It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ANYONE on SEROQUEL or zyprexa etc ......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
    Savant Boy

Savant Boy HB User
    Post ANYONE on SEROQUEL or zyprexa etc ......

can someone please give me some first hand info on these type drugs please?

I know they are the new atypical anti-psychotics used mostly for schizophrenia but thats about all i know.

I'm certain i dont have a full blown version of this illness cos i am still in contact with reality in alot of ways that sufferers are not.
    However slowly but surely i'm getting worse...memory loss in the extreme, hearing voices, seeing things sometimes(very frightening!) & yet despite all this i could always tell whats in my head from whats not but that boundary is fast losing its grip....

any info is appreciated please.
    Oh & by the way just so you know that i'm in the right forum, I do have ADD as well. Plus about 8 other mental issues...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    They are used for mild, and moderate cases as well as severe. Just a thought, but you mention you have 8 other mental health issues. Do you think maybe they have given you some misdiagnosis? Its possible they havent even found whats really wrong and if they did it would account for all or most of your symptoms. I really think you should look into getting a new psychiatrist and having him evaluate you without seeing your past diagnostic history.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    go to zyprexa.com for full prescribing information.

These drugs are linked to diabetes, tardive dyskinesia and neuroleptic malignant syndrome, amoung other things. If you are getting worse, perhaps you could discuss other options with your doctor? Do you take anything for ADD? Do you take any vitamins? I've heard alot of schizo-type symptoms could be caused by severe B vitamin deficiency. Anyway, you never should cold turkey any drug you are on, but maybe you should explore some other options, since this drug is not helping(as you said you are getting worse) and it can cause some health problems.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
    Savant Boy

Savant Boy HB User
    ok i didn't explain that well. And now i have to go out....so i'll try to summarize it.

I have ADD. been diagnosed twice. first off when i was 10. second time when i was 16.

i'm now 17 and the second time i was diagnosed i made all the arrangements with the gps/referals/paediatrician etc.
    now this doc i saw was a private one so it ended up costing **** loads for me on my petty income, however i thought it to be worth it if this medication could help me right?

anyway long story short it didn't do much for me at all except probably kill a few more brain cells than i care to think about. thats because i was out of home at the time and i couldn't take it in proper dosages. what teen could under the circumstances? so i keep up this pattern for awhile on dexies & then later Ritalin, which i'm still on today.

sorry if i got off track there im really tired but theres one more thing i have to say. i'm sick of making up **** & lying to people. so i'm about to be honest.
    You know how internet users in forums & chat rooms can basically choose any number of identies to become?

well i'm sorta like that in real life. Just a big fake.
    One minute i'm a kid studying doing well with ambitions, then i'm a away buzzing on speed all night talking to myself, then i'm in 20 different doctors offices the next day becoming somebody new.

See i must have a poor identity problem....no real sense of sense.
    thats why i have ADD, Bi-polar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, social phobia, body morphic dys, panic attacks/anxiety, aspergers, tourettes, etc etc....i have a different doctor for nearly all those issues.
    & the ****ed up thing that i finally realized is that i can literally(is that the right word?) become someone with these symptoms on a given day, but i never know which one i'll be.

maybe im schizophrenic? not likely, i have been doing alot of speed. the symptoms are bound to be alike.

maybe i've that multiple personalty disorder or DiD as its now known. it suits me to a tee the only reason i have not considered it much is cos they say it is very rare. anyway i gotta go man. someone write back & talk

Old 10-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Stimulants can definantly cause skitzo symptoms. There is something called substance induced skitzophrenia. Maybe you are suffering from that. I think that it would benefit you to get off stimulant medications as well as illegal drugs. Go to an inpatient program. Then after that they will be able to better see whats going on with you. If you can have a different disorder on different days then you do not have that disorder. Symptoms must be constant for a certain time period in order for it to be a disorder. I think you need to get ONE doctor who can help you with all of your problems. Maybe you do have MPD. Do you ever lose time? Do people know you by different names? Have you had a traumatic past? Of course you don't need to answer. Please find a better doctor. You need one psychiatrist who can help you!! Having so many different ones makes no sense. They may make diagnosis that the other would disagree with, while you may only be suffering from one you will be treated for both due to lack of communication between doctors.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Well, now that I know you have taken meds for ADD that does explain some things...I agree with Free*Spirit here, some of your troubles could be drug-induced. Basically, by taking Ritalin and Zyprexa, you are on uppers and downers, which would explain your cycling moods/personalities. I'm sure when Zyprexa makes you too lethargic and depressed, you crave more speed; when the speed is too much and you are too manic, you can calm can down with Zyprexa. It's a rollercoaster.
    This is a very dangerous thing to do to your brain.

Finding another doc, getting off drugs properly(aka slowly) might be a start. According to the psychiatric community, Ritalin should have prevented you from abusing drugs like speed.....guess they were wrong yet again.

[This message has been edited by Jennita (edited 10-22-2003).]

Old 10-22-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

If someone has ADD or ADHD stimulant medications may prevent them from self medicating with marijuana or cocaine.

If someone has ADD or ADHD along with the "addict gene" stimulant medication may activate addiction causing abuse of medications as well as illegal drugs such as crack cocaine.

------------------

Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 AM   #8
    Sarmor

Sarmor HB User
    I usually post on the autism board because I have a son on the autism spectrum. He was on zyprexa for impulse control and aggression. I highly recommend avoiding this medication unless you are seriously ill. It causes extreme weight gain, constant hunger and lethargy in most of the kids I have seen who have taken it. The side effects become huge and when we took our son off it, he lost thirty pounds in the first few months, stopped eating everything in sight and was happier. I would never tell someone what to take - a good (and they are hard to find) well informed doctor should be able to help. I personally think that zyprexa is given a little too casually.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:20 PM   #9
    stefaan_meeuws

stefaan_meeuws HB User
    Question 900mg of Seroquel and freaking out / somebody help, please

Summary: 900mg of Seroquel and 60mg of Ritalin / freaking out on Seroquel _big_ time - what the heck is wrong with my shrink (I, personally, was doing juust fine on juust my regular Ritalin - which I'm now in my tenth (10th) year of taking). Somebody please tell me how to persuade my shrink to f* forget about the Seroquel and drop it.

My shrink ordered me to take 900mg of Seroquel, building up to that dose in one week. He must think I'm skitzo (well, he's dead wrong).

The first time I took Seroquel (I'm guessing that was about a 150mg dose) I started hallucinating. The television started to talk to me. Freaked me out.

The night before last it was the second night I took 3 times 300mg of Seroquel. All HELL broke loose. Visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations. A spot on the floor started to crawl like a spider. I was falling asleep and I heard my mom call my name. I jolted out of bed as if struck by a 10,000 Volt bolt of lightning.

I ended up in the emergency room where I was given a shot (IM) of Temesta and three capsules of Tranxene. I did sleep a little bit that night (and I got up to have a sigarette about four times).

As of today I am _still_ ordered to take 900mg, but now instead of taking it all at once I get to take 300mg in the AM, 300mg at lunch time, and 300mg at bed time. As a result, after about 30 minutes of taking Seroquel I walk and talk like a drunk (thick tongue, wailing sounds), and I get very sleepy.

Can anyone - please, please - give me some cold, rational argument to make my shrink change his mind and leave out the Seroquel.

Sincere thanks for your reply.

stefaan dot r dot m dot meeuws at pandora dot be

PS. I will be trying to post this same message in other threads also.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    You really need a cold, rational arguement? You mean to tell me your obviously very, very unpleasant reactions to taking the med isn't enough to convince your doctor it might not be good for you? Is he that retarded?

Ritalin, as mentioned here, and all stimulants can cause psychosis. But it sounds like the Seroquel is having some paradoxial effect on you. Well, if I were you I'd go to the Seroquel website for the PDF prescribing info, as there are lots of additional arguements on that for your doctor as to why this med can maybe be really, really unhealthy for you. Here's some little tidbits you could discuss with your doctor:

Tardive akathisia
    Tardive dyskinesia
    Diabetes
    hyperglycemia
    pancreatitis
    Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
    Seizures
    Hypothyroidism
    Cholesterol and Triglyceride Elevations

Remember, never cold turkey a psychoactive medication.

Last edited by Jennita; 11-04-2003 at 10:26 PM.

Closed Thread