It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• New Guy on Ritalin: Low dose normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
    man007

man007 HB User
    Question New Guy on Ritalin: Low dose normal?

Hi-
    As a newly diagnosed ADD adult, I'm new to this, but here goes:

I'm not taking nearly as much Ritalin as some of you are, and I don't have the side effects at all. I'm 38, a full time student, and I take 5mg in the AM and 5mg at lunch. Been at it for a month, almost. So far, so good. It helps me a little, but I haven't been "wowed" the way some people describe. Is this normal or will the doc probably increase the dose later on?

I take a lot of vitamins as it is, but fish oil is a good one to add. What are the benefits of this in relation to Ritalin use?

Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #2
    brainfog
    Inactive

brainfog HB User
    Just because it "helps you" doesn't mean it's your therapeutic dose. Everyone is unique and doses vary from person to person.

Let your doctor know what's going on. Time and time again people respond positively to an initial dose and stop. The problem with this is they don't work with the dosage to find the correct therapeutic dose for them. You need to find the correct amount of stimulation without over stimulation and at a dose(s) that last throughout the entire day.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
    man007

man007 HB User
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I kind of figured this was the issue. Have to do some trial and error to arrive at that.

I've cut coffee completely out of my regimen, so that should stabilize things a bit. What about adding fish oil? Is this a worthwhile supplement? What's it do, anyway?

Old 11-18-2003, 07:08 PM   #4
    Kells2hyper

Kells2hyper HB User
    Smile

Okay a few things. First of all, I took ritalin for a long time and I started taking concerta instead because I like only taking one a day and you don't have to go through coming down off of the pill twice a day. One of the reasons was because I became a college student and realized that four hours in a day of a college student flys by too quickly. Concerta is almost the exact same drug as ritalin except that it is in a time released capsule. Anyawys, that is just something for you to think about. Also, you might try bumping up just a tad bit higher and watch what happens. When you are starting off with ritalin, just go through a process of observation. (although, i'm certainly not a doctor!)

About the fish oils, I tried taking those for awhile. I didn't really notice much of a difference, but I wasn't consistent with it. I've heard from a friend though whose daughter has ADD that she and her daughter take them and the mother notices a big difference in herself when it comes to remembering things. Especially since you are taking such a low dosage of ritalin, I'm sure the fish oils may do you some good.

Also, you don't have to cut coffee out of your diet. I've noticed and heard that it is actually good for people taking ritalin. Although I DO NOT suggest you drink it after 3 in the afternoon or you might not be able to fall asleep that night. I find it very useful to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. One cup is great, two cups has my hands shaking and my foot kickin a little too fast though. So, just learn a balance, but I wouldn't cut it out completely.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
    JodiMommy

JodiMommy HB User
    Re: New Guy on Ritalin: Low dose normal?

I started with Wellbutrin and when the effectivness started to wane, my Dr. Prescribed Ritilin (10mg) in the am, at noon and later if i felt I needed it, he also told me to keep a journal, marking down how I felt relative to when i took the medication. i have since been knocked up to 20mg on the same schedule and it is working quite well.

Closed Thread