It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

How long can I take suboxone to recover from opiods before I will have withdrawal

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Dac2828
(male)

Dac2828 HB User
How long can I take suboxone to recover from opiods before I will have withdrawal

I was just prescribed 2mg Suboxone to get off a 90 mg oxycodone habit that was a month long. This was my second time using oxycodone and the reason I went back on oxycodone is because I couldn't get off the suboxone I used to get off oxycodone the first time, if that makes sense. I didn't get the suboxone strips from a from a doctor the first time. My question is how many days can I take the Suboxone before I have to withdrawal from it? Also can I take Clonidine to sleep even though I am taking suboxone? I called my doctor and he has not got back to me yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
CandiceC85
(female)

CandiceC85 HB User
Re: How long can I take suboxone to recover from opiods before I will have withdrawal

Ok. I will give you the rundown on how it has worked for me. I've been taking Suboxone 8mg/2mg for the last 3 years. I started at 3 strips a day and now I only take 1 strip a day...sometimes. When I first started taking it, if I came off for even a short period of time I had withdrawals. Fast forward to now. I can go off the medication and have no problems. I used to panic if I knew I was going to run out, etc. Now, I don't run out b/c I have plenty left over at the end of the month. I don't take them every day. I know it is probably I crutch and I could come off completely at this point, but I was a very heavy user for more than ten years and I've been opiate free for the last 3 which I would not have been able to do without the Suboxone and the other medications I now take for my psychiatric issues. I plan to cease taking the strips when I hit the 4 year mark in July. So basically, what I am saying is for me it worked the opposite way and I think maybe it is because of the addiction that when you first start taking them you'll have the withdrawals and after a while you begin to lose that need. I don't feel anything like I did in the beginning physically(which was terrible) and from a mental standpoint now it is very rare that I think, "omg I need that now or I'm just not going to make it" or you know something similar. Don't worry about how long you take the medication. You take it as long as it takes you to get where you need to be both physically and emotionally. Other people might say, "well, you're just swapping one addiction for another", but that isn't how it works.

Reply Reply