It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• not eating and adderal xr

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
    voekidsmom

voekidsmom HB User
    Question not eating and adderal xr

we are almost three weeks into the new meds. 20 mg adderal xr almost as soon as my son now 10 started taking the meds his appetite decreased. does the appetite come back??? my son is to skinny not eat. he has even started turning down junk food!!! and thats like him at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    Hi. Loss of apetite on stimulant medications is very common. Lots of children become very underweight while on these meds. If he is lucky his apetite will come back somewhat, but for many kids this is a permanent side effect. Maybe you should think about switching to a non-stimulant. If thats not possible think about trying regular adderall. That way he can eat between doses. If he eats breakfast, then takes his first dose, it should wear off around lunch time or right after school. Then feed him a big lunch of after school snack. His second dose should wear off intime for dinner. If the adderall xr is lasting all day long then its possible one dose of regular adderall would last long enough for school and homework.

Strattera is a non-stim med and some kids do have weight loss when starting strattera but then their weight averages out to normal.

Is it possible that his dose is too high? Ask him how he is feeling. Is he having any other side effects? Insomnia?? 20mg doesnt seem like much for adderall xr but this medication seems to be very strong for some kids and 20mg can be too high of a dose.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
    DenverGal
    Veteran

DenverGal HB User
    This happened with my nephew. We thought it would be better if we didn't give it to him on the weekend so he could "catch up" on his eating. But when I spoke with his doctor, she suggested continuing it on the w/e as the loss of appetite would likely decrease. It has pretty much worked, and he has a better appetite. But he has never been a great eater and is thin also. But he is doing better now that he takes it full time.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
    lovemyboys

lovemyboys HB User
    Our son is on a Adderall and Adderal XR combination. (I'll spare you the details...)

Dr. has him on Periactin (kinda like benadryl) 30 mg once a day around 5pm. This helps increase his appetite and fall asleep easier.

WARNING! Do not give the Periactin and Adderall at the same time. (Did it once by accident....) It will turn your child into hell on wheels. MAJOR add/adhd behaviors plus horribly mean attitude and crying at the drop of a hat. I'm thinking they counteract each other when ADderall is in system at full strength.

Good luck...ask your Doc about it.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
    gemcutterswife

gemcutterswife HB User
    I'm an adult and started Adderall XR 6 days ago and barely eat, its a side effect of amphetamines, legal and illegal. It can normally be eliminated by lowering the dose. Adderall is made of a combination of Dexedrine and Ritalin, when kids are on ritalin it can "stump" there growth, however when taken off the medication they normally make up for it with a growth spurt to catch them up to normal. To compensate for that, you could talk to your sons doctor about having your son take a "drug holiday" maybe when hes on vacation from school for a week or so like at Christmas time when he doesnt need the medicine as much as if he had to go to school.

Closed Thread