It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Quitting marijuana advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
    x420Nath

x420Nath HB User
    Post Quitting marijuana advice

I've been smoking marijuana for probably 5 years. I Just started my first year at university and I really want to stop. I've been smoking marijuana 3 to 5 times a day for at least 3 years.

I've been under a lot of stress lately with work, school and my house life and I've been feeling really depressed. In the last week I've started smoking ciggs again after 12 months off of the ciggarettes, Which is causeing friction between me and my girlfriend. I've always put a small bit of tobacco in my joints (perhaps as a substitute for actual ciggarettes) and I'm sure thats what triggered my ciggarette smoking relapse. I did stupidly use marijuana (with a small amount of tobacco) as a stop smoking tool. I'm sure it just reinforced my marijuana habit. And i'm smoking again anyways

I've been reading about quitting marijuana (which is my priority now) and its always stressed how important it is to disascociate with your stoner friends. Well its my family, my brothers, my sister and even my parents. Its so hard to get away from it. I come home from work or school to the smell of burning marijuana every day. Thats what will make it especially hard for me because i know my family wants me to be happy but they aren't going to change their ways for me. I live right across the street from the university, I don't want to move out on my own again because i won't be able to afford to live and tuition.

Please any Advice or insight would be appreciated.

Nathan

Nathan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
    spondylo

spondylo HB User
    Nathan,
    I don't know what I can offer in the way of encouragement except to say that I quit smoking marjuana (along with many other drugs and cigarettes) over 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

How times have changed! I was rejected by my parents and sent to a detention home for smoking marjuana and here your parents are smoking and you want to quit!

I say, "Good for You!" I don't know if you are religious or not, but it was at that point in my life that I asked Jesus to take control and help me overcome my bad habits. He not only helped me in this area, but it was the beginning of a lifelong friendship with my Creator that continues to deepen until this day.

I know this may turn some people off, but this is where I found my strength.

Kindest Regards

Old 12-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
    sine

sine HB User
    Re: Quitting marijuana advice

What's up folks, I'm new here.

Well, Nate, I'm afraid I can't really level with you on your family smoking around you, but I live in a house with 5 other friends, really good friends, all of whom smoke pot.

I tried and tried and tried to quit for months. Nothing ever worked. I came home from work and there was that smell again. I tried to stop buying it, which was no problem, but my friends all just smoke me out anyway.

So I decided to start meditating. I've been meditating when I get up and before bed for about 6 months now and the calrity of mind and body that it brings are truley AMAZING. I started at 10 minutes per session. I set an alarm clock before I meditate and just come out when the alarm goes off. Eventually 10 minutes seemed too short, so I moved up to 15. When that became too short I moved up to 20, which is where I'm at now.

After I started meditating I started realizing a LOT of things about my life. I held my guitar too tight, I held my pens too tight. I quit smoking cigarettes (I only smoked them occasionally anyway). But pot was hard. I finally, very recently managed to kick the habbit with the help of medtation and the promise of a new, more motivated and clear-headed life style.

Now when you do end up quitting, withdrawals will set in. These are not fun by any means but I have figured out how to supress most of the worst effects. This works for me, anyway. Take a multi-vitamin in the morning after breakfast. Then drink green tea ALL day. Seriously, green tea is GREAT. It's got just enough caffeine to pick you up from depression and a lot of vitamin B to keep your mind straight. Then, for sleeping, I take half of a melotonin pill right before my bedtime meditation. You can get melotonin from any health food store. Some people say that melotonin makes them feel too groggy in the morning, but honestly I think it still feels better than how I feel after smoking 3 bowls the previous night. It should take about a week to be weaned off the melotonin. Everyone's different, of course.

But I can't stress meditation enough. Even if you're all burnt after smoking at night and don't feel like doing ANYTHING but going to sleep, meditate. Just do it. It's only 10 minutes. Same with the mornings. You will find yourself taking care of yourself. You find yourself carring as much for yourself as you would about your girlfriend, or your pet, or your mother. Meditation, at least for me, was a LARGE step in the direction of self-realization. And honestly, isn't it a lack of caring for the self that got us ALL in this mess to begin with?

Old 12-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    Re: Quitting marijuana advice

Hi!

That is a difficult situation for you being that your parents smoke marijuana! But, I would go to them and tell them that you are wanting to quit and it is very important to you and ask them to please refrain from smoking around you. I would think any parent would want to help their child~ surely they would recongize your wishes and try to help you. It is not like you are asking them to quit, just help you quit! Maybe you could end up being a influence on them and they would eventually quit. I think you are making a very wise decision and I wish the very best for you. I, too, am a believer in the power of prayer...pray for strength and you will find out how strong and determined you can really be if you put your mind to it and ask God for help! Hang in there and happy holidays,

Michelle

Closed Thread