It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• post-xanax withdrawal... how long in system?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
    hellokristi

hellokristi HB User
    post-xanax withdrawal... how long in system?

i started taking xanax in august of this year. i was on 1mg a day for about 2 months. i was experiencing major withdrawal symptoms prior to each day's dose and could not function at my normal pace at work or home. i took medical leave for a few weeks to get on a tapering schedule. my doctor did not want me to stop taking the xanax, but i hated what it was doing to me. he finally put me on a tapering schedule that went from 1mg a day for 2 weeks to .5mg for 2 weeks and then off. although he is the doctor, i felt like the jump from .5mg to nothing was going to be abrupt. i instead tapered myself by taking 1mg (.5 in the am .5 in the pm) for a week, .5mg for a week, .25 mg a week, 1/8 a pill for a week and then went completely off the xanax. today i am on day 6 of my complete withdrawal. i feel better than i did while on the medication. i still feel a little "out of it" from time to time, but nothing like the ice cream headache, nervous tics and complete lack of focus and thinking i had when i would withdrawal before each dose as i built up a tolerance while on the meds.

does anyone know how long xanax might stay in my system given how long i was on the medication? i was not on it very long, but i don't know much about how long i might experience withdrawal symptoms. i am wondering how long i can wait to resume drinking alcohol again as well. i still feel a little like i dont have perception of time and on occasion i get that feeling i had while on the xanax... like i dont care about anything... i just kind of float through the day. it is not as intense of a sensation as it was while on the medication daily, but i do have occasions where i feel a little cloudy and it is hard to focus on one task. but this feeling is still better than the complete mindlock i had while i on xanax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #2
    HaHaHa

HaHaHa HB User
    Consider yourself very lucky. I took them for a long time and self medicated up to 15 1mgs a day. Yes...that many. I even thought I was functioning. The last dose around 8 or 10 at night was so very close to lethal I have no clue as to why I am still living here. When I was detoxed off, in 6 days, (I was in the hospital when this happened, btw--monitored every 15 mins.and given klonopin 3X's a day)it took me well over a year to regain myself. I could barely make a sentence. I sat mostly around my house in a fog. No feelings about anything really. Sick....very sick (mentally) So- you have just saved yourself from the depths of benzo depression to put it kindly. It is my understanding that the use of Xanax should be limited to 2 weeks, at the most, after that, you begin to feed your body the amt. that it has begun to crave, nothin more, no benifits, no nothing...but addiction. Those are my feelings and yes they are biased, if it were left up to me, that particular medication would be banned from ever being used again.

Closed Thread