It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Addiction to Gambling- HELP

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
    Jerlene
    (female)

Jerlene HB User
    Addiction to Gambling- HELP

This cry of help is not for me, but for my Mother.

My mother recently admitted to me that she has a gambling addiction. This confession came after she ran herself into financial crisis where she basically gambled her paycheck and could not finance her liabilities and obligations. This also includes food for her household. Yes horrible i know.

I was furious but i also know that gambling is an addiction and its reaaaaal!

Of course that's my mother so i help her financially but idk what to do with her.

How can i mentally help my mother?

The following user gives a hug of support to Jerlene:
    quincy (04-26-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Addiction to Gambling- HELP

Hi...the fact she admitted it is a good step, but it's most helpful if she can be in therapy as well as maybe Gamblers Anonymous. You should consider support for families of gamblers (Gam-Anon) so that you recognise your role in her recovery.

Regarding her finances, the bottom line is her accountability. If you help her financially, is that money in her hand or paying bills from your end?

You and your mom could set up a plan through a financial planner and for her to not have access except to a specific amount so that her bills are being paid.

The behaviour of gambling is like addiction of any kind...fast satisfaction on the hope of a win (the high of anticipating and the low of losing) It's much easier than creating a plan. It's so more than just gambling...it involves emotional, rational, physiological and behavioural cycling.

In addition....she should have a thorough physical check up with bloodwork, and her medications (if on any) should be monitored. She may have depression, low on vitamin levels and nutrition, or even issues with aging of her brain or hormonal highs and lows.

Please let us know how she is doing.
    q

Old 04-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: Addiction to Gambling- HELP

I can't remember which one, but a certain medication even has gambling as one of the side effects. Check her meds!

Reply Reply