It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help With Quitting Hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Post Help With Quitting Hydrocodone

I am brand new to this site and I am a bit scared and a lot embarassed, but I hope someone can help me out. I have chronic pain related to chronic degenerative disc disease along with spinal stenosis in three areas. I just found out I need to have another back surgery but I haven't seen the surgeon yet to find out what they want to do and whether I will do it. Over the past couple months, I also have developed what I think is arthritis in my right shoulder, elbow, and knee.
    My situation is that the doctors started me on Vicodin and up the scale on that to Norco. I have been on the Norco since December of '02. The doctor started me on 11 or 12 a day, but I am embarassed to admit I have been going way over that for a couple of months. I am generally taking around 25 a day. I do have pain but I know I have crossed the line. I know about the potential damage to my liver and I am scared to death. I tried just stopping and I experienced such withdrawal I thought I would die. I've tried tapering, but I don't think I was really serious about it until now. I really want to go off of this drug completely but I don't know how much to taper off and how fast. I also have Oxycontin but I only took them once, probably because I didn't get that euphoric feeling. I am supposed to take 4 10 mg. oxycontins twice a day. What should I do? Should I taper off the hydrocodone or should I stop those and switch to the oxycontin and then taper off of those? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me out. I am scared and I don't want to live my life this way. Thanks for letting me tell my story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
    okieatheart
    Inactive

okieatheart HB User
    Talking

Your situation is definitely difficult! You have ALOT of medical problems.....but thats how most of us started out taking them also. I personally switched from hydros to oxys and thats when mine got totally out of control! (30-40 5mg aday) Since you will be having more surgeries I would discuss this with the doctor...come clean and I'm sure he can help.....or.....drop your intake of the hydros by 2-3 a day every few days and you shouldn't feel such bad w/d's if any.....Good Luck to ya and keep us posted!

Old 07-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Okie, thank you for your response. After reading your message, I am so glad that I didn't go on the oxy today like I planned. I have cut back on the hydro and I plan to follow your advice on this. I will also let my doc know what's up as I don't want to live dependent on drugs. I am grateful I found this board and I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to me. I feel better just sharing this "secret" and I feel safe here. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    hey okie, or anyone else who really has the time or cares, I wanted to let you know I'm down five a day from the time I first posted. I keep reading this board and I know it's no great shakes but I was at 25 a day and am down to 20. I'm still scared as hell but it helps knowing someone is out there who might be interested. Thanks again for your help. I'll post every now and then if nothing more than it makes me feel not so alone. send me some positive energy, anyone who has the time. thanks.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Root,That is great that you cut back by 5 pills!This will be harder on youcause you have cronic pain!But you need to try and get yourself down to what the Dr. says!I'm 34 days clean from vics.and percs.I have cronic lower back pain,and headaches from my neck.But I only take non narcotic drugs now!It just gets to out of controll For me!Keep on posting and keep up the good work!! Love ya..Jerri

Old 07-07-2003, 08:49 PM   #6
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Jeri, thanks for your reply. I am determined to get off all narcotics. I am sure there are strong non-narcotic medications that can do the trick--along with a change in attitude on my part. I have an appointment next Monday and I'm going to let him know my feelings and see what he thinks about how realistic it is to get off narcotics. I think he'll agree and he might be able to give me something that will help me to taper off and withdraw a little faster. I'm staying at the 20 for another day or two, then I'll cut down two more. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have you out there because I feel pretty alone with this most of the time. You are an inspiration to me because if you were able to do it, I believe I can too. Thank you so much for responding to me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
    PancreatitisJoe

PancreatitisJoe HB User
    I too,am on OXY- I take 60mg twicw a day, plusy PXY IR _ 10mg up to six pills a day for breakthrough pain. I have pancreatic cysts, I also, like you have gone over the line. My cousin showed me how to snort them (BIG MISTAKE) they DO 100% give me a euphoric feeling, and I go through ALOT of them. I have two doctors that give me 120 per month each, and I runout early EVERY time. I feel like a loser, but man o man are they good!! I have never been addicted to anything, but I think that these guys have gotten the hook in my bottomjaw and it ain't coming out. Butthe main question I have is how long does it take to become PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE?? I am sure that I am in trouble but I cannot go without them because ofthe pain, but I fearthat once the problem is dealt with I will still wantthe buzz!!! So you preferNorco over Oxy?? What is norco?? I have never heard of that before, what is it? Please explain. Thank You!!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Hi Joe,
    I have a bottle of oxy but I only took them once and they didn't seem to cut the pain the way Norco does. Norco is a combination of hydrocodone (similar to oxycodone/oxycontin) with tylenol. After reading your post and some of the others, I am so glad I didn't start the oxy. I think it might be different for each person as far as how long it takes to get addicted. I think it depends on the drug too. I am slowly tapering off the Norco and I am tempted to take more but I don't believe the buzz is worth how bad I feel about myself for taking more than I should. I actually shouldn't call it a buzz, because I can't say I really get any high from them. My pain goes away and I feel my body relax but that's about it. I have some pretty heavy-duty medical problems but I am determined to learn to handle them without narcotics. That's just for me, you have to choose whatever works for you. I am new at this and really working hard to get my life straightened out, but I'm sure there are people here who can help you out and tell you a lot more than I can. I will be rooting for you, whatever you decide. Hope this helps some.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:51 AM   #9
    Lieutenant Lorcet

Lieutenant Lorcet HB User
    In most people they become physically dependent on opiates in 10-14 days, but it really does vary quite a bit to each individual. If you ask me, the physical part is the easy part to get over, that lasts 3-5 days max for me. Its the mental part that really tries you.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 PM   #10
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Root,How are you doing?I'm glad that I can give you some support with this! It's a very scarry thing to go through!Make sure you let me know what the Dr.says on Monday!There are a lot of meds.that help you through the wds.And hopefully you have a Dr.that understands about them.Some dont have a clue what they get us into giving us all these meds! Your on the right path so keep going.And remember one day at a time! love ya..Jerri

Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #11
    Root
    Veteran

Root HB User
    Jerri, thanks a lot for being here for me. You don't know how much I appreciate it. I'm still at 20 and I'm going to try to cut back to 18 tomorrow. I do hope the doc will understand and can help me with the wd, but even if he's an ***, I'm not going to let that stop me. I know that where I'm at now is no big deal but I think I can do this if I do it slow. The last time I tried I just stopped and that was a bad move. I tried again another time and I tapered but I went too fast and then started a binge. I know you've been where I'm at, so you have to know how much it means to me to have you out there sending your energy. I'm reading a little black meditation book now and I know that God will help me if I help myself. I wish I didn't feel so scared but that will probably pass in time. I will definitely keep you posted and thank you, thank you for keeping me in your thoughts. It means a lot!

Old 07-09-2003, 06:48 AM   #12
    cjari

cjari HB User
    Same story as me~~~ took more hydrocodone than was prescribed. If you take it as prescribed you are "dependent" on the medication. If you take more than prescribed you are "abusing" it which will lead to "addiction". THAT's when it gets difficult to get off of it and most people need help!! I tried on my own with no success, and eventually had to get to methadone to get off of it. Some people think it is replacing one drug for another and maybe it is, but I don't have ANY cravings for ANY drug and my pain is maintained. I know lots of people have many misconceptions of methadone, but I would still be craving the hydro-codone and the oxycontins that I was also put on, if not for methadone. It allowed me to get on with my life without having the constant cravings and it got to the point that the pills were just keeping me from withdrawals. I finally got sick of being sick from the pills and not helping my pain.
    Cjari

Old 07-09-2003, 08:08 AM   #13
    SincerlyReallyStupid
    Inactive

SincerlyReallyStupid HB User
    Cjari--I am at that point of being tired of being tired. I'm on 15 hydros a day. That's only because I can't/couldn't find a way to get more. You know how that is. I read on here where some people are like on 30-40 pills a day and I wonder how in the world did they get to that point, because do you know how many a month that would be? Anyway, thank the lord I only have a 15 a day habit to kick. Today is day 1 and by now I would have already downed 7 to get up and right now my house looks terrible and I hate lookin around and seeing the mess. But oh well....it can't last 4-ever!

Old 07-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Root,Just checking in to make sure your still here!Every step you take is a big deal cause your on your way to recovery!Even just cutting back and maintaining at that level for a week or two your making good progress!And before you know it you'll be saying "WOW I DID IT"!!So dont let anybody or anything let you think your not doing good!I'll be here cheering you on my friend!! Love ya..Jerri

Old 07-09-2003, 10:01 PM   #15
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
    platinum, your story sounds familar...isnt it scary to the point of sickening what we would do for pills. I had a habit of around 40 Lortab 10mg a day. Thankfully, with the help of my family and this board, I have been clean for 2 months. too bad I lost a fiance, almost killed myself in an auto accident while high, and broke my mother's heart before getting serious and cleaning up. Not to mention the financial debt it can put you in. Scary.

Closed Thread