It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Diazepam addiction/taper down method

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
    Sandbar12
    (female)

Sandbar12 HB User
    Diazepam addiction/taper down method

This is my first post. Reason I'm here is because I have been taking 5mg of Diazepam for about 14 years. I have suffered with anxiety for many years. When my anxiety did get better, I could go two weeks and not need a pill. Recently I became my mom's primary caregiver and felt my anxiety creeping back in. Now I feel when I want to skip a day of the diazepam, I get very jittery, sweat, trouble sleeping. I realize that I must get off this medication.

I have read not to do this cold turkey. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I do not take any other anxiety meds only try to supplement with natural options such as L-theanine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
    MikeyD33
    (male)

MikeyD33 HB User
    Cool Re: Diazepam addiction/taper down method

Sandbar, did you start your benzo taper yet? Please do not go cold turkey. I tapered of Clonazepam earlier this year. I had been on the drug for about 4 months when I started the taper. I purchased a micro gram scale and used a serrated edge knife to scrape the pill into powder. I then weighed the powder each time I dosed. I tapered down very gradually. You can get a decent micro gram scale on the internet for 20 or 30 bucks. It is well worth it. If you start to get anxious during the taper, you can always hold at the current level and then start to taper again when you are ready.

I tapered from June to September. It is now December and I am doing great. No panic and no anxiety (other than the normal type of anxiety most people experience about work deadlines, public speaking, etc. Also, I am sleeping well.

Please let me know if you have any more specific questions, I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Reply Reply