It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• A message from the other side

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
    Yossarian22
    Veteran
    (male)

Yossarian22 HB User
    Thumbs up A message from the other side

I was a long term Heroin addict. It ruined my life. I was treated with methadone as a replacement when i made the choice of trying to get my life back together. Over the period of about a year i weaned myself off and attended counselling. When i stopped taking any methadone or drugs, i started posting on here. I shared my thoughts and received some great support and advice from other board members. It was a very challenging time.

That was 12 years ago. I am and have stayed clean since.

For those of you stuck in the rut of addiction and those in the throws of withdrawal - my heart goes out to you regardless of the legality or situation surrounding your circumstances.

You made it this far. You might start with whatappears to be just a post on a forum on the internet, but its a step. A step in the right direction. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step - with addiction, the first 500 miles you are walking through the desert , knowing that you could easily call a metaphorical Uber to take you far away from the heat and torture.
    Keep going. Put one mental foot in front of the other. Day by day. It'll be hard, you'll have to force every part of lifting that foot off the ground and moving it forward some days - but you can do it. Some days you'll think you cant go on, most days you'll want to give up. The internal monologue - the voice inside your head that tells you cant do it, thats your addiction. You need to keep going, ignore the voice, its a load and very convincing voice, it'll talk in tones of sympathy and tell you everything you want to hear at the time. The thing is, thats not your voice. Your real voice is so quiet it cant be heard.
    The further you get on your journey, the stronger you become. The stronger you become, the more your voice grows. In time the voice of addiction becomes drowned out, it never really goes away, it becomes a powerless whisper.

When you get to your 1000th mile, you'll look back and wonder who that person was at the start of the journey.

Keep talking, ask for advice, seek counselling (CBT works well for a lot of people), focus on the positives - you have so much to gain. Never give up - it may sound corny but you ARE worth it. It is possible. If i did it, id say most people can (and i have had some dark times to tempt me since making it through this!!!).

Once youve made it, help others whenever you can. Your words of advice may just be the encouragement someone needs to keep walking the path to recovery. A few nice words can make a world of difference, you'd be amazed.

Not sure why after 10 years i logged on today. Just felt that i owed it somehow. If there are any people on here from way back then - i hope life is treating you well and that you're still fighting the good fight

Take care & keep on keeping on X

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

The following user gives a hug of support to Yossarian22:
    JustMeInID (09-13-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

« Methadone Problems | - »