It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Ritalin not improving my concentration anymore?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
    Nazzel
    (male)

Nazzel HB User
    Ritalin not improving my concentration anymore?

Hello,

I have ADHD for years, and it always felt as if something was preventing me from thinking as I should. I was never satisfied with myself, I was easily bored, I couldn't finish any of my tasks and my memory was always failing me, in accordance to the knowledge I had.

Last year I found out about Ritalin and started using it. I was surprised by the results. My motivation and urge to create and do my tasks reached its peak, as well as my will to complete them as perfect as possible. But that was not all. The most important thing was that now remembering things was a pleasure for me, because it seemed as if I had everything I needed to know in order to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish right in front of my head. All the knowledge I needed was there without any effort whatsoever. Remembering stuff was pleasant and extremely easy, as well as research to achieve perfection. I was surprised by how many things I found out I knew while Ritalin was in effect. There were some mild side-effects, but they were certainly worth it and I could easily get rid of them with a Benzodiazepine.

I was certain I finally found out a way to finish the work I was planning for years, but then, suddenly, after taking it for a year, Ritalin's beneficial effects stopped working completely (except of the increase in motivation) and the side-effects became worse, as well as the comedown. My memory didn't serve me well again and remembering stuff became difficult once again. I feel that it doesn't increase my concentration at all any more.

I thought that perhaps I've developed some tolerance to it. Is this how Ritalin tolerance manifests? I thought that tolerance means that the drug becomes completely ineffective, not that only the beneficial effects stop working while the side-effects are still there and even get worse (although that's not the problem, because if they get too annoying I know how to get rid of them).

Do you think this problem is caused by increased tolerance? What can I do to make it work as it used to? Any suggestions please?

There is no possibility to change it with another stimulant. There are no other stimulants for ADHD in my country. Only Anti-depressants.

Thank you.

Last edited by Nazzel; 03-05-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    concentration, ritalin, side-effects, tolerance