It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Tolerance to benzos? Help, anyone?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
    TruthSeeker25
    (male)

TruthSeeker25 HB User
    Tolerance to benzos? Help, anyone?

I have been taking benzos like xanax, klonopin, and valium for 30 years now but not all at the same time. Xanax for the 1st 7-8 years (became tolerant with horrendous withdrawal), klonopin for 10 years (became tolerant with horrendous withdrawal), and now valium for the last 13 years. Now, the valium is not working due to tolerance. I have been through this with xanax and klonopin prior. I have tried ativan and it does not help. None are really helping me anymore so I am trying to withdraw bc I am so sick and still taking the valium. I mean what choice do I have? I started benzos back in the mid 80's for severe anxiety and panic. Boy, now I wish I had never laid eyes on these drugs even tho they were so helpful in those early years. Now, I feel sick 24/7 and nothing helps so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Tolerance to benzos? Help anyone--

Dear TruthSeeker,

I am so sorry that you are stuck in the anxiety med quagmire! I have fought through suicidal, extreme anxiety myself and I know it can be really, really rough. My anxiety was so bad that I really did not want to live. The main reason (not because I was brave at all) that I avoided those drugs was because I hated how they feel, plus I had hepatitis C and the drugs were destructive to my already compromised liver.

What helped me most was getting talk therapy, and that meant I had to face very scary and self-destructive demons. But it worked. Things in life can still be tough, but I have learned to face them. The alternative, being drugged out of my mind and ruining my health is not worth it.

If you want weaned off those drugs and helped in healthy ways, help is out there. You can start talking to your doctors about getting the help you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    TruthSeeker25 (03-20-2019)
    Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
    TruthSeeker25
    (male)

TruthSeeker25 HB User

Thanks yayagirl. Yeah, I have no choice now. The drugs barely work anymore and I am terribly sick. I pray I survive this. Thanks so much for the response and support. I am glad you have been able to manage w/o the drugs. IMO, now things are 10X worse than they were before I ever started the drugs if you can imagine that. It is a hell like no other!

Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear TruthSeeker,

Yes, unfortunately, I sure can imagine things being worse!
    By my own experiences.

You CAN survive! There are foods that feed the brain, and I don't mean 'comfort' foods. Comfort foods are the fluff we ate to make our taste buds happy. I am talking about nutrition. Drugs are not health foods.

To survive and thrive, we alone have to make that choice. We can even go to a food bank and choose foods that feed the brain. Like tuna and skip the desserts and fast foods.

Sugar is not brain food.
    Benzos do not heal our emotions.

Hon, it's up to us as individuals to get serious about our own health. I completely understand if you don't feel up to it. But we each get only one body, and one life.
    What we choose to do with it is up to us.

I am sure something has been holding you back from taking good care of your self.
    Do you know what that is?

Hugs,

Old 11-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
    Re: Tolerance to benzos? Help, anyone?

I used the Ashton Method switching from short-term xanax to Valium. I started off with 80 mg of Valium and have tapered to 15 mg at night. I go down to 14 mg. in 2 weeks. And 1 mg. every 2 weeks.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Tolerance to benzos? Help, anyone?

Your doctor should be prescribing a step down method of weaning you off these drugs... by slowing down the amount your body gets every week you can learn to live without them. I know its hard and may even seem impossible, but you need to talk to your doctor about your feelings and ASK her/ him to help you get through the withdraw.

Reply Reply