It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2003, 04:04 PM   #46
    limitnothing

limitnothing HB User
    Unhappy

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, (then ADD) about 10 years ago. I have been taking Ritalin for most of this time, and while I have learned to manage the physical side effects of the drug (insomnia and loss of appetite) there have been more severe mental and emotional repercussions of this medication as I have gotten older that have made me stop taking it. On Ritalin I feel at times extreme social anxiety, blank unsocial moodiness, indecisiveness, and again irrational anxiety about speaking up. I stutter, I worry, I stress and agonize over the things I am not getting done. I onl;y feel this way, when I am on my meds, when I am not I feel fine. So about 3 or 4 weeks ago I stopped taking it. Well socially, mentally and emotionally I feel fine. I feel normal and great actually. But much like high school, my life is starting to slip in all the ways it does with ADHD, the quality of my work, sloppiness, timing, diligence with tasks, my desk is a mess and I am starting to make up excuses for my lack of productivity. I am acting like a 16 year old scatterbrain instead of a 27 year old woman. So while I do not think Ritalin is right for me, I am also coming to terms with the fact that I need something. Anyway, getting to the point....I have starting seeing a psychiatrist to explore other drug options. He recommended Straterra mentioning that maybe the stimulant aspect of Ritalin was what was causing the high levels of anxiety. However after reading the long line of emails involving Straterra horror stories, I want to cry. I cannot go on taking Ritalin and really need another alternative, I am concerned that the other stimulant drugs are going to stimulate the same emotional side effects, and the one non-stimulant option sounds like it is going to mess with me emotionally as bad as Ritalin did. If there are any of you out there that have experience with adult ADD and the drugs out there, I would love to hear from you or any words of comfort, I feel like in switching meds I am switching from one evil to another, is there no happy medium with ADD treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #47
    limitnothing

limitnothing HB User
    Unhappy

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, (then ADD) about 10 years ago. I have been taking Ritalin for most of this time, and while I have learned to manage the physical side effects of the drug (insomnia and loss of appetite) there have been more severe mental and emotional repercussions of this medication as I have gotten older that have made me stop taking it. On Ritalin I feel at times extreme social anxiety, blank unsocial moodiness, indecisiveness, and again irrational anxiety about speaking up. I stutter, I worry, I stress and agonize over the things I am not getting done. I onl;y feel this way, when I am on my meds, when I am not I feel fine. So about 3 or 4 weeks ago I stopped taking it. Well socially, mentally and emotionally I feel fine. I feel normal and great actually. But much like high school, my life is starting to slip in all the ways it does with ADHD, the quality of my work, sloppiness, timing, diligence with tasks, my desk is a mess and I am starting to make up excuses for my lack of productivity. I am acting like a 16 year old scatterbrain instead of a 27 year old woman. So while I do not think Ritalin is right for me, I am also coming to terms with the fact that I need something. Anyway, getting to the point....I have starting seeing a psychiatrist to explore other drug options. He recommended Straterra mentioning that maybe the stimulant aspect of Ritalin was what was causing the high levels of anxiety. However after reading the long line of emails involving Straterra horror stories, I want to cry. I cannot go on taking Ritalin and really need another alternative, I am concerned that the other stimulant drugs are going to stimulate the same emotional side effects, and the one non-stimulant option sounds like it is going to mess with me emotionally as bad as Ritalin did. If there are any of you out there that have experience with adult ADD and the drugs out there, I would love to hear from you or any words of comfort, I feel like in switching meds I am switching from one evil to another, is there no happy medium with ADD treatment?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #48
    Bryan2Unkool

Bryan2Unkool HB User
    Hi, i'm 15 and a junior in high school. My experience with strattera was horrible. Like the last person said, the stimulant medications were making me feel absolutely terrible with strong social anxiety and depression.
    so....my doctor suggested I try the so-called "wonder drug" strattera. after 3 weeks of being on it, I felt absolutely no benefits from it and it was making me depressed. After telling my doctor, he told me to stick with it and that it usually takes a month to feel the full affect.
    TWO months later, my once booming social life had dwindled into nothingness due to drug induced social anxiety. As if that wasn't bad enough, I still couldnt concentrate at all so I was failing school. By this time I felt absolute hatred for the situation I was in. I thought "Why in the hell should I have to sacrafice my friendships and personality in order to do well in school." My experience with strattera ended with me having a nervous break down during school and crying for what seemed like 4 straight hours. The adderall made me depressed too, but because of the way it worked I could at least choose when I wanted to take it.

Sooooooo...all you concerned parents out there, do your kids a favor and don't put them on this strattera bull****.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:17 AM   #49
    dede333

dede333 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by thais430:
    Hi everyone.

I have a 12 year old son on Straterra. I had tried Adderal when he was 6. I had a horrible experience for it made my son severely depressed and I took him off of it. I was very hessitant to try anything else. This year, after my son failing the 6th grade and on his way to failing again, I decided to try again. They started him on Straterra. At first, he had a lot of stomach problems, he was very withdrawn and lost a lot of weight. His grades went up from straight F's to straight A's. I took him back to the doctor and they adjusted his medication. The have him about 1/3 of the dose and he is doing fine. The only problem that he has is stomach problems, not so severe as before. I would not give up on the medication so quickly. Ask your doctor if maybe you can decrease the dosage and see what happens. I can honestly say that Straterra has changed our lives. My son is so focused now and he loves school. He is participating in class, comes home and does his homework on his own and he is much calmer.

I wish you all luck. Please feel free to contact me if you need someone to talk to.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #50
    dede333

dede333 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by thais430:
    Hi everyone.

I have a 12 year old son on Straterra. I had tried Adderal when he was 6. I had a horrible experience for it made my son severely depressed and I took him off of it. I was very hessitant to try anything else. This year, after my son failing the 6th grade and on his way to failing again, I decided to try again. They started him on Straterra. At first, he had a lot of stomach problems, he was very withdrawn and lost a lot of weight. His grades went up from straight F's to straight A's. I took him back to the doctor and they adjusted his medication. The have him about 1/3 of the dose and he is doing fine. The only problem that he has is stomach problems, not so severe as before. I would not give up on the medication so quickly. Ask your doctor if maybe you can decrease the dosage and see what happens. I can honestly say that Straterra has changed our lives. My son is so focused now and he loves school. He is participating in class, comes home and does his homework on his own and he is much calmer.

I wish you all luck. Please feel free to contact me if you need someone to talk to.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:46 AM   #51
    dede333

dede333 HB User
    my 14 yr old has just starting taking 18mg of straterra.i was very hesitant about putting him on medication.i tried the fish oil for a while,with no improvement.i was at wits end with him, he woulndt go to bed at night and i couldnt get him out of bed in the morning he was constantly tardy for school, resulting in daily after school sessions.his behavior is so erratic and he already is moody even before taking strattera.this is the first week on meds.he is so tired all the time,came home from school and went to bed at 3 and woke up at 10.the doctor upped his dose to 25mg and then wants him up to 40mg and eventually at 60mg.my concern is that it maybe too much..i think the small dose maybe all right and gradually up it,wont it just make him more tired? does he need to get used to it first?this is a fairly new drug and i am concerned about the side effects...pleasesomeone give me some feedback

Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 AM   #52
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User
    It just makes me so mad that the doctors do not inform the parents properly about Strattera. First of all, the sleepyness is normal for about the first week. It will go away. More and more people take Strattera before bedtime and can deal with the sleepyness much better. Many kids fall asleep in school at their desks when starting out on Strattera. Strattera is not a stimulant and therefor does NOT wear off after 8 or 10 hours, but is supposed to work 24/7. Strattera needs to build up in your son's body and it may take up to 2 months to see an effect. It is normal to start with a very low dose for about three or four days and then go up to the target dose. The dosage depends on your child's weight. My son was on 40 mg, weighing 70 pounds. Another side effect is upset stomach, vomiting, weight loss, weight gain, constipation. Every child reacts different. My son was on it for three months, lost 14 pounds on it, had severe constipation and it did not improve anything, so I took him off. If you don't see improvement after two months, then chances are it is not working for you son.

[This message has been edited by Palms1 (edited 10-23-2003).]

Old 10-23-2003, 09:19 PM   #53
    jboon
    (female)

jboon HB User
    Strattera can be a wonder drug for some, and a terrible drug for others. Also, the parts of ADHD it helps can vary from person to person, as can the side effects. My son is 11 and takes BOTH Strattera (40 mg) and Concerta (36mg) daily. He has no noticeable side effects from the Strattera. The reason he takes it though is because it combats the side effects of the Concerta and it REDUCES his anxiety. The Strattera reduces his lack of appetite and insomnia that he had when only on Concerta, and there is no noticeable stimulant "let down" when it wears off. The reason he isn't on only Strattera is because it doesn't help his focusing.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 PM   #54
    HopefulDad

HopefulDad HB User
    Straterra or metadate

My son is 5 years old and we are just now using meds to combat his ADHD symptoms. We are using Metadate and starting to have really severe behavior problems at home when the madication wears off. Our doctor prescribed Straterra but he can't take a pill, and nothing on earth can mask the taste of the powder within the capsule. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a 5 year old take a pill; I have tried everything possible (pudding, juice, chocolate milk). It appears from what I have read from the other threads, that Straterra is not very effective. HELP!

Old 11-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #55
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User
    Please read the newest thread of "Strattera" by "Free Spirit" and especially read about under no circumstances opening the capsule!!!!

Closed Thread