It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

In Recovery, living with triggers

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
KatMUA
(female)

KatMUA HB User
In Recovery, living with triggers

Hi all! This is my first post here. I am an addict, I went to rehab three years ago, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was clean for two years after, then I relapsed on xanax. In December, I took 60 xanax bars in one day. I woke up knowing full well I shouldn't be alive. The detox was such hell, I wish it on no one. But it changed me. A lot. It impacted who I am. I am now focused on healthy living and growing as a person. I have changed enormously. Unfortunately, I live with an angry husband. He often has angry outbursts and calls me names and insults me. I've finally learned not to freak out when he threatens divorce, he says it all the time. We've been married for five years. Due to my former drug use, I was involved in several car wrecks and now we can't afford car insurance. So I'm homebound. This really puts a wrench in my escape plan. I have an escape plan, but it will take a good year to carry out. In the meantime, I am triggered every time my husband becomes verbally abusive. I am focusing on my walk with the Lord and keeping myself healthy, but I do feel triggered often.
Does anyone else live with a trigger? How do you keep your disease under control?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: KatMUA
movielover40 (03-03-2017),Phoenix (03-03-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
Phoenix
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: In Recovery, living with triggers

"How do you keep your disease under control?"

Welcome KatMUA and welcome. :-)

There's a saying that goes "those who fail to remember the past, are doomed to repeat it."

Now i'm not saying to obsess over it but placing things in their proper perspective goes a long way towards a better quality of living.

Respectfully

PHOENIX

Reply Reply