It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Is Ultracet addictive?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
    Manyprobs

Manyprobs HB User
    Post Is Ultracet addictive?

I am trying to stop taking my Vicodin b/c I am so worried about addiction. My dr. gave me a bag of samples of Ultracet but I don't know if it's just as bad?

I did take 2 for my pain today. It did relieve my pain. But am I just trading one problem for another?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2003, 06:43 AM   #2
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Good Morning...I am not really familar with ultracet I assume its hydrocodone too isnt it? I will have to do a search on it. If you are only taking 2 it shouldnt be a problem my mother has been taking 2 percocets a day for years and its a much stronger painkiller than ultraset and she can stop whenever she wants and now have a problem. I guess everyone is different. I take 2 percs a day plus 3 OXY IR 10mg and I can feel the withdrawls first day clean.
    I think it all depends on the amount taken a day and the strength of the drug taken how fast the WD's come and how hard they hit you. Ultraset I think is weaker than Vicoden and if it works for you I would take it. Good Luck to you I hope you find the answers you need.
    Autumn

Old 05-23-2003, 06:49 AM   #3
    Manyprobs

Manyprobs HB User
    It isn't hydrocodone, it's tramadol and acetaminophin.

I don't know much about tramadol. Thanks for replying Autum.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:15 AM   #4
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User
    Hi there,

Yes you are correct about what ultracet is. I was on that and lortab but because of all the tylenol in both , i got switched over to regular ultram for breakthru pain. I am and will be on the lortab for quite a while. Some people have become addicted to the ultracet or ultram as well. FOr me tho, it has never been a problem. I can take it for a week if i have to and then stop with absolutely no problems as long as I'm still on the lortab. Just depends on your own body system I guess. I think tho, that as long as your on something that helps with the pain, that is the most important thing. Having to endure pain because of being afraid to get addicted to a med is not beneficial to anyone. Just because you have withdrawal symptoms after you stop the vicodin or lortab does not mean you are completely addicted to them. I consider that just a side affect of the med when you stop it. I think everyone who is on it and then stops will end up having some withdrawal symptoms. That of course is IF YOU USE it according to what the doctor ordered and stay on the correct amount. ALso i have noticed that with anything, it requires alot of discipline to stay on the correct dosage, and I for one have to admit that I have added an extra one or two tablets to the end of the day and noticed that the more I use the more pain I seem to have to control. Dont know if its the body that is in real pain or just "needing" the med. Hard enough to be in pain without having to keep worrying about becoming addicted huh? I know. I live thru that everyday. Hope you have a great day today hon.
    Jen

Old 05-23-2003, 07:21 AM   #5
    CRAZE

CRAZE HB User
    Manyprobs, That is what the doctor gave me my last visit. I don't really see how they can be addictive because there is no buzz there.
    I have heard that some people become dependent on them but I don't think there would be any bad WD's if you stopped taking them.
    If you can get off the heavy narcotic merrry go round good for you. Tramadol is a good substitute.
    CRAZE

Old 05-23-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
    Manyprobs

Manyprobs HB User
    Thanks Jen.

Yes it is maddening. I will be glad to see the pain managment dr. on June 2nd.

My doc. who switched me really didn't think I had a problem, it was me who asked to be switched.

I wish I wasn't so paranoid. But, I guess in a way it's good that I am?

I'm such a mess! LOL

Old 05-23-2003, 08:56 AM   #7
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
    Ultram/Ultracet can be addicting. Start out at the normal doses of 50-100mg every 4-6 hours and you are okay for a while...but just like Vicoden or Lortab, tolerance builds...take 4 of them at once and it will give you a very nice buzz, just like Vicoden, etc...
    I is not a full blown opiate, it does not work aon all opiate receptors in the CNS, BUT it works on a few of them according to the PDR. And I can tell you if you are on them long enough, just like a regular opiate...they are addicting. The revised 2003 PDR now has an Addiction/Abuse warning about them. I was taking up to 30-40 a day at a time and believe me when I say they are as hard to get off of as a regular opiate. Same exact W/D symptoms. Be care ful with this drug because Dr. dont know everything about this medication, they assume that it is safe because it is not scheduled YET...they are trying to put it as a controlled medication. Remember, Drs. dont know everything, that is why they PRACTICE medicine

Old 05-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #8
    Jason1976

Jason1976 HB User
    I did a search and discovered there is an Ultracet Official Website: [url="http://www.ultracet.com"]www.ultracet.com[/url]

I copied this from their FAQ page and I will post it now....

Are there reasons I should not take ULTRACET?
    If you have a history of severe, life-threatening allergic (anaphylactoid) reactions to codeine and other opioids, you may be at increased risk and, therefore, should not take ULTRACET pain medication.

Cases of abuse and dependence on tramadol (one of the components of ULTRACET) have been reported. ULTRACET should not be used in people who are opioid-dependent. Since ULTRACET can reinitiate physical dependence, it is not recommended if you have a tendency to abuse drugs, a history of drug dependence, or chronically use opioids.

Speak with your doctor if you may be pregnant, or are trying to become pregnant, before using ULTRACET. Safe use during pregnancy has not been established.

If you have liver disease, the use of ULTRACET is not recommended.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Old 05-23-2003, 03:55 PM   #9
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
    Another thing to do is pull up a serch on Ultram/Ultracet/Tramadol addiction. I am willing to bet my house that there are more than a few that have had problems getting off of it. W/D symptoms same as opiates. Anyone that has a 2002 or 2003 Physician's Desk Reference look up Ultram and read under the Pharmokinetics of the drug...it is a synthetic acting analgesic that acts at the central nervous system, it binds to certain opiate receptors, etc..

Anyone that is taking this or thinking of switching from a pure opiate to this...just think twice and read up on it. It might be a very good drug for you. I took around 30-40/day. Thats addicted my friends. Just dont go into thinking you can take it because itis not addicting, you and they would be fooling themselves(IMHO)

Tim

Old 05-23-2003, 07:47 PM   #10
    Manyprobs

Manyprobs HB User
    Thank you so much for all of the information. I appreciate it so much.

Is there anything a person can take for pain consistenly without becoming addicted?

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 05-24-2003, 05:30 AM   #11
    sadchickster

sadchickster HB User
    I wish there was someting to take that wasn't addictive!! But anything with opiates in it is addictive. I've gone the Ultram route but it throws you into full fledge withdrawls!! When you try to quit. Although it has no opiates, it tells your brain you're not withdrawing. In fact, i read where they're going to move it in a higher category on the schedule of drugs. Because it is addicting.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
    marlena1967
    Inactive
    (female)

marlena1967 HB User
    Re: Is Ultracet addictive?

I'm on ultracet and I immediately began taking more than the recommended dose. But I had been on hydorcodone. I have a herniated disk in my back, and I have almost chronic pain and I can't help but wonder if I am addicted to painmeds. Because I read once that your body will start to feel pain just so you will take the meds and I am beginning to wonder if that is what is happening. I'm gong to talk to my doctor about using a tens unit to help control the pain.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
    marlena1967
    Inactive
    (female)

marlena1967 HB User
    Red face Re: Is Ultracet addictive?

I'm on ultracet and I immediately began taking more than the recommended dose. But I had been on hydorcodone. I have a herniated disk in my back, and I have almost chronic pain and I can't help but wonder if I am addicted to painmeds. Because I read once that your body will start to feel pain just so you will take the meds and I am beginning to wonder if that is what is happening. I'm gong to talk to my doctor about using a tens unit to help control the pain.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
    MsMinn
    (female)

MsMinn HB User

I am on day 10 of withdrawal from ultram/tramadol. I don't know how similar ultracet is but if you have addictive or depressive tendencies at all, I would advise you to stay far away from them. I was on them last year for a shorter time and the WD was bad but this has been even worse this time and I tapered. Perhaps because I took it for a couple months longer, not sure. It helped my menstrual cramps so I tried it again this year and wish I'd never ever seen the stuff.
    But, as others have said....we are all different.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Minn

Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

This is a post from 3 years ago, its funny how old post pop up out of no where, Marlena, you may want to start your own new thread so people can respond to you and help you out with getting off the ultram. I know the mods like you to start a new post rather than responding to one that is so old.

SS

Closed Thread