It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Today is supposed to be my first day w/o hydrocodone, I'm so afraid of w/d

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2003, 05:25 AM   #1
    sooready

sooready HB User
    Post Today is supposed to be my first day w/o hydrocodone, I'm so afraid of w/d

Hi there. I've been taking hydrocodone for almost two years now and it's time I have to get off of them. I've never been more afraid of anything. I just don't know if I'm going to handle the withdrawals and also just what kind of person I am going to bewithout these things now.
    I would love to get anyones advice or suggestions. Today is supposed to be my first day without any hydrocodone. I'm actually really excited to be rid of these things but I am sooo afraid of the withdrawals. WHen I tried in the past the worst feeling for me was the anxious feeling I felt inside, I just couldn't keep still. I never made it past one day but this time my husband knows and is there to support so hopefully.... The meds that are supposed to help me through this are Wellbutrin, Clonodine, Klonopin and Gabitril. Has anyone tried these before and had any luck? I would love to hear any trick of getting through the withdrawals, if there is one. Also,I love reading all the support you give each other on here. All of you seem so wonderful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 06:29 AM   #2
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User
    Sooready . . . there are a lot of folks on this board who have been or who are presently in your shoes. I hope they give you some advice. When my husband went through withdrawals from hydrocodone, he drank plenty of Gatorade, took vitamins, and Immodium AD. It was really hard for him and I know he wanted to use soooo bad. He is also on wellbutrin and it seems to help him. Anyway . . . good luck to you and just take it one day and one moment at a time!

Old 06-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
    LITTLEREDDODGEC
    Inactive

LITTLEREDDODGEC HB User
    Cool

HI SWEETIE, I AM ON DAY 9 OF BEING CLEAN FROM VICODINS, I ALSO USED THEM FOR 2 YEARS, AND WAS UP TO USING ABOUT 15-20 PER DAY. I WENT COLD TURKEY, BUT THE FIRST 2 DAYS I DID TAKE 2 DARVOCETS EACH DAY, AND XANAX AT NIGHT TO SLEEP. I ALSO TAKE PAXIL AND TRAZADONE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ON FOR THE LAST 12 YEARS. THE FIRST FEW DAYS ARE REALLY TUFF, BUT YOU WILL MAKE IT PAST IT. SLEEP WAS REALLY HARD FOR ME, AND I KNOW THAT CAN'T SIT STILL FEELING. BUT IT DOESN'ST LAST TOLONG HONEY, YOU CAN MAKE IT I KNOW YOU CAN. THIS BOARD HAS BEEN A GREAT SUPPORT TO ME, SO KEEP POSTING AND IF THERES ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP YOU, JUST HOLLER!! YOUR IN MY PRAYERS.

------------------
    LITTLERED

Old 06-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #4
    sooready

sooready HB User
    Hopefortoday: Thank you for your thoughts! AFter reading your post I have been drinking a lot of gatorade now to. How is he doing now? Has he gotten through a few days? Thank you so much for your reply!

LITTLERED: That is so great you have made it through so many days. Can I ask how you did it? and can I ask how are doing now? How long did the can't sit still feeling last for you? I hope you don't mind all of the questions. I can't tell how much I appreciate you replying to my note it just makes me feel better knowing someone else that did the same things I have done and that I'm not the only one that got messed up in this. THank you!!!

A question about this board: Am I doing this right? Do I just keep replying to my own message or am I supposed to start a new thread. I've never been on any kind of forum before. Thanks!!!

Old 06-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
    memissa

memissa HB User
    You are doing everything right. It will feel great not to be addicted to these any longer. What a life change!!!!Lots of us out here are rooting for you. It will be tough, the hardest thing I ever did. Esp. the RUNS!!!!That alone is bad enough. Take care. God bless and keep you.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:15 PM   #6
    Percokitty
    Inactive

Percokitty HB User
    Hiya,
    first of all everybody is different (for instance for some strange reason I never got the 'runs' when i stopped opiates).

From being in medical detox (both inpatient & outpatient) in the past, I can tell you what the protocol for getting off vicodin is. Some things you may be able to get, others, depends on if a Dr. is willing to help you.

Someone mentioned darvocet at first. That helps alot if you take about 3 darvocet when you first stop the vicodin. I've seen them give this to people who were withdrawing from vicodin and I thought not fair - becasue at the time - I was withdrawing from darvocet and they weren't giving me darvocet!!!

The clonidine patch helps with the "anxiety" quite a bit including the restless legs, etc. It's a blood pressure lowering med, but it attaches to certain receptors and inhibits sympathetic nervous system responses which is increased during withdrawal. For me, this is the most important thing to have while going through withdrawal. It knocks me out because I have low blood pressure to begin with -- but I'd rather be knocked out than jumping around like a jelly bean.

I take klonopin anyway for anxiety - have been for awhile - but they do give you that or ativan (1-3 per day) for the first week of acute withdrawal.

Trazadone or Doxepin (both very sedative antidepressants) are given to help you sleep. And they also can knock you out; however, I've always had trouble sleeping anyway, even with them; sleep patterns take awhile to get back to normal.

The paxil & wellbutrin (both antidepressants) are probably given because depression is concurrent with withdrawal.. Maybe it helps some, but I try and stay away from antidepressants while I'm withdrawing so I don't get side effects mixed up

They would also give you muscle relaxers.

Immodium as someone mentioned.

And I want to mention something that a Dr. once gave me - altho i didn't use it because at the time, the restless legs had stopped; but it's supposed to take away that symptom completely. It is also used for Parkinsons disease. It was called amantadine.

Congratulations on being ready. You will probably do good. Sleep through it if you can, drink alot of fluids (gatorate, juices), you will sweat alot....

It's still no picnic even with all the stuff above, but it sure helps.

Kitty

Old 06-28-2003, 08:13 AM   #7
    memissa

memissa HB User
    So, how r u today? Just thought I'd check on you and see if we made it through the first day. If not, don't give up, sometimes it takes a few tries to kick this one. Here's rootin' for ya!!! God Bless!!!

Old 06-28-2003, 08:15 AM   #8
    dcchickster

dcchickster HB User
    hey girl your on your way to a better way of life, keep up the good work, day one is truly a beginning. my partner is going through this right now to, she is on day 7, and doing well the wd were over in three to four days, now she is very fatiged, but makin it. we will pray for you, she is also on blood pressure meds, they do help. its good you have your husband there to support you, tell him to be patient with you, its not always easy, but sure can be done, good luck and and keep us up on your progress. Jacko

Old 06-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #9
    LITTLEREDDODGEC
    Inactive

LITTLEREDDODGEC HB User
    Cool

HI SWEETIE, WELL ITS DAY 10 AND I FEEL SO GOOD. I NEVER KNEW FEELING GOOD COULD EVER BE WITHOUT VICODINS. THE ANXIETY LAST ABOUT 3 DAYS, AND THEN IT STARTS GETTING BETTER. THE WORST THINGS THE FIRST 2 DAYS WERE TERRIBLE SWEATING AND COLD CHILLS. THE RUNS WHICH I TOOK IMMODIUM FOR, THE ANXIETY I TOOK A HALF OF A 05 MG. XANEX THE FIRST 3 NIGHTS AFTER THAT I DIDN'T NEED IT. HONEY THE FIRST COUPLE DAYS ARE THE HARDEST, BUT IT GETS EASIER AFTER THAT. YOUR THINKING IS MORE CLEAR, YOU FEEL LIKE GETTIN OUT AND DOING SOMETHING. I HAVEN'T BEEN OUT OF THE HOUSE HAS MUCH AS I HAVE THE LAST 10 DAYS, JUST FEELS GOOD TO BE ALIVE. HONEY YOU CAN BEAT THIS THING, AND I AM HEAR FOR YOU ANYTIME, JUST GIVE ME A HOLLER, YOUR IN MY PRAYERS. DAY 10 FEELING GREAT!!!!

------------------
    LITTLERED

Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
    ami62678
    (female)

ami62678 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Today is supposed to be my first day w/o hydrocodone, I'm so afraid of w/d

Hi today is my first day of hydrocodone withdrawl, i am scared. Can anybody give me advice on what helps how long it iwll last and what to expect. I have been taking the for about 3 mos now and have about a 30-40 mg a day habit. I am quiting because i don't like waking up in the nmorning and having that be the first thing on my mind, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.undefined

Old 01-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: Today is supposed to be my first day w/o hydrocodone, I'm so afraid of w/d

See 4 posts above. Also, drink lots of water and try to eat. If you can't eat then drink some Ensure shakes. Take a multi-vitamin every day. REST. Hot showers will help. It won't be too bad. Don't give in to the devil....opiates ARE the devil.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
    Mike_NY
    (male)

Mike_NY HB User

I took .25 to .50 mg of klonopin in the first 3 days of my detox and it worked like a charm to take the edge off. I just broke the 1mg tabs into pieces. It will help you sleep at night too.

I stopped taking it. Don't take this stuff for more than 4 or 5 days in heavy doses or you'll be rid of your hydro addiction and stuck with a benzo addiction which is 10 times worse.

Wish I could type more but I'm in a rush to a NA meeting.

Best of luck to you!

Mike

Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #13
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Ditto above. Benzo withdrawal can cause death. Only use them for a couple of days and try not to use them.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:32 AM   #14
    carolkinch

carolkinch HB User

Dear Sooready,
    How are you doing today? Just remember, all you need to do today is deal with today. Take the meds as prescribed to help you through, keep you body hydrated and take some nice, hot baths. I found that walking on the treadmill "helped"; gave me something to do that also gets your body to start making it's own endorphins again. Percokitty gave you good advice on what the meds are for. Many of them do make you very sleepy and "out of it," but that's okay for now to help get you through withdrawls and give your body some rest. I wish you ALL THE BEST. Keep us posted on how you're doing, please.
    C.

Closed Thread