It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• concerta cause depression in kids?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
    cajunqueen

cajunqueen HB User
    Question concerta cause depression in kids?

Has anyone heard of concerta causing depression in children? My son is 10 yrs old and weighs 50lbs. He is so small and thin due to the medications he has been on over the years for his ADHD.
    Is stratera any better? I am most worried about his weight and the mood swings.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Yes, I've heard of it. My nephew would have crying spells on Adderall, stomach pain and aggressive behavior. Strattera seemed better, but then he developed severe fatigue all the time. Finally, his parents had enough of side effects and now he is not on any drugs and no more mood swings.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
    keepingfaith

Quote:
    Originally posted by cajunqueen:
    Has anyone heard of concerta causing depression in children? My son is 10 yrs old and weighs 50lbs. He is so small and thin due to the medications he has been on over the years for his ADHD.
    Is stratera any better? I am most worried about his weight and the mood swings.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    My son takes concerta and he has done much better this school year, but he does have an eating disorder with this medication. He has taken Strattera in the past and it also caused an eating disorder, he also stayed tired all the time and then after he had been taking the med for a while he started having mood swings everyday as the medication wore off. My son is 6 years old and weighs 29 pounds. He has taken a number of medications in the past. Concerta has been the only one to help him. I will tell you this all children react differently to the different medications as you probley already know. Ill pray that you and your son gets through this.

Old 10-18-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
    jboon
    (female)

jboon HB User
    My son is 11 and weighs about 72 lbs. He was on concerta for a year and a half. It worked great for his ADHD but he had no appetite and severe insomnia. He now takes strattera and concerta. For him, the strattera eliminates many of the side effects of the stimulant. He now eats better, sleeps well, and has no stimulant "let down". In addition, the strattera helps our son's anxiety. I wish you luck finding a balance of what works for your child. It is so hard.

Old 10-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
    adhdmomma

adhdmomma HB User
    I have a 10 year old son that has been on concerta for 2 and a half years and he has went thru it all. Depression, insomnia, mood swings, ect. A lot of it (it seems) depends on the class situation and I also had him re-evaluated by a child psycoligist and we started weekly counseling. They backed his meds back down from 64 miligrams to 36 a day. Counseling is the best step we ever took though. At 64 we had bad cases of dry heaves almost nightly because no matter what you offered him he wouldn't eat until he was already feeling sick. at 36 a day he is about to eat me out of house & home. He has more friends this year than he has ever had and has been able to keep them. I give his wonderful counseler this credit.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 PM   #6
    Kells2hyper

Kells2hyper HB User
    I noticed myself having mood swings coming off of the concerta at the end of the night. The doctor put me on 10 mg of Paxil. I think it must be working b/c i don't get depressed as often. I still have loss of appetite, but when I go out to lunch with friends it makes me eat, but if i'm at home, then I don't eat cause nothing seems good enough to prompt my appetite. Anyways, that might have just been rambling, sorry, goodluck

Closed Thread