It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• I think I have ADD. Do you have similar issues?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
    LooseScrew5000
    (male)

LooseScrew5000 HB User
    I think I have ADD. Do you have similar issues?

I've recently started to take Stattera for ADD. I'm still a little skeptical if I have ADD but I so wish I do cause I've tried everything to get rid of my concentration problems and I'm hoping that medicine will finally do the trick.

For the longest time I've had problems concentrating. I've always had thoughts distracting me which prevented me from fully enjoying anything. And after a psychotic bipolar episode I had earlier this year I started paying more attention to my mental health. I started being medicated for my bipolar and haven't gotten pretty stable. And after this is when I started to notice my problems with attention and my constant thoughts.

For a while now I've tried everything to get rid of my problem: I've tried yoga, meditation, acupuncture, concentration exercises I looked up on the internet, I got a month's subscription to Lumosity, fasting (which is more like a strict diet), exercise (I now exercise everyday), and prayer. I've given up hope that any of this will ever help me and come to the conclusion that I have a mental illness in addition to my bipolar.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as mine. I feel like I have ADD and it has for a long time been the root of my problems. I can't go anywhere or do anything without thinking about something else. Most of the thoughts are negative which I think a lot of my depression comes from. I tell myself that my negative thoughts and worries are ridiculous but that doesn't work. But even when I'm in a good mood I'm still constantly bombarded by my thoughts. It doesn't allow me to enjoy music (I don't have the attention span to listen to a song all the way through no matter how hard I try). I can't enjoy people's company or any of my hobbies which makes days off a waste of time. Everyday, all the time, from when I wake up til I go to sleep it's constant thoughts. I makes every second unbearable. I believe as a result of this I have bad motor skills, can't multitask, have a difficult time with directions and remembering how to get places. Going to the mall or the grocery store is challenging as I get mixed up and can't process everything around me quick enough. I have bad cognitive skills. I'm socially awkward. I'm hypersensitive and have bad fight or flight instincts.

So I'm wondering if people with ADD have had similar experiences and if treatment worked for them. I'm still wondering if I have ADD. Do these sound like ADD symptoms? Please someone respond because even though a part of me feels hopeful medicine will help me the other part feels that maybe I'm not ADD and maybe there's nothing that can help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: I think I have ADD. Do you have similar issues?

Hi, I would recommend getting into endurance training to increase blood circulation in your brain. An hour everyday of running, treadmill, stairstepper etc will calm you down and improve your brain power and perspective. For me, each day I take 4000 mg of the amino acid L Glutamine to improve my focus and concentration, it has worked like a charm for the many years I have taken it. You could research "L Glutamine" and determine if it would help you. Sometimes I think that our brains go haywire because they have not evolved enough to cope with the copious amounts of information and stimulus we are bombarded with each day.....IMHO

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
    LooseScrew5000
    (male)

LooseScrew5000 HB User

I workout at least an hour a day when I'm not working at my throughout the day. Sometimes I workout and sometimes I run. I have not seen any improvement. I'll look in the glutamine for sure. I'll do it but I'm just convinced I must have some kind of disorder. For the longest time I tried to cope with my bipolar on my own and just recently I ended up in the hospital due to a psychotic episode. Now I'm medicated and I believe it keeps my anxiety and moods in check. I believe this is a similar thing. Something I can't solve on my own through my efforts cause I continue to try all sorts of things and nothing seems to work. I'm just seeing if anyone else has had similar symptoms and has been helped by medication. Thank you for your post. I'll give L Glutamine a try.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
    LooseScrew5000
    (male)

LooseScrew5000 HB User

Just wanted to give people who might be reading this an example of how my days go. So this morning I left my place to go to my parents. I was going to eat there so I needed to take my medicine w me. Well I put the medicine in a pill box but I forgot to bring it and I didn't realize this until I was already 5 min down the road. So I had to drive back and get it. And as I was doing this I told myself to remember to get my mom's birthday card cause today is her birthday. Well I grab the pills but forget the birthday card. I just say forget it I'll get it when I get off work. So I get to my parents and eat and take my medicine. So I leave for work. By this time I realized that I forgot to include my Strattera, which I just started taking, in the pill container that I brought to my parents. So I had to speed to my place to take the pill and then speed to work to make it on time. At work I made various mistakes all over the place. I've been training servers where I work and I'm always forgetting to bring materials to the table where we train. For instance, I'll go off to get a bottle of wine and wine glasses but I'll come back with just the wine. So I got to go back and get the wine glasses too. This happens far too much. So anyway I get off of work and I go in to the grocery store to pick out a few items. Well naturally I forget to buy plastic spoons which I need. Anyway I just decide to get some spoons from my parents when I drop off my mom's birthday card. Well when I leave I forget to grab the spoons. This is a typical day for me.

Anyway, I know some of this stuff could be eliminated if I use notes more, which I'm starting to do now more. But sometimes its not feasible. If I'm just remembering to grab something before I leave I'm not going to remember to look on a note to remember to grab it. If I could do that then I'd just remember to grab whatever it is rather than remember to look at the note that tells me what to grab. You know? Unless I wanted to just put the note on my forehead. So yea maybe some of this stuff could be eliminated if I planned ahead more but my point is that my mind doesn't work like it should. I want to be able to not rely on compensatory methods that just cover up my condition. The biggest problem is not being able to concentrate on doing these tasks. Like I mentioned I can't focus on anything. If I am focusing on something there's always a thought going on at the same time which cancels out fully concentrating on (or enjoying) that thing. It affects me every second of the day. Anyone else deal with this sorta thing?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
    MamaToThree
    (female)

MamaToThree HB User

I don't mean to giggle at your post, but my wife bought me an anniversary card this year that was a guy opening the fridge, nothing but BUTTER all over the inside, and the caption says, "Hon, where's the butter?" Well, that's me. I can be looking right at something, but my mind is wandering or I'm just not focused and I look right past it. I forget everything....all the time. I remember 20 years ago it became a joke because a friend of mine and I always got into the car, got a half a mile away and we would both realize we left something at home. Her dad would always say, "I knew you guys would be back in 2 minutes." So, yeah...I would say I have the same problem as you. I was diagnosed with ADHD at 42 and my pdoc put me on Vyvanse and reached 70 mg during treatment. It was the extended release pill and it changed my life. I could focus, my thoughts stopped racing and I almost cried because I felt "normal" (whatever that is). I could hold a conversation with people without them drifting off because of my rambling or changing subjects every 20 seconds. My brain finally slowed down enough that I wasn't thinking 10 steps in advance (maybe 2 or 3 but that is WAY better than 10!) But truly, it's something that changed my world. I felt slower and could listen to people better (without interrupting them). However, my personality is very bubbly and I still tend to exhibit a lot of the same behaviors, just not as severe when I wasn't on ADHD meds. I was on every anti-depressant on the market before she subscribed Vyvanse and diagnosed me ADHD. She started with a diagnosis of depression and I kept telling her I didn't feel depressed (which is a whole other story because my new pdoc just rx'd lithium for my irritability and mood swings that have also always been an issue. She has brought up rapid cycling and possible bi-polar in which I'm still in denial about....but anyway). I currently am on a much lower dose of ADHD meds (20 mg Adderall IR) and it feels better because we think the Vyvanse was the issue with not sleeping well (but that could also be a part of "cycling"? I still have sleep issues that truly seem to go in cycles. Trying to figure that one out now.)

I don't know much about Stattera. I have a friend who was just put on that and I think she told me that it was something that had to get in your system and could take a couple weeks before you notice any change - unlike Vyvanse and Adderall which works within 15-20 minutes after taking it.

You mention you are bi-polar. What meds are you taking for that? Are you working with your pdoc on a regular basis for that? I'm just curious because, like I mentioned, I wonder if some of my other symptoms could fall into the BP category. Give it some time and keep working with your pdoc.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
    MamaToThree
    (female)

MamaToThree HB User

Oh, I also meant to say that my wife is undiagnosed OCD and organized to a point that it makes people raise their eyebrow! She uses the Reminders iphone app and our little inside joke is that EVERYTHING goes in her reminders. And I do mean EVERYTHING. Everything from "clean the floors" to "school project due on Mon". And she has to check things off her list to feel productive for the day. I have accused her of running too many errands just to check things off her list. But again...she really is a little OCD about that, so....

It helps her remember (therefore it helps me! She even puts MY crap on there! HA!). Maybe you should try that AND also set alarms on your phone? For something like forgetting the wine glasses at work, this wouldn't work, but maybe there is some other system you could use like moving a bracelet from one arm to the other? Or putting a tight hair tie on your wrist (it would be uncomfortable therefore you would notice/feel it). Just a thought...

Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
    Jay880
    (male)

Jay880 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MamaToThree View Post
    Oh, I also meant to say that my wife is undiagnosed OCD and organized to a point that it makes people raise their eyebrow! She uses the Reminders iphone app and our little inside joke is that EVERYTHING goes in her reminders. And I do mean EVERYTHING. Everything from "clean the floors" to "school project due on Mon". And she has to check things off her list to feel productive for the day. I have accused her of running too many errands just to check things off her list. But again...she really is a little OCD about that, so....

It helps her remember (therefore it helps me! She even puts MY crap on there! HA!). Maybe you should try that AND also set alarms on your phone? For something like forgetting the wine glasses at work, this wouldn't work, but maybe there is some other system you could use like moving a bracelet from one arm to the other? Or putting a tight hair tie on your wrist (it would be uncomfortable therefore you would notice/feel it). Just a thought...
    I can relate to your wife and her lists.....I'm a big list guy myself but it's not OCD at all. It's a way of coping and organizing our scattered thought process. Before I was diagnosed, if I didn't have a list to keep me on track......I ended up feeling lost and unproductive. If your wife has to put everything in alphabetical order on her lists, then it might be OCD...otherwise she just found a way to cope with her problem. Another "quirk" for me is to put my keys and wallet in specific little bowl on my nightstand. It's the first thing I do every single day when I walk in the door. Again it may seem like OCD but it's not obsessive/compulsive at all. After literally years of losing my keys and wallet, I found a routine that helps keep me organized. It seems your wife has figured out a few ways to function and stay on point as well.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
    notsureif
    (male)

notsureif HB User

As for the L-glutamine being good... people say mono-sodium glutamate is bad. It is the same thing as L-glutamine. They can't both be right.

As for the music, is this good music you pick, or junk on the radio? When I drive, I'll constantly go through the stations, looking for something good. But once found, I'll listen to the whole thing. Those dj's are crazy if they think I'm listening to their filler songs.

Last edited by notsureif; 01-07-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Reply Reply