It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help With Quitting Hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #61
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi Phil and anyone else. Things are going so good. I do have a question for you though. I have been doing so good I was thinking of cutting back an extra pill today. I didn't do it and I stuck to what my doctor told me to do. But I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. Maybe I'll get myself in trouble this way? Well let me know what you think when you get a chance. I'm going to stick to the list my doctor gave me but I was wondering if anyone else knows something about this. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 AM   #62
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Hey Root I would recommend staying with the Dr's plan. If he has on a plan that gets you completely off then thatís a good plan. I think you said he is tapering you down too 0. I know you think you can go faster, but you eventually may pay with W/D. I went faster then planned and paid a price but I was in a hurry to get off the drugs and I knew that I had limited will power so I basically doubled the pace, of the W/D's hurt (not like CT but enough to be uncomfortable)

phil

Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 PM   #63
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Thank you for answering my question Phil. I really appreciate it. It's kind of what I thought but I thought it would be good to ask. I am sticking to the doctor's plan but if I think I'm not going to be strong enough to do it then I think I might do what you did and push it along a little bit. Right now I am doing fine and yes our goal is to go to 0. The next time I see him if I am still doing fine he said he will give me a pain medicine that doesn't get you hooked. He said we won't know for sure how good it will work but we won't know till I try it. He said there are a lot of them and we'll find the right one even if we have to mix more than one. So I am very glad and I can't wait till I can tell you and anyone else that I take none of the hydros. Keep saying prayers for me Phil and I do for you too.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:42 AM   #64
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Root, sounds great. Be careful that he doesn't put you on Ultram. Many doc's think this is a non addictive drug, and that would be oh so wrong. Ask many here about Ultram, with it's longer half life it is a bear ti get off from once your body gets used to it.

You're doing fantastic, stay with it and soon you will be a new man.

phil

Old 08-01-2003, 08:37 AM   #65
    pgildea316

pgildea316 HB User
    Question

I have a question concerning the withrawal symptom and if I am having them.. I have been taking vicodin ES for a foot injury, I have taken it upon myself to cut myself back on them. I really wasn't taking more than 2 a day really, just enough to take the pain away and sleep. Well I am taking one a day now and I have been getting really bad headaches and I am just in a bad mood all the time. I am not sure if it is from cutting back or not. Any answers would be greatly appreciated..Everybody hang in there and I am proud of all of you..

Old 08-01-2003, 10:14 PM   #66
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi Phil. I am always appreciating your kind advice. Don't worry, lol. I told my doctor no narcotics no way, lol. He is talking about a medicine that is like steroids but has some kind of fake steroid in it so you don't get all the problems you get with taking steroids. It is not addictive he says. So, I will see when the time comes. Thank you Phil for being a good friend.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:21 PM   #67
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi PG. I am not a good one to ask about these things because there are lots of smart people on here and I'm not one of them, lol. But I don't think you could have wds from only 2 pills each day. I am sure Phil will tell you but I was taking 25 to 40 hydros every day before I started to taper. I tried to do a cold turkey one time and I thought I was going to die. So I don't know if only 2 pills a day and then cutting to 1 pill a day would make you have wds. I don't think so. When I have a problem like what you are having I call my doctor. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask him about your headaches and stuff. I am glad to see you here and I know you will make lots of friends here. I will send you lots of positive energy and I hope you get your problem figured out.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 PM   #68
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User
    From Philster:
    [Hope you have a great head on those shoulders of yours. You are an angel, to us here and to your husband. Yo must love him dearly to have hung in there so long, I hope he understands what a God send you are.
    Be good, u r awesome]

Should I be jealous? I'm just joking of course but I do want to say that Hope is one unbelievable lady. We are working on our 16th year of marriage (we dated for 5 years before taking the plunge) and, obviously, it has not always been peaches and cream. However, if I could have one wish for all addicts, it would be that they have a spouse like mine that, when somehting like this (addiction) happens in our family, she learns everything she can about the subject and is truly heaven sent. I have no doubt that I would be long gone from this world by now if it wasn't for her. On top of that, she has these beautiful blue "bedroom" eyes, with blonde hair and a body to die for ... Just wanted to let you know that Hope is not all talk... she walks the walk... and I love her to death. Thanks again Philster.

Take care and God bless.

hopefortoday's husband a/k/a verylucky

[This message has been edited by AddictionMod (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 08-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #69
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Hope's husband,

No need to be jealous, I've been happily married for 27 years. Behind every good man is a great wife and all and I mean all my success is a result of her. I was blessed, no my job is not to screw it up lol

You my friend are on the right tract I pray that you as well as I continue down this road of goodness and never fall back to the dark side. It takes work, no doubt about it, like a good marriage, but it is time and effort that will be well rewarded.

Continued success and happiness to you and Hope

phil

Old 08-02-2003, 06:04 AM   #70
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    PG, if you have been taking 2 pills a day for more then 10 days your body has become used to the opiates (physically dependant) So when you cut down to 1 pill you have reduced by 50% so your body will react. What you are feeling could very well be W/D. You could probably stop taking the pills all together and the W/D would be more pronounced but not very bad at all, 3-5 days worth of a little bad But you could just cut back by 1/2 pill every 2-3 days and you probably would feel less W/D symptoms.

Just a thought

phil

Old 08-02-2003, 09:48 AM   #71
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    Thanks Phil. It is amazing how so many of us have some of the most amazing spouses. I hope those who read this that may be struggling in their respective relationships don't get offended or become resentful (althoug I might have a touch of resentment myself if I was one of those folks who don't have an understanding spouse and have lost relationships due to their disease -- to those people, I apologize).

Anyway, Phil, you are truly an assett to this board and I very much appreciate you insights. Keep posting!

verylucky a/k/a hopefortoday's husband

Old 08-04-2003, 03:43 AM   #72
    banjoboy

banjoboy HB User
    Some time ago I discovered my addiction to Codeine the hard way, I was in Hospital and they stopped it dead. I had been prescribed Codeine and Dihydrocodeine for over 10 years and although I kept within the max doses I was well and truly addicted.

The cold turkey was not that bad, about 5 days of sweats, headaches, irritable, can't keep still etc.

When it was over the medics explained many things about pain killers and Vicodin is like some others in that it contains Paracetamol, up to 750mg in the ES formulation. Now the recommended max dose of paracetamol is 4g in 24 hours and the "overdose" level is only 7g/day. Work out what 20-25 Vicodin tabs contain and you are into serious overdose.

Brian

[This message has been edited by AddictionMod (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 PM   #73
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi Brian and thank you for writing. This is a terrible thing and I get mad when I think about the doctors putting me on these things and then also mad at myself because I got carried away with them. I get happy when I read stuff from people like you because it helps me to know that I can do it too. I am sticking to the taper that the doctor gave me. Right now it isn't very hard and I want to go faster but I guess if I do I will probably end up back where I started. Like I told Phil though, if it seems like I want to go back then I'm going to try to cut down quicker. I guess that is all I can do right now. That and I hope God will help me too. When I finally don't take these hydros at all, I don't ever want to take a pill that is dope. I should have asked the doctor about it before I ever started. Well, I will stick to my guns and I am glad you are over it.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #74
    Gabbi

Gabbi HB User
    Hi,
    Please speak to a Dr. if you are even contemplating taking things into your own hands. As you can see looking at other posts people are in the same boat as you. Myself included. I came here without the intention of quitting but looking around and then I posted and poured out my story and it was the first time I said it out loud. This is a huge secret in my life, everyone thinks I'm perfect. And it really sunk in this has got to change. I am truly ready, and I am working on tapering or switching to suboxone. But I don't have pain issues. If the pain is unbearable for you, you may have to take them. Maybe speak to your dr, do you have a pain mgt. dr? Maybe taper down your dosage and not be in pain, but not be high? It all depends on what steps you are ready to take. Good luck.
    Gabbi

Old 08-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #75
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    I can't see what Svenska wrote, but I don't believe there in any thing like a hopeless person. When I came on this board I felt very down and hopelss and I believed I was a bad person. I can say from my heart that coming here and reading what people write sometimes makes me feel bad, like I'm not doing enough and that I'll never be like them and I can't do it. But a lot of the time I feel happy because there are people who have done what I'm trying to do and that means I can do it too. Even if it is hard, I can do it. I am so scared sometimes because I think what if I don't do it or what if I can't do it but I think that is the dope talking to me. I don't want to live the way I was and I think I can make the right choice and follow it. I am doing it but I'm not a success yet. When I tried to do a cold turkey it was very bad and then I felt like a failure and went on a binge. Now I am tapering and it isn't easy but I keep my eye on where I want to be and it is either taper or go to a treatment place where they will make me do a cold turkey. Now that I have my mind set it isn't so bad because I am taking the hydro a way a little bit at a time just the way I started taking it a little at a time. I will be sending you positive energy and the same to all my friends here. If you just try to do a little bit it will not be so hard and then you have to look at the end no matter how far away it is and think about how good you will feel. I don't know very much but I hope I helped you a little bit because every one has a right to live and we can't give our lives away over stupid pills.

Closed Thread