It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

How do I stop drinking? I want to try on my own.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Faith51
(female)

Faith51 HB User
How do I stop drinking? I want to try on my own.

I have been drinking a couple to a few beers a night for 30 years. I retired from a very physical job in December and started drinking more. My husband would complain about it so I started buying , drinking, and hiding Vodka. I am probably having the equivelant of 6-10 drinks a day now. Some days I wake up very shaky.

I have been the epitome of fitness up until I retired in December. Now because of the drinking I don't feel like working out and I have gained 15 pounds! It's a vicious cycle because this only makes me want to drink more. Can I do this on my own?

I am so freaked out about having a seizure but I don't know if I drank enough to warrant that? Does anyone know? I just want to quit so bad and get back to my physical fitness. I have had only two beers today and still feel ok. My goal is to taper and quit completely. I want to enjoy my retirement. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this.
Thank you my friends.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: How do I stop drinking? I want to try on my own.

Dear Faith,

In my opinion, since you tend to addiction, NO alcohol is the best policy. That you have been drinking 30 years, and you buy it, drink it and hide it appears exactly like plain old addiction. I say six to ten drinks a day and waking up shaky at all is addiction.

The vicious cycle in my opinion is that you keep doing the exact same thing. To break a cycle you have to do something different. Like admitting what you are doing to your spouse and/or to a support group and making yourself accountable.

You aren't yet freaked out enough having a seizure to stop the cycle of addiction. No one can guess how close you are to paying a severe physical price, But it seems to me that you are very close.

When you really want to quit and get back to your physical fitness you will throw out the booze and make yourself accountable to someone else and go back to your workouts. What shape do you think your liver and other organs are in after all that alcohol? You might want to get a physical and find out. The true shape your body is in might be the wake up call you need.

No one but you can decide for you. How you will live is entirely up to you.
What do you choose?

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 07-17-2018 at 01:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to YaYagirl For This Useful Post:
Faith51 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Faith51
(female)

Faith51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
Dear Faith,

In my opinion, since you tend to addiction, NO alcohol is the best policy. That you have been drinking 30 years, and you buy it, drink it and hide it appears exactly like plain old addiction. I say six to ten drinks a day and waking up shaky at all is addiction.

The vicious cycle in my opinion is that you keep doing the exact same thing. To break a cycle you have to do something different. Like admitting what you are doing to your spouse and/or to a support group and making yourself accountable.

You aren't yet freaked out enough having a seizure to stop the cycle of addiction. No one can guess how close you are to paying a severe physical price, But it seems to me that you are very close.

When you really want to quit and get back to your physical fitness you will throw out the booze and make yourself accountable to someone else and go back to your workouts. What shape do you think your liver and other organs are in after all that alcohol? You might want to get a physical and find out. The true shape your body is in might be the wake up call you need.

No one but you can decide for you. How you will live is entirely up to you.
What do you choose?

Love,
Ok. I think I am going to stop cold turkey. I just want to be done with it. I was going to try a way of tapering down because I fear a seizure but I am going to pray, call my doctor and quit. I never thought it would get to this point. I am getting up to go work out now. It's time to take my life back. I thought everything would be great after retirement. Not so much. I want my job back. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
Thank you my friend.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Faith51
SanyBelle (09-12-2018),YaYagirl (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Faith,

Well, if you don't mind I will pray for supernatural resolve and will power to be added to what you already have!

Maybe there is an idea that you have had that will be even more fulfilling!
Retirement from one job doesn't need to be retirement from a fulfilling life, as you know. I can see that you have a lot to give.

You are so very welcome!

Love,

Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
SanyBelle
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

How are you doing today, Faith?

Reply Reply