It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Ran Out of Ambien!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #1
    Pretender

Pretender HB User
    Unhappy Ran Out of Ambien!!!!

Help! This is my first night without Ambien because I took it during the daytime to get out of back pain so I am out until the 11th. This happened because I used up my R/X for Norco a bit too soon, again! I have been on pain meds for quite a few years and they are not working as well as they used to.I see my Dr. this Monday and I am afraid to tell him this because I do not want to be cut off! But I am also afraid that he would prescribe something stronger like Oxycontin and from what I've heard about it from the people on this board, it's a killer! Why is it worse than the Opiates? What can I take to get some sleep in the meantime? Is Benedril the most effective? I would appreciate anyone's suggestions, because it's 1 AM on the West coast and I'm not even slightly sleepy. I'm used to a deep, restful Ambien sleep which never makes me feel groggy in the morning. Thanks to anyone who's up this late or early in the morning that can help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 04:33 AM   #2
    #1Texan
    Veteran

#1Texan HB User
    Pretender,
    Try some Melatonin. This helps me to sleep and not feel groggy when waking up.

Take care
    #1Texan

Old 07-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer HB User
    Hi Pretender,
    I have tried them all and found that a simple OTC remedy , doxylamine succinate,(the active ingredient in Unisom I think) works like a charm. If my recollection is right it's the CVS generic sleep aid. Benedryl made me groggy but everyone is different. Hope this helps......Linda

Old 07-04-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
    Pretender

Pretender HB User
    Tex and Linda, Thanks for the advice. I will try both of your recommendations. I finally got to sleep around 4AM and slept for 4 1/2 hours with the aid of a half of Lorcet every hour & 1/2 or so. I don't feel too bad today and as my sponsor in AA once said, "You can't die from a lack of sleep!" I am finally getting over a viral infection which I have had for one month. I am presently not taking any antibiotics just vitamins. I did take Zithromax for 5 days and on the 10th day after taking it, I got sicker than before! Will any of those sleep aids affect my recovery from this other illness? I am new to this board and I am so glad that I found it and that we can all inform and support one another!

[This message has been edited by Pretender (edited 07-04-2003).]

Old 07-04-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
    #1Texan
    Veteran

#1Texan HB User
    Pretender
    I'm glad your were able to get a few hours of sleep, you may not die from lack of sleep but over time and I mean years, you start to develop health issues as your body is never fully rested to fight off things.

I spoke with my pharmacist' just this week about the melatonin, and she said she has never heard or read of any adverse affect from it when you are taking other vitamins or prescriptions.

I have used the melatonin over a month now, and this past week every night. I know I feel better with the xtra sleep I have been getting, and I sure need that right now.
    Melatonin will be with the vitamins at your local pharmacy or grocery store. I myself take two and can get a full 6 hours, you may need more or less, depending on your body size and sensitivity to it.

I wish you some well deserved rest.
    Take care

#1Texan

Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
    dinel

dinel HB User
    Why not unisom, it worked for me!

Old 07-04-2003, 09:09 PM   #7
    CRAZE

CRAZE HB User
    Oxycontin is not the devil pill if you take it as prescribed. However, most of us found out that if you crush it you get all the 12 hours worth of pain meds at one time. This is abuse and will most certain lead to addiction.
    Some of us are better off not having them around. You say you have a sponser, what would your sponse say about it?
    CRAZE

Old 07-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
    AP

AP HB User
    How many times a day were you taking it? what mg?

Old 07-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #9
    FWCadeFoster
    Inactive

FWCadeFoster HB User
    people drink mouth wash to get drunk, That doesn' make it a killer. OxyContin is just a "big name" for opiate abusers and curious children. It's not worse than any other opiate. People even abuse ritalin.

I use atihistamine's too like vistaril, and unisom to help sleep and during the day to so I dont have to take so many benzos.

Closed Thread