It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    Post straterra

has anyone noticed their child is moody on straterra?
    I started my son on straterra two weeks ago and the past few days he is moody and emotional. Does this side effect go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
    CottonMike

CottonMike HB User
    I have been on it for 3 weeks now. I am 27. I have also had a little mood swings lately. At first it was great I was real calm with no worries but lately I have been real moody. I think most of this has to do with not getting enough sleep lately.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
    badkat
    (female)

badkat HB User
    Unhappy

My son was on it for about 4 months, the first 4-5 weeks was pretty good, he seemed calmer, easy going, eating good, sleeping good and then bang!! He was very moody!!! Temper would go off unannounced!!! over the littlest things.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    did you take your son off the straterra? Did his mood improve

Old 06-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    before switching to stratera my son was on adderal xr/ It worked great for him but i didn't like when he was coming off it. but at least he was consist as far as behavior and school work I think
    I will give it one more week because I do not like the moodiness because that is not in his nature

Old 06-10-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
    monkey84

monkey84 HB User
    hahahha, i had horrible mood swings. I was scared of myself! One minute, i was happy go lucky, and the next i was either extrememly ****** off or really upset! When I started to scare myself, I took myself off of it and now im back on Adderall XR!

Old 06-10-2003, 05:44 AM   #7
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    did the moodiness go away as soon as you stopped the straterra? I haven't decided what to do yet but if this gets worse I hope it goes away right away when I take him off.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:01 AM   #8
    badkat
    (female)

badkat HB User
    We put our son back on Concerta (that was what he was on before), he has been off for about a week and the moodiness seems to have stopped immediately. - the comming off of Concerta his mood would change-but it is consistant!! So far his mood hasn't been that bad, I have altered the time a given a little from the last time he was on it. Unlike the Straterra no warning! Per our doctor, we switched immediately no weaning or waiting from one to another.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
    singlemom

singlemom HB User
    My son is 10yrs old and he has been on Adderall for the past 5yrs, He does well in school an A/B student with only 3 behavior problems at school this year. Both his doctor and the child psych would like him to try Strattera, I like the fact that it is a non stimulant, but I am afraid to try something new..I mean if its not broke why replace it?? If someone could explain what Concerta is and what it does?? I just want to give him every advantage to succeed.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
    Gemma120in2002
    Inactive

Gemma120in2002 HB User
    My daughter has been on Straterra from the week it was approved. My husband and I noticed that her mood swings are awful, and that she is nearly impossible to live with.

She has become spiteful, mean, nasty, and a bully. She was so bad that her grandparents, who were so excited to have her spend three weeks with them, had to call me to drive 6 hours to get her because they couldn't spend any more time with her. They see her only a couple of times a year and they had to call me before the first week was finished.

She has ADHD, Nonverbal learning disability, and mild dysthymic disorder. She takes Straterra and Zoloft, and has gone back to Ritalin so that we can control her focus better.

After finding this site and reading everyone else's similar experiences with Straterra, I've scheduled an appointment with her doctor's office for tomorrow so that she can get off of it. I'll make sure to let you know how well she does off of the medication. I don't want to take her off of the Straterra on my own because she may need to step down from it gradually.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
    crillmom

crillmom HB User
    I have just recently taken my son of straterra. He was on it for about 10 weeks. It was too unpredictable and didn't seem to be doing much but towards the end making him more hyper. He is not taking any meds and I give him B'calmed vitamins and omega 3. He is doing great. He may need a little stim for focus in school but for now I am enjoying him med free

Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 PM   #12
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    My 8 year old son has been on Strattera for four months. He has had moodiness but it seems as time goes on the "fits" get further and further apart and are usually related to overtiredness or hunger. He is otherwise doing very well, much calmer, happier, a little more easy going. The only thing we found out (the hard way) is he must have a good meal in his stomache when he takes his med, otherwise he gets very ill, nauseous, sweating, dizzy. He takes it in the am I can see it does wear off a little by nighttime but not enough to warrant another dose for him.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 AM   #13
    setmefree

setmefree HB User
    I'm 45. I started taking Straterra about 8 weeks ago. 80 mgs a day. I also take Effexor 150 mgs a day. I'm ADD, Obsessive/Compulsive and have Dissociative Disorder. At first I was waking up every morning at 4 am. After a couple of weeks, I started feeling a strong desire to sleep at about 1:30 every day. I tried taking it in the morning, then evening, then half in am and half in pm, but I still had the sleepiness. My doctor encouraged me to stay with it and the sleepiness has begun to subside. I'm not sure I'm having any real benefits, yet, except that I am more aware of all the things I haven't done. This makes me anxious. I have started taking Adderall along with the Strattera when I really need to focus. I can't stay on it permanently, because I lose my appetite and stimulants really increase my stress level.

I just started getting moody a few days ago. Extremely sad feelings for no apparent reason. I hate side affects. This med seems to have it's share. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks.

My 14 year old son tried Straterra for about 3 weeks and was falling asleep in class every day.

[This message has been edited by setmefree (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-14-2003, 12:39 AM   #14
    dziner

dziner HB User
    My 15 yr old daughter has just been diagnosed as ADD and we started out with Strattera (40mg) 2 days ago. About 2 hr after the dose she was nauseated (scale of 1-10, 5 if she didn't move and 9 if she did), terribly dizzy (said the bed was shaking), dry mouth, fatigued and then fell into a weird sleep (she said it was very strange and was like being asleep but awake and sounded like a very 'drugged' sleep to me). I called her Dr. and he had me take her pulse and get her to drink something. After another short nap she said it had passed for the most part. We are changing it to 25 mg and we'll see what that does, but it certainly got my attention and I must say I'm worried about the effects short term and long term of this rx. Last year was so disastrous for her that I hope we can find something that helps. She was always an A/B student and did well in class until she hit jr. high and then -wow- it was like a full blown case of ADD instantly. Looking back I think there were signs of it much earlier, but it was easy to overlook them when she did so well at school. And since I am certainly ADD, I'm sure my frenzied mind didn't catch most of it. I have read all the posts that referenced Strattera and I have pretty mixed feelings about it. One minute it sounds like the miracle you hope for if you can stay on it long enough, and the next it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Does Lilly have any site that has info on their drug trials with this drug (ie- %s of those who experienced specific side effects)? We will continue to try the lower dosage and see what happens. Tonight I gave her the 25 mg dose and about an hr later she said she had only slight dizziness, dry mouth, and was so fatigued she thought she would go to bed early. Since it is sometimes impossible to get teens to bed before obscene hours, this last side effect was not so bad. I'll probably check on her 10 or 20 times tonight (lol) so this med will also cause the parent some fairly serious fatigue. Also, the first time we tried this at 40mg. 2 days ago, she was horribly moody for the rest of the day. She said she felt like lashing out most of the afternoon. Very unlike her. Oh well, I can see that this walk will not be easy, but it beats the alternative of suffering with the ADD which I know well.

Old 08-14-2003, 02:02 AM   #15
    shinemathew516

shinemathew516 HB User
    Thumbs up

Set me free and dzinner good news on the sleepiness issues. It passes....takes a couple of weeks but it does pass.
    My doc put my 14 year old on straterra the day it hit his office...he actually called me and had me come in and get it..Josh is also in clinical trails for it.
    The moodiness is common but does subside, alot of the moods is due to the amazing sedative properties it holds.
    Just to give you an idea of what Josh has gone through and the blessing that straterra has been to us may give you the extra drive to stick with it:
    Besides then severe ADHD Joshua also has had a sleep disorder for the last 5 years that this med has resolved for him. Joshua has always been a very quiet and inverted child never one to speak out in anyway..THIS CHANGED! I have not seen Josh with out some type of ADHD med since he was 4 so his personality has been smothered by Adderal, ritalin and other ADHD meds that stiffle a kids charm. After 4 weeks of use Joshua has made friends, his grades went from a D average to a B. After 2 months he gained 15 pounds all due to actually eating and having an appitite. Joshua had suffered from a very sour stomach as a side effect from staterra but using nexium aided that. After 1 month of usage I was singing the praises of this med! and I still do. I was in a store the other day when i heard a mother asking her son if he took his adderal, i could not help but tell her about straterra..
    Joshua has turned from a bland adderal,ritalin addicted lump into a bright and shinning sweet young man that ppl want to be around. To any people just starting straterra or their children just starting..I say to you....give it some time!! if it makes your child sleepy give it to him before bedtime that is what we still do with Josh. and make sure his/her tummy has food in it! very very important!!
    I wish the best for you all! God bless you all!
    Tess

------------------
    Let it shine for all: Let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise the Heavenly Father!
    Shine!! Matthew 5:16

[This message has been edited by shinemathew516 (edited 08-14-2003).]
    Shine!! Matthew 5:16

Closed Thread