It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I (Husband & Father) going into 30 day rehab tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
    HeadInSand
    (male)

HeadInSand HB User
    I (Husband & Father) going into 30 day rehab tomorrow

So, I'm married 17 years to a very patient wife, father of 2 children.

I've been addicted to sedatives, then pain killers, then the stronger ones (Morophine, OxyContin) along with uppers like adderal. Then heroin and cocaine, smoke/snort, then ALL IV.

I had a great experience getting counseling along with Methadone and tapering down from 50 mg to 0. I recommend this for opiate abusers who are serious about getting off them (pills & heroin)

I was good for about 3 months after I ended the Methadone but I had super high anxiety which I've had for as long as I can remember. Went to my old psychiatrist and I needed something just to chill my nerves and temper and he said I'll never put you on clonipin again, which was the first pill I abused. Ok I agreed with that, but the anxiety was still there and I ended up going back to methadone pills (off the street), then shooting heroin and cocaine because I felt like a total failure to EVERYONE!

Here I am today, leaving for 30day rehab tomorrow. I'm off all opiates and methadone now for a while, but still shooting cocaine. Why? I like how it feels, very selfish!

But I decided with my wife I needed more professional help, take myself out of this element for a bit and get some coping skills and help. I'm afraid to leave my wife and kids for 30 days, but if I stay I know I won't get better and I'll just draw this hell out. I'm self employed, breadwinner in family, HORRIBLE WITH FINANCES THOUGH! The only way I'm in business is I'm very honest with customer, straight forward, and do good quality work. I know, coming from an addict, that's bull.

Anyways my wife has enough $ to get through 20 days of me not working. I asked my father in law to possibly help financially if needed, he said "Of Course". I'm real glad now I paid that loan back to him earlier this year.

I keep having second thoughts about up & leaving my family for 30 days, but I know it's better than being selfish and continue abusing ANYTHING I can get my hands on. I've put my family through enough, I think they can use a break from me. I'm embarrassed for what I've become, I hate that I'm starting to be known for that with all our friends, acquaintances and family. I'm more embarrassed for my wife. It seems she gets a great amount of support though with her circle, I think she needs therapy for spouses of addicts though.

I really want to go through with this but I still am not 100% I'm getting on that plane tomorrow. I mean my family needs me and my customers....

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2015 at 08:27 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to HeadInSand:
    Phoenix (08-09-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
    Re: I (Husband & Father) going into 30 day rehab tomorrow

Go! Don't talk yourself out of it. And then go to NA the day that you get out, and every day for 90 days. And go regularly after that. Work the steps into your life. I've been there with oxycodone. You've been using a long time. It's going to take a long time to recover. Just do it. You are an addict. Your are sick. You can't think right thinking in your condition. You can't quit alone. You already tried more than once. You will learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable. Life is hard. period. You are trying to soothe yourself with drugs. It's a lie. Addiction is a disease and the primary symptom is denial. It tells you that you don't really have a disease. Don't listen. Just go.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you're right....your family needs you.....alive and healthy.....
    get on that plane and do it!
    you will succeed!

Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
    jw203
    (male)

jw203 HB User

Lots of positives with this post! You've got steady work, you're still married and she is understanding, you've admitted you had a problem and you quit methadone and other opiods! Your 30 day stay will be a success. Best of luck to you!

Closed Thread