It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Darvocet for W/D...like Methadone?!?!?!?!?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
    Post Darvocet for W/D...like Methadone?!?!?!?!?!

I have read of a few people using Darvocet N-100 for the withdraw symptoms they had when coming off opiates. They said it worked really well for them. So I got interested in finding out why. Here is some excerpts from the PDR.

2002 Physician's Desk Reference pages 1907 and 1908:

ACTIONS:
    Propoxyphene(which is the active medication in Darvocet) is a mile narcotic analgesic structurally related to METHADONE. The potentcy of propoxyphene is from two thirds to equal that of codeine.

Also:
    ...propoxyphene will only partially supress the withdrawal syndrome in individuals physically dependent on morphine or other narcotics.(this tells me that it at least helps with the W/D symptoms)

A few people have taken it and it helped them alot. You have to be careful no to get hooked on these but it at least helps. I am going to use the schedule of 2 every 6 hours for the first 3 days then go to 2 every 8 hours for a day or so, then to 1 every 8 hours then to nothing to get off. Well I hope those of you trying to get off the opiates and really need something to help with the restless legs and so on, I hope this helps. Be careful and let me know if those who took thses if they helped.

Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
    Percokitty
    Inactive

Percokitty HB User
    Tim

In treatment centers, darvocet is often initially given to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of a stronger opiate (like vicodin, oxycontin, etc). It does ease some of the symptoms of withdrawal. Then the idea is to taper off the darvocet -- altho i remain on them 8/day for moderate chronic pain.

They are structurally similar to methadone ... but very very weak in comparison -- so being addicted to darvocet doesn't come close to being addicted to methadone (which is very hard to get off of) if that's what you are concerned about.

Kitty

Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
    Sinnrah
    Senior Veteran

Sinnrah HB User
    I was given Methadone from an ex heroine addict. And I found myself rather fond of it. so, I had to quit hanging around him. Didnt need another addiction to overcome.

Closed Thread