It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help With Quitting Hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2003, 11:28 PM   #16
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi all of you! It sure makes me feel good to have all of few say a few words. Until I found this board I felt completely alone and I didn't think anyone was doing what I was. Cjari, I'm glad you have things under control. To tell you the truth, these hydros scared me so much I don't want to take any more of anything that is narcotic. That's what I'm going to talk to the doc about on Monday. But that's me and I have to hand it to you because you are off the crap and doing something good for yourself. Sincerely, I was worried about you last night and I felt "sincerely" joyful when I read you were doing good and not taking a thing. I am so impressed and I said some prayers for you and sent you some positive energy so I know you will be okay. Platinum, your story is so much like mine. I was taking 25 to 30 hydros a day and I could take that and more if I wanted. When I saw my regular doc last time I saw him that I was taking that many and I was worried about my liver, he said, "Don't worry about your liver. Your liver can heal itself very quick." Then he wrote me another RX and he gives me separate ones to take to different pharmacies because one time the pharmacy gave him a hard time about all the refills and that kind of thing. Anyway, I see my neuro doc on Monday and I'll ask him about the pills you're taking. But if they're narcotics then I'll tell him I don't want them and I'll just keep tapering down.
    I really appreciate all of you taking time to write to me or in my thread. I'll pray for all of you and we can do this if we stick together. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 11:38 PM   #17
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hey, Jerri, I have to write a separate message to you because I don't know if you know it, but you are someone really special to me. You took the time to talk to me and you still do and I feel like you really care. That blows me away, lol. I haven't met you but I feel your energy and I can tell you are a really good person. So thanks for being my friend here in cyber world. I am doing okay. I cut down to 18 today and it isn't that much but it was hard. I have to admit that I thought a lot about those two "lost" pills today, lol. But I made this first day at another cut down so I'm going to stay here a while and then keep going down. I will definitely keep in touch and I want you to know that I say a special prayer for you every day. I'm still scared all the time and I don't know what that's all about because I really haven't had any wds yet. Anyway, I love coming to this board and reading every night and I think about you a lot always with good thoughts and wishes for loads and loads of blessings in your life because I know you have helped a lot of people. Thanks again for caring and I'll keep you posted. Today I'm 7 less pills than just a week or so ago. Yeah!

Old 07-10-2003, 01:13 AM   #18
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Root,I'm up late tonight cause I finaly get two days off in a row!! I'm tired http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gifas can be!So this is a short one! I'm so proud of you (down to 18 pills)already! You keep up the good work!And being scared is normal cause we all are scared of the unexpected!You dont know what its going to be like with every drop you take in your meds!And then you dont know what its going to be like when you have no meds!Its very very scarry!But it feels so nice to wake up and not have to reach for the pills!! I guess I'm feeling a little talkative for being sooooo tired! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif So I'll sign off for now and will check in tomarrow!Your very special!!Love ya..Jerri

Old 07-10-2003, 04:16 AM   #19
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Hey Root keep up the good work. Hopefully you saw my post in another thread about taper schedule info, take a look if you get a chance. Great progress and stay focused,keep to your reduction plan. The thing that I fault with taper is trying to get to 0 pills to fast which causes W/D's. You will not believe how great life is without these darn pills.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #20
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Way to go Root I am proud of you 7 pills in a week I wish I could do that cuz if I could I would be totally detoxed/tapered by now. I was taking 8 to 10 pills (percs) a day as percsribed by my doc. 2 tabs 4 times a day I am now down to 6 in 2 weeks. And plan to go down another 2. One pill a week and I havent felt anything yet just my headaches which are mild for now.
    You have done a wonderful job and having a good friend here to talk to on the boards does help ALOT I call this board my family because thats what it feels like here. I have watched many become clean here and it just amazes me the strength of my family members here my most memorable family member's detox was my friend Timsworld...now there is a strong man...he fought every step of the way...he was ALWAYS here posting and Myself among others were always here answering him I watched him go from a shaky mess, not able to sleep to the strong drug free, ever so helpful man he is today I think hes been clean about 3 months now and I am so proud of him (oh tim my tim) So you see it can be done and I have no doubt you will do it too. My prayers are with you. God bless.
    Autumn.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #21
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi Everyone, I bet you thought I got lost, right? Lol. I guess I did in a way because I had a real rough time when I cut down to 18. I think I stayed there one day or so and then I went on a binge for a day--40! I never took so many and I was sick the whole next day and ashamed because I thought I was doing so good. But I don't want to lose my friends here and I don't want to give up so I figured I better get back and let you all know what happened. I feel very bad and I'm so mad at myself. I don't know why I did that because every time I took a pill I yelled at myself and I didn't get high or anything, just really down and felt like you know what. I saw the doctor today--well my doctor sees me one time and then every other time I see a nurse who is Advanced Practice. I actually like her better than the doctor. Anyway, I told her the whole story and she was very nice and it seemed like she understood. She told me for now to stay at 18 to 20 and don't take any unless I'm really hurting. She also gave me a RX for an antiinflamatory drug. She said I should start on that and get it in my system and then maybe she'll increase it or whatever, but then she would help me to start tapering off the hydros. I thought for sure I would be in big trouble but she was very nice but it really didn't matter because I still feel bad and I still want to quit. Jerri or Phil or Autumn or anyone, why do you think I did that binge? Has anyone else had this happen? I didn't have any wd so I don't get it. I hope you guys won't be too mad at me because I'm still going to do this, I just had a setback. I'll be glad to hear from you so I know you're not mad. You all gave me a lot of time and encouragement so I'm sorry to let you down but I'm still going to do this. Oh, good news is that no surgery, at least for now. I have to see some spinal therapist and maybe I won't have to have any more surgery. Thanks for listening and for caring.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:27 AM   #22
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Root,I'm so glad your alright!I was worried about you!Yes I've done that before too!Dont ask me why!Alls we do is waste the pills and make ourselfs feel bad about doing it!As long as your back on track thats what counts! So dont be hard on yourself!K?Thats great that you are working with the Dr.to cut down!That helps alot to have them to understand what your going through!And great about no surgery too!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif Keep up the good work and dont look back!! Love ya..Jerri

Old 07-15-2003, 05:37 AM   #23
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Root so glad to hear from ya, and glad you are AOK.

Hey don't beat yourself up, trust me we have all done what you have done so you are not the first nor will you be the last to have this happen. Actually we all beat you to what happened to you. The great news is your working closely with your nurse, you have confided with a professional and our receiving professional help. That is wonderful. I can't tell you how good I felt when I told my Primary Care Physician my situation with the pain meds. He was absolutely wonderful. He was strict and tough with me and helped me create and stick to a schedule but he was always there for me and very compassionate. What a great feeling it is now that I'm 6 months down the road and every time I see my Dr I can proudly say everything is great and no issues with the pain meds. Root I was into the pain meds as a result of herniated disc's in my back so we are similar in that regard. I just went into the deep end when I let the high take over.

So keep working with your nurse, stay to plan, don't be afraid to ask the nurse for complimentary meds to help with withdrawals should you experience much discomfort. The anti-inflammatoryís should help, be careful of Soma, as it's is physically if not mentally addicting. It never did anything for me but my doc was saying many do have issues with Soma and to get off brings on possible serious side effects.

Hey please stay with us and provide progress status reports. We are here for you, you may stumble again, we all have stumbled more then once but remember as long as you continue to drive to goal, goal being no drugs, you will succeed. And once your at goal you will begin to realize life really is good, you can function without drugs, you can have a lot of fun, the guilt is lifted, no more pill shopping, no more worrying about when to take the next pill, no more thoughts abut pills again. It really is lifting a great burden from your shoulders, you are soon to realize.

Let me know where I can help or if you have any other questions. Time would also be a very great source of info and help as he has more recently realized the freedom and wonderfulness of no drugs.

Sorry I was going to do a short post but I rambled.

phil

Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #24
    mike99

mike99 HB User
    Smile

Root, I see you've gotten plenty of good advice, so I'll make this quick.

Suboxone (check other threads for pros and cons - I personally have great praise for it, but get both sides of the coin) is now being legalally prescribed for "maintenance" use (i.e. - years of use if needed). It is an excellent medicine to detox off of other opiates, and also is listed in the PDR for use against "moderate to severe pain". I have had 7 back surgeries myself (fusions, laminectomies, and have a rod and cages in my lower back at L5-S1).

Type "suboxone" into a search engine, then find the manufacturer in the results. Their website has a "Physician Locator", and will list all the doctors in your state who have a license to prescribe the drug. I understand that many pain mgmt docs were given this license.

Good luck, and I will pray that God will guide your path during your search for freedom from adiction and pain.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #25
    varnua
    Inactive

varnua HB User
    Interesting study reported to Congress by
    Alan I. Leshner, Ph.D.
    Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse
    National Institutes of Health
    Department of Health and Human Services

June 7, 2001

Taken out of context:

"As I mentioned earlier, the same substance can be both a very effective medicine and a dangerous addictive drug. Morphine, is the perfect example. Morphine is a powerfully addictive drug. However, when it is used to treat pain it is an extremely beneficial medicine. The medical use of prescribed opiates effectively relieves both chronic and acute pain, and allows millions of individuals to function normally. Addiction under these circumstances is very rare. In fact, the combined data from three clinical studies found that in patients with no prior history of abuse, opiates used for the treatment of pain was associated with only 7 cases of addiction in a sample of about 25,000 people."

For full article: [url="http://www.drugabuse.gov/Testimony/6-7-01Testimony.html"]http://www.drugabuse.gov/Testimony/6-7-01Testimony.html[/url]

Hopefully this is within the guidelines. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:30 PM   #26
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Boy, I really want to thank you guys for being so kind. I thank you from my heart and I mean it. I feel like I can get back on track and stay there with you out there somewhere. Energy is all we are and its everywhere so I practice seeing you sitting next to me when I'm reading and typing. I have to get the RX filled tomorrow. It's called Relafen and the nurse said it is not addictive in any way. I'm back at 20 of the hydros and I'm a little scared to move down to 18 again right now because that's when everything blew up in my face the last time. I'm going to wait till I start the new pill and go slow. It's good to know that you guys went through this too. Jerri you are a good friend to be so nice and you don't even know me. And Phil you really helped me with what you said. I felt a little jealous, though, but not in a bad way, just I want to be where you are. I can only imagine how good you must feel not watching when the next pill is due. I know I can have that feeling too if I'm more careful. I appreciate you other two who wrote me too. I can't believe how many really good people there are here who take time to write and share all they know about this nasty thing. I don't think I have to switch to other drugs, I mean narcotics though. It seems the nurse thought I could eventually get by with the Relafen sometime. I thought a lot about what happened to me and I think I just got too cocky because I went down to the 20 just like that and I didn't have any wd so I think I thought I had it made. Even on 18 I wasn't hurting and I didn't have any wd but I just kept looking at the clock to see when was the next one I could take. This is crazy because I was okay. I was just so focused on the pills. And I still am, Phil, like you said about watching the clock and so on. Well, I know you all have a lot of things to do so I won't rattle on anymore. I just want to say thank you again and I really mean it from my heart. I'll be looking for more good words from you all and I'm saying some special prayers for you Jerri and Philster, not to slight anyone else though. So take care of yourselves and I will be back on tomorrow no matter what. I don't think I'll have any problem for a while but I have to watch so I don't get too sure of myself. Just one last thing, Jerri, I was touched in my heart when you said you were worried about me. I think that is the nicest thing someone can do for someone because it shows they really care even though we are miles away. Phil, you too. If you say prayers, then say some for me because I do for you and either way I'm sending you lots of positive energy. Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:27 AM   #27
    rlcowboy
    Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
    Exclamation

Hey I feel for ya, I just had a spinal fusion done 3 months ago, and if you are having all that pain with the back injury why dont you just take whats prescribed and no more, I did the same thing you did as far as taking to many but tappered down to the right amount, cause if you have to have another surgery dont you have to take pain med.Anyway Im telling you this, and I did it with Lortab 10s, you can go down to 5 a day with just some discomfort for like 2 days, I know it sounds like a big jump and it kinda is but you are killing your Liver!!! Just try taking a few every night around the same time, hey you will be good and ready for that dose when its time, believe me! but if you tapper down from around 18 or 20 a day it will take you forever to get off them and the longer you are on them, the worse the withdrawals will be!! I promise you that, you really need to go ahead and get down to like no more than 6 a day as fast as you can, and its not easy, no one on this board has had a easy time, you WILL hurt getting off these things there is no way around it!!so the faster you can level out to a good dosage and then tapper, the better off you will be, I mean I did the same thing with the same pills!!!

Old 07-16-2003, 04:43 AM   #28
    rlcowboy
    Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
    Question

Hey Root I was just thinking, it really sounds like you have some real chronic pain, I was wondering after you get back to your to your right dosage do you might really consider asking your Doctor for something with time release or did you say you allready had oxycontin?? If you do have the oxy prescribed to you then you can take that and stop the hydro with no problem, I'm just trying to figure out if you really need to stop your pain med with all your pain, If you gotta take it, just take it like you are suposed to and your doctor will help you get off when its time, but I know you need to cut down that 20 a day or 18 a day dosage cause its really gonna mess up your liver, and I also pray and will include you tonight. The power of prayer is stong my friend!! I dont mean to pry but do you pray yourself?

Old 07-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #29
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Root you late night owl. I'm so glad to hear from you. Hey when I tapered I did the something similar where I took to large a drop down and had to climb back up the ladder a bit to keep from being to sick, so it's very normal trust me. Your doing great, be strong and stay with it.

I have been saying prayers for you, I hope they start helping LOL. Well typically when you start reducing the amount of pills your taking you always seem to be able to take a big jump down but mathematically it's not as big a jump as it may seem. If you were taking 25 pills and got down to 20 then you have taken a 20% reduction. I can't remember if you immediately dropped from 25 to 20 or if you quickly stepped it down. Most time if you stay in the 5-10% range you will not stress yourself with withdrawal to badly. Going from 25 to 18 is about a 30% drop. I think you said you really havenít felt to much in the withdrawal area just clock watching, I know that feeling. You start stressing as the time gets closer for your next round of pills and your thinking will the withdrawals also attack me when I get close. Instead of dropping down to 18 by eliminating 2 pills you may want to just lengthen the time between pills which effectively does the same thing. Not sure if you take 5 pills every 6 hrs or 3.5 pills every 4 hrs but if you take close to 3.5 every 4 hrs then take 3.5 every 4.5 hrs for a few days, then 3.5 every 5 hrs for a few days then 3.5 every 5.5hrs then 3.5 every 6 hrs. By the time you are at 3.5 every 6 hrs you have basically reduced your daily pill intake to 14. Then take 2.5 pills every 4hrs, 2.5 every 4.5hrs, 2.5 every 5hrs, 2.5 every 5.5, 2.5 every 6hrs. Now you are at 10 pills per day. Then 1.5 every 4 hrs, 1.5 every 4.5hrs, etc.. When you get to 1.5 every 6hrs your now at 6 pills a day. Next step is 1 pill every 4 hrs. See how this slowly steps you down with time between doses.

What I found that hurt me the most was I was always very very impatient and trying to rush the process of de-tox. Take it slowly and you should be able to avoid the real bad withdrawals. Iím not saying you will not feel some level of discomfort, but remember like an athlete training for their specialty there is always pain associated with gain (soreness, exhaustion, throwing up, etcÖ) Also not sure what to say about the clock watching, it goes with the territory but when you are clear and free of the pills clock watching will stop without you realizing it, trust me. When I got close to the time of my next dose I would do anything to keep myself occupied, what I did most was walk the neighborhood, lap after lap after lap around the hood LOL People used to ask why I was doing so much walking and I just told them it was for my bad back, I was going through a rough time, they bought off on it. Hey Iím curious, am I talking to male or female? You can tell by my name Iím all male LOL

Take care and you are in my thoughts all day long and my prayers. Be strong, stay focused and thirst for your goal, you will be amply rewarded at the end!

phil

Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #30
    rlcowboy
    Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
    Talking

Hey root, I was taking around 10 to 15 a day a while back, but I would run out early untill my refill. Well that woke me up real fast because I went to withdrawal city, it was awful!! but believe me, your body will go one day and just give you alot of discomfort, the withdrawals usually dont really kick in untill day two off the pills, so I figured out that I could tapper way down by going as long as I could between dosages. I mean you will crave them all day but not to bad if you work or stay doing something. Then you can just take a few in the morning and a few at night! I totally agree that tappering is the way to go, you can go back and read some of my threads and I have talked about tappering alot. but cutting your dosage in half to say like 10 a day will not put you in withdrawals and I would just take that amount for like a week then loose a pill a day every week.remember your liver, thats a serious thing!!!!

Closed Thread