It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Advice, please - how to talk to DR: current med doesn't work, want to switch

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
    Jackiepants
    (female)

Jackiepants HB User
    Unhappy Advice, please - how to talk to DR: current med doesn't work, want to switch

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this board, so thanks for welcoming me into the community

I am 26 yo F, who was recently diagnosed with ADD (inattentive) and anxiety. I have had symptoms of ADD my entire life (as chronicled by teachers reports and comments, as well as physical symptoms) but was never given meds for it because I never had healthcare growing up.

As such, my doctor (psychiatric NP) gave me a 10mg dose of Ritalin IR, to take "as needed" throughout the day. She said she prescribes ritalin over adderall b/c it is more well-studied, and she said there's no real need for XR because it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to take the pills multiple times a day.

So, I've started on the Ritalin as per her orders, but it's very unpleasant. It doesn't work - I still feel just as unfocused and inattentive. Since I've upped the dose (as per her orders), I STILL feel inattentive, and my anxiety just increases. Plus, I'm having stomach upset and headaches. Although I don't get the positive benefits, I'm experiencing a lot of negative side effects, and the pill wears off after only about 3 hours after which I start to feel EVEN worse (jittery, stomach aches, headaches all worse). In other words, I'm just as inattentive and unfocused, but now I get horrible physical symptoms and crash periodically throughout the day. I feel like I'm worse off now than before!

I want to be OFF Ritalin IR, because it makes me feel really crappy. I think Id like to try Adderall XR, since it would be a different drug and I wouldn't have to worry about the stupid crash. But I dont want her to prescribe me Concerta or Adderall IR, because (1) the concerta would be the same as the Ritalin (wouldnt it?) so it wouldnt have an effect, and (2) I dont like the crash in between pills, so I dont want IR anything, including adderall. However, she is a very stern doctor, with beliefs about what she thinks is best, and I don't know that she'd listen to me - or rather, she'd make me try Concerta or Adderall IR first.

I guess I'm just seeking advice as to how to handle this. Has anyone ever switched directly from Ritalin IR to Adderall XR? How did it go? How supportive was your doctor? Any advice you have is appreciated. My next appointment with her is next week, but I dont even know if I can wait that long. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
    knowident
    (female)

knowident HB User
    Re: Advice, please - how to talk to DR: current med doesn't work, want to switch

If you've been diagnosed with anxiety why are you on stimulants? Both my therapist and my doctor said absolutely no stimulant drugs. When I was first diagnosed I was depressed with anxiety. I began taking Welbutrin (freaking miracle drug). Then as time went by my therapist and I came to the conclusion that I was ADD Inattentive Type. I take Welbutrin and Strattera. Works pretty well for me. It's not perfect, but I can get through the day. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Advice, please - how to talk to DR: current med doesn't work, want to switch

I think you need to be honest with your practitioner. One option is trying the SR Ritalin which lasts longer and would do away with the crashes. It is so much cheaper than either of the others because there is generic available. But obviously, you need something that works. She should be flexible with solving the problem, but you might want to wait and see what she suggests first, before you make any suggestions of your own. Emphasize you don't like the ups and downs, and a sustained or extended release would do away with that, smooth things out and probably prevent the anxiety. I like Wellbutrin too for ADD and less likely to cause anxiety, not controlled substance.

Last edited by ladybud; 06-22-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added

Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User

You definitely need to tell your Psych NP how you are feeling ASAP! If she is intimidating and you don't feel comfortable telling her intimate details, then she is not a good fit for you, it's as simple as that. Figuring out medication cocktails is a constantly changing thing, and your Dr or NP should listen to how you feel and not just have their own agenda and think it's their way or the highway. Don't suffer another day!

Good luck,
    ~Ange

Reply Reply

Tags
    add, adderall, advice or experience, doctor help, ritalin