off the meds. He is resting well again and the constipation has stopped.

We are going to stay off meds for the rest of the summer and see how he does when school starts.

Kay

Old 07-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
    T-bone-Mama
    (female)

T-bone-Mama HB User
    My son who just turned 9 was on Strattera for two months (Feb.-March) His behavior took a drastic change for the worse. He became paranoid to the point of being terrified of going to school because he thought bombs were going to blow the building up. He could not function in the classroom - he would hide in the closet, lay down under his desk, and constantly call out. He was in the Principal's office every day, and did not even understand why. It took several weeks for the drug to get out of his system, and it was during this time that he was re-evaluated by the child study team and diagnosed with Pervasive Development Disorder NOS with a recommendation for full-time special ed in a class for kids with behavior disorders. The ONLY time my son had such severe symptoms of PDD was while he was on Strattera; he is otherwise a pretty normal ADHD kid with some outstanding qualities along with his idiosyncrosies. He is now on Ritalin (15 mg. in the morning and 10mg. at lunch time), and is doing very well. For him, Strattera was literally a nightmare.

[This message has been edited by T-bone-Mama (edited 07-02-2003).]

Old 07-02-2003, 05:37 AM   #6
    COURTNEYS_MOM

COURTNEYS_MOM HB User
    Wow, TBone.

My daughter has been on Strattera since mid May. She seemed to be very tired for around a week or so. Then that wore off.

She was only on it for a few weeks during school time. School was over for her around the second week of school.

Right now I'm not sure if the Strattera is starting to lose it's affect. She seems to be very impulsive again, I noticed on the weekend. But it could have been due to the fact that she was excited because we had a lot going on.

She goes to a summer camp at her daycare so I plan on talking to her teacher to see how her behavior is.

We've been doing some reading to try and improve her skills. We read every other night for around 30 minutes. She seems pretty focused.

I'm hoping that the strattera will work and keep working because I don't really think I'd like to switch up and keep trying to find the "perfect med" for her.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    I am glad that you guys have replied and I have this board to come to.. Today was day three of Strattera. He is on 25mg thru tomorrow then will jump to 40.. so far nothing really seems too different..

He is ADHD with very impulsive behavior (which is why is he is in so much trouble at home and school).. He is eating really well, so far no constipation and seems to be as active as ever.. We alos were advised to give him his meds at night, what time fo day do you give yours to your child?

I am keeping a daily log and I also jotted down the symptons that you guys mentioned too....It helps!!

To those of you off Strattera, keep in touch with us on what your child is doing now so we can at least all help each other.. If anyone needs help with adderall xr questions fire away here and I will see what I can do to help....

[This message has been edited by mommtothree (edited 07-07-2003).]

Old 07-07-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    I also noticed that we all seem to have kids the same age and I wondered about the doses of medicine our kids were on.. My son is 72 pounds and 9 and is on 25mg thru tomorrow then ups to 40 mg. I just read the thread about the sexual problems in men taking strattera and saw that one of the men over there is on 54 mgs a day.. Now why would my son be on such a high dose (40mg) to start?? Anyone else concerned over that and the thread about sexual dysfunction?

Old 07-08-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
    GirlNamedSue

GirlNamedSue HB User
    Cool

Hi everyone, thanks for the board. I'm sure no one else can understand our unique challenges quite like WE can understand each other's. My girl is 10 years old and started Strattera 3 months ago. She was diagnosed with ADHD in 2nd grade and used Concerta for about 6 months, had to discontinue due to stomach pains and sleeplessness, then was on Adderall for about a year. The Adderall worked well but she didn't eat much and it made her too edgy and the crashing afternoon period (right on top of homework, of course!) was terrible. Some sleeplessness too. So when I heard about Straterra I wanted to try it. I really like that it is not a stimulant or a controlled substance, makes getting scrip fills so much easier (and cheaper!) with 90 day mail order. As far as how she is doing - well, it took about a month adjustment period. She is focusing MUCH better. The doctor said Strattera has a cumulative effect; but I can definitely see an immediate effect within an hour of taking the meds. She has somewhat of a 'flat affect' when medicated; but oddly, even though she might seem disinterested in a given activity, after it is over she will comment "I enjoyed that (activity) more than anything ever!". That in itself is unusual for her. I would describe her demeanor when medicated as "full contact" as opposed to very surface, limited contact when not medicated. So I have to conclude that she is feeling and experiencing more while medicated than she is letting on at the time. Also, the 'rebound effect' is bad when the meds wear off. She has a more marked 'hyper' period when the meds wear off. She gets very cranky and has the 'pit viper' disposition for a few hours. I have considered adding a second dose in the afternoon. She is currently taking 25 mg. which seems adequate dose but I would like to see an extended release for longer duration. Her grades were average this semester and slightly up from last semester on Adderall (even though she has a gifted IQ of 131). It was a rocky period of adjustment, however so I am hopeful for better grades next year. For the record, I was totally opposed to meds when she first got the ADHD diagnosis. Then, our psychologist commented to me one day that if we did not medicate, my girl's grades would probably continue to decline, her self esteem would snowball downhill and such cases often ultimately drop out of school. That persuaded me to use the meds, although I constantly second guess that decision. I'm not sure why things are the way they are - but that IS the reality we have to deal with and we are dealing with it daily via lots of structure, consistency, boundaries, love and meds. I never pictured myself as a 24-hour a day drill sergeant but that is me. In the years where she should start to be doing things on her own I find that I must still monitor her constantly. In a nutshell, for example - the other day we were riding in the car, I was driving along and we were chatting and laughing. Having a normal conversation. She was relating to me coherently and with full contact. Normal. I hate to use that word, but that is what Strattera is doing for us. For now, anyway. Stay tuned. Good luck to you all and please keep posting so I will know I am not alone.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi gang ,

Day 6 here and absolutley amazing... A little stomachache but thats about it.. He is really doing well and even told me he feels better and wants to do beter. I can totally relate to what you posted Agirlname sue about riding in the car.. The little things are such a blessing... Well wanted to let everyone know how we are doing....

Old 07-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #11
    firebug31

firebug31 HB User
    Hello, well I am not a mom but a Dad with an 8 year old son who has been on Strattera for two months now. Funny thing about us is that I also have ADHD which I found after reading about my son. He started on Concerta and I on Strattera. He started getting too many facial clicks on concerta, and I had the sexual side affects you read about as well as being tired during the day and not sleeping at night. Heres the funny part I switched to Adderal and he to Strattera. He is doing well. He had the extreme tiredness but our phsycologist recommended he take it at bed time. He takes 40mg and started with 20. He is on summer break so we can not yet compare it to concerta as far as school work but his baseball coach made an extremely cool comment the other day. He said "I wanted you to know how much your son has grown in the past few months with the baseball" He had improved vastly with attention, patience, teamwork all of the above. I am very pleased so far with his results. Looking forward to school starting again to see if he gets the same or better results with the grades.

------------------

Old 07-15-2003, 07:20 AM   #12
    meckman

meckman HB User
    I'm another one with a son on Strattera. He's 11 years old, an only child, and weighs 60 pounds. He's very bright but has trouble making and maintaining friendships, even though he's a nice kid, partly because he can seem aloof and disinterested. He's been responding pretty well to the strattera; he's on 36 mg/day, which seems an odd dosage: it's two 18-mg tablets in the morning. My husband's not happy with him taking any drugs but understands the necessity for now.

Does anyone else notice a difficulty making and maintaining friendships in thier children, and has straterra made any difference in this? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

meckman

Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #13
    nels10

nels10 HB User
    Hi, I have been reading this posting about kids and Strattas. My doctor just recemended this med for my 13 year old daughter. I am very hesitant about trying her on another med. She has had a drastic weight loss (due to the stimulate medication). She was taking dexidrine.

She currently weights 83lb that is up 8lbs since she stopped the stimulate a month ago.

She also has a very difficult time making and keeping friends. Social skills counsling was recomended by her doctor. Lindsey has been going for about 6 months now and things are improving some but very slowly. This is something that take time. She just misses social cue that most people pick up.

Every child with ADHD is different. I have 2 daughter that both have been diagnosed with ADHD. My oldest daughter is a social butterfly, where Lin isn't. Believe me it breaks my heart to see her left out!

Nels

Old 07-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #14
    Oma61

Oma61 HB User
    My 14 year old daughter was on Strattera for about 3 weeks. She really liked how it worked...made her feel calm and focused, but she broke out with a severe case of hives and swelling of the extremities so we had to stop the meds. After the Strattera was stopped, the hives went away. Don't know if it was the Strattera or not, but am afraid to try it again as the swelling was SO bad that it was very scary! My daughter did like the way the Strattera helped her mind, though.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:31 AM   #15
    COURTNEYS_MOM

COURTNEYS_MOM HB User
    My daughter does not have a lot of friends. Most of the children in her class at school don't like her. She's always saying how much the kids don't like her and how they talk about her and make her feel bad about herself.

I talk to her everyday about this and try to let her know that she is beautiful inside and out.

The Strattera has not helped her in social situations. She is seeing a psychologist but that doesn't seem to be working either.

I've been trying to get her into small play groups (she's 7) with maybe one or two other children. That way she can play and if necessary I can redirect her when she acts out of line.

Over the weekend we went to a park with a friends son and all was well for the first hour or so but after that my daughter turned mean and nasty. She was acting very selfish and bossy. I had to redirect her several times and even had to pull her to the side once.

I guess everything takes time.

Closed Thread