It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Recreational substance abuse getting out of hand.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Colton213
(male)

Colton213 HB User
Recreational substance abuse getting out of hand.

I find myself getting out of control at times with my coke weed and alcohol abuse. I always tell myself that it's under control but it just isn't. Looking for some quick tips as I don't think it'll take too much extra to drop it again. Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to Colton213:
movielover40 (03-15-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Recreational substance abuse getting out of hand.

The quickest tip is to stop using drugs. I dont mean this scarcastically, but if you can quit cold turkey, then you have the problem under control and fixed..if you cannot quit, then the problem is out of control and you probably need some assistance...as in rehab.

Unfortunately, quitting is never easy..if it was, everyone would be doing it. You seem to really want to know if you have a problem or not, so test yourself. But remember, slipping up even once is not quitting. So unless you are ready for a drug free existence, you are not ready to quit and probably have a problem.

I wish you the very best. Ive seen drugs destroy people close to me. I hope you can do this for yourself and those who love you.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Colton213
(male)

Colton213 HB User

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely will do everything I can to stop.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
mtwtfss
(female)

mtwtfss HB User

I find myself in the same situation... I am actually physically and mentally so weak when it comes to alcohol... I do not smoke however, I could easily refrain from one substance and convert to another. In all honestly I can not tell you how to quit, you do if fact need to be willing to refocus one negative habit into a positive one
Unfortunately I slip up about once every month and it kills my body, I bounce back ultimately however the entire DT period is so tough... it is self sabotage on a lot of people's part- the traits associated with addictive personalities are basically the same throughout genetic predisposition. I also find watching online videos based on addiction can help try to alleviate the negative symptoms as well as be a genuine wake up call....

Hope this helps

Mtwtfss

Last edited by mtwtfss; 03-13-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton213 View Post
I find myself getting out of control at times with my coke weed and alcohol abuse. I always tell myself that it's under control but it just isn't. Looking for some quick tips as I don't think it'll take too much extra to drop it again. Thanks

Hey there, you've taken the first step (which is huge!!), by realising and admitting to yourself that this is becoming a problem that needs to be rectified, good on you!

As for how to quit, only you can do that for yourself and I am speaking from experience, it takes a lot of will power and determination to get through it - but it can be done and you will end up feeling so so much better for it!

Are you able to get some medical help in your area? Changing daily habits and sometimes friends can be of help too.

I personally spoke out to my doctor about my addiction (that I hid daily for 8yrs, not even my husband knew ). I went to Detox and am on suboxone now but have been clean of opiates for 2yrs now.

All the best!
K.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Colton213
(male)

Colton213 HB User

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think once I cut back on my drinking everything else will follow suit . I only seem to crave cocaine when I'm loaded. Taking a step back from the drinking should be all I need to do

Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Being aware you have a problem is a great step.

I would stop drinking completely for the time being.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hey there Colton, how are you going now?

Just thought I would check in and see how things are travelling for you, I hope you are doing well!
K.

Reply Reply