It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

Need Urgent advice with adult ADD.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
EireSimba
(female)

EireSimba HB User
Unhappy Need Urgent advice with adult ADD.

Hi everyone, I'm 18 and live in the UK. I came across ADD & realized it describes me perfectly. I've never completed full time education, I changed jobs 3 times within a few months(and quit the job I LOVED on impluse) I also changed tech classes 3 times too.

I went to a doctor(I avoid doctors at all costs as there usually wrong for me) she told me ADD dosen't exist in adults, that theres no treatment for me and that there not going to help me. I'm literally on the verge of a breakdown. She referred me to the mental health team(but said this will take months) I really don't know what to do, my family don't speak to me and the only ones who do say I'm making it up or looking for an excuse? The few friends I told said I was just looking for a mental illness because I'm bored?? (No-one understands my situation at all)

Its been a month since I seen the doctor, I know there is no services within my country for ADHD.. does anyone think I should go see another doctor & try to get some help "again". I know because of the ADD, ive became depressed so I don't know whether I should go back to the doctor and explain I'm depressed too. I told the one I saw how horrible I felt and she woulden't help me. I'm just sick of pouring my heart out and getting the same response. I have no support from anyone and literally at the breaking point.

Can anyone tell me what to do?? I need an actual diagnosis so everyone will stop giving me such a hard time about my life and so I can start my life again. I've lay in bed every day for the past 4-5months.. I really can't deal with it anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Need Urgent advice with adult ADD.

Hi,
Your Dr sound's a most unhelpful individual and if I was you I would find myself another one ASAP.
Your condition is real and you need real help. Start all over again with another Dr and
I hope this time you will get a better reaction and maybe some anxiety medication to help you relax and treatment for your ADHD.
Don't give up Dr's do differ and I hope the next one will be more understanding,
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
AngeInBoston
Veteran
(female)

AngeInBoston HB User

It seems to me there are a few things going on here....

You absolutely need to get a caring therapist whom you can pour out all your feelings to on a weekly basis, who will understand, try to help you, and not mock you or make you feel like you are faking your issues.

You also need to go to a psychiatrist (who, HELLO??? Should believe that mental illnesses of all types really do exist!) Your psychiatrist should be able to start to figure out what illnesses are haunting you. (It may not only be ADD/ADHD, many overlap symptoms, for instance I am also BiPolarII and have Anxiety issues, but the ADHD was just discovered 2wks ago!)

The Psych is the one who will give you meds. There are many different meds for many different diagnosis, and it's a fluid thing...the med cocktail that works for years may suddenly not be so good anymore and need a tweaking or a complete overhaul and try new meds. This is where we come back to the Therapist, who is the one keeping an eye on your mental health and will notice (probably better than you) when something is going wrong.

Please don't give up, you sound very depressed and alone, and I don't know how easy it is for you to get to these kind of doctors and therapists, but they are out there and you MUST find them. Also, you must really connect with them, as you know you did not with the one who told you it doesn't exist.

Good luck, keep in touch here.....

The Following User Says Thank You to AngeInBoston For This Useful Post:
amallama (06-26-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
knowident
(female)

knowident HB User

It certainly is not unusual or abnormal for adults to have ADD/ADHD. We were born with it! Think about your schools years. Yup. You always had it.

In addition to reading absolutely EVERYTHING you can get your hands on about it. Please keep looking for a knowledgeable doctor. You'll need an M.D. to explore the drugs.

Please check out "you mean I'm not lazy stupid or crazy" to start. easily available on the internet

good luck. I'm a member of this board now so keep in touch. you are not alone
I was diagnosed at age 54!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-22-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Wustah508
(female)

Wustah508 HB User

Another very good book is "out of the fog". By Dr. Kevin Murphy

The Following User Says Thank You to Wustah508 For This Useful Post:
123Justasking (09-09-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Stormy15
(female)

Stormy15 HB User

I am curious does add cause brain fog I have seen dr. And am new to meds but major contributing factor is brain fog was wondering if this is normal for people with ADD

Reply Reply

Tags
add/adhd, adhd symptoms, anxiety, depression.