It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• AA vs. RR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2003, 12:20 PM   #16
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    Lane,
    Have you tried any "newcomer" groups? They worked really good for me at first.

Take care,
    verylucky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #17
    lane7eir
    Veteran
    (female)

lane7eir HB User
    exactly my thoughts too vl! i tend not to think of why that irritating person is rambling on and on and see that maybe there is a real reason for me to not leave or go smoke. patience is not one of my virtues either!!!! it funny the topic last week was on the lack of unity at my home group. since then, i have felt the lack of support and what jeffie is fighting with. i tend to apply the characteristics of one group to the whole. probably explains why it's taken me this long to get my act together and why i drank this past week.
    anyway, today, i'm heading to a womens meeting at 6:30 with my son. i really hope that there is a babysitter there as listed on the schedule. the group i currently go to has a lot of young people (under 30), unmarried, no kids, continual relapse rate with the same people, etc. so i'll see what's up.
    my afternoon has been up & down emotionally. one minute i feel all gung ho on my plan and the next guilty as all get out. there is so much i need to do after work, like clean the house, get to the grocery store, figure out what's for dinner. kinda want to do something special since it is our anniversary but since doofus spent all his $, why should i shell out the bucks for dinner as always? it is all about what i can get isn't it?!?! lol!

Old 09-25-2003, 01:09 PM   #18
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    Do something special for yourself Lane... it sounds like you've earned it. Good luck with the new group tonight.

Take care,
    verylucky

Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #19
    trinity714
    (male)

trinity714 HB User
    Hello again everyone! This is actually ******714...something has happened to my access and I have not been able to post for a couple of days. Additionally, I noticed that every time someone tried to write my username in their posts...it would get "starred" out. How shunned I felt! But even though the problem isn't worked out, and noone is really sure what happened, they have been gracious enough to let me re-register with a different username. But it's still old ******!
    I have been reading the posts daily, and have wanted to put in my thoughts and experiences about several issues, particularly the discussion about the pros/cons of AA/NA versus other recovery modalities.

But now it's getting late, I'm tired and have a busy day ahead of me, so I shall have to save my thoughts til tomorrow. But I did want to post and let everyone know that I haven't fallen off the deep end, I'm still here and plugging along. I know that ya'll were so worried....ha ha ha
    til tomorrow...

Old 09-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #20
    trinity714
    (male)

trinity714 HB User
    oops, I forgot that if my "old" username has been "starred" out in other's posts...it would be the same if I posted. I'll try this...my old username was spelled e-e-y-o-r-e. And another hint if THAT gets "starred" out...it's the self-deprecating, sarcastic old donkey from Winnie-the-Pooh. jeez, hope this computer glitch gets worked out soon as I'm confusing even myself!

Old 09-26-2003, 03:57 AM   #21
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User
    Welcome back E-e-y-o-r-e!! The board has missed your input and wisdome!!

Old 09-26-2003, 06:16 AM   #22
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    E-e-y-o-r-e,
    I like the new username. We have a dog named "Trinity". Everyone thinks the dog is named after a local high school that goes by the same name but actually "Trinity Caves" is a place Hope and I went scuba diving in the Cayman Islands 2 or 3 years B.K. (Before Kids).

Anyway, glad you are back and I look forward to your thoughts on the subject.

Take care,
    verylucky

Old 09-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #23
    Gabbi

Gabbi HB User
    E,

I'm so glad you explained that, I was starting to think I missed a ****joke or something!!!! LOL Take care!!
    GAbbi

Old 09-28-2003, 02:06 PM   #24
    stupidchris75

stupidchris75 HB User
    Wow, didn't realize there was so much resentment between AA and RR! My husband recovered successfully after ingesting only the "free" info on RR's website, and has been sober for almost 3 years. He had been in and out of AA for 15 years prior to that, and the longest he ever stayed sober was 6 months. So obviously, I'm a fan of RR. But I think that it's just different programs work for different people. It IS sort of mean to imply that all people who credit AA for their sobriety are "mindless sheep". Even IF that is what you believe, saying that to people who are staying sober through AA doesn't do anyone any good, right? Saying that to someone who is deciding between RR and AA is a different matter, but I don't think it is helpful or nice to knock someone who IS succeeding at a program that we don't agree with.

PS, I went to a couple of AA meetings, and I HATED them! The worst part for me was how they singled out the newcomer (I was always the newest one there.) The way they all chant little quips in unison and expect you to know what the hell they are doing, and then they make YOU, the new one, read some more chanting by yourself at the end, and they all start group chanting at certain points and you are caught by surprise everytime...it was just very creepy and unwelcoming to me. Again, just MY two cents!

Chris

Old 09-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #25
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User
    Chris . . . does your husband know about your current addiction? If so, has he asked you to get help through RR? Good luck to you in getting clean.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:56 PM   #26
    mycatsmom
    (female)

mycatsmom HB User
    Smile

I'm in total agreement with Chris. AA HAS helped a lot of people, I'm just not one of them.

One of the things I used to hate was that they'd always tell you that you don't HAVE to do ANYTHING in the program. But in the next breath they'd say that if you DON'T do all the things they tell you to do you'll definitely wind up drunk again, no doubt about it.

Another thing that bothered me is that I never bought the notion that alcoholism is a disease, despite what the "experts" say. I believe it's just a bad habit that you can choose to indulge in or not.

I spent years in AA & the longest I ever went w/o drinking was 1 yr, most of the time it was only a few weeks or months at most. In the 6 years since I left AA I haven't touched a drop & am very happy with my life.

The bottom line is, go with whatever works for you whether it's AA, RR, some other program, or just doing it on your own. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #27
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User
    Experts say alcoholism and addiction IS a disease.

1956: The American Medical Association declares alcoholism an illness.

[This message has been edited by Hopefortoday (edited 09-28-2003).]

Old 09-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #28
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    Alcohol and drugs are a "bad habit" for those people who don't have a genetic predisposition to the disease. I've had many friends over the years that I did all kinds of drugs with. The majority of those folks just quit and didn't have any problems.

However, there have been a few of us that have run into problems of various sorts with drugs and alcohol. For those of us who had a problem, our family trees were invariably dotted with alcoholics/addicts.

There have been numerous studies on twins who have been separated at birth and raised in very different environments but, due to the fact they had a genetic predispotion, they developed a problem with drugs and/or alcohol. The studies are very easy to find on the Internet and are really fascinating if you look at them in detail.

In addition, there have been numerous cadaver studies performed which show people who suffered with alcoholism/addiction during their lifetime had a chemical in their brain that was not found in the brains of "normal" folks. The name of the chemical is about a foot long but I think it is called "THQ" for short. If anyone knows the name of the chemical, I'd appreciate it if they passed it on.

There are a lot of things I have serious doubts about, but I have no doubt that alcoholism/addiction is a disease.

As far as you folks that have had negative experiences with AA meetings, I know where you are coming from -- I absolutely hated going to the meetings at first and I felt it was cultish and cliquesh. But, after numerous relapses, I couldn't find any other way that would keep me clean so I went to a ton of meetings until I found ones where I "fit in" and felt comfortable.

I still don't like going to meetings sometimes but I have NEVER relapsed while in the middle of working a good program... I've ALWAYS relapsed when I was doing what I wanted to do instead of doing what I was taught to do in treatment.

Someone above said that you have to believe in God to be accepted in AA. That hasn't been my experience at all. When I went to my very first meeting, I was an atheist and I was accepted but was asked to believe that there was something in the world more powerful than me. That wasn't a difficult concept to grasp. Over time, I came to believe in Christ and, last weekend, I went on an Emmaus walk. However, my spiritual side, for the most part, is nurtured by things apart from AA/NA.

As to the big issue, it doesn't matter to me what program anyone uses, or if they use none at all, as long as they stay clean. In my experience, I haven't seen very many true alcoholics/addicts stay clean for extended periods of time who were not working some sort of 12 step program.

Sorry so long. Take care,
    verylucky

Old 09-29-2003, 05:54 AM   #29
    verylucky
    Veteran

verylucky HB User
    For those of you that are still debating whether addiction is a disease or not, please go to the following website and check it out:
    [url="http://www.addictiondoctor.com"]www.addictiondoctor.com[/url]

Pleae pay particular attention to the "Ask Dr. **** questions" link.

I'd love to know anyone's thoughts after looking at the website.

Take care,
    verylucky

{website approved by AddictionMod}

Old 09-29-2003, 06:38 AM   #30
    Monday1954
    Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
    Very Lucky, I went to the site you posted, it has some very interesting points. Thanks for posting it.

Closed Thread