It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Withdrawal problems from Marijuana

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User
    Withdrawal problems from Marijuana

Hello, I just wanted to get some feedback on anyone who might of been in my shoes or still is?

I have been smoking marijuana really havily for the past 3 1/2 years.. started when i was 15 and now im 5 months away from my 19th birthday.. It came to the point (1 1/2 years ago) where I would smoke every single day, 2-3 times a day.. I would like it, no problems or anything, but about 4-5 months ago, If I would smoke a really THC potent bag of pot, I would get anxiety and even panic attacks, never happend to me prior to that.. So about 1 1/2 weeks ago I decided to quit and Haven't put a joint in my mouth since then.. But my problem now is I get anxiety alot, it HAS infact went down a bit, and my anxiety isnt really the case, it hasne't been for the past 2-3 days but now its more of a feeling of being in a 'dream state' of mind, like kind of feeling out of 'sync..

I just wanted to know if anyone can relate to this and if it is a marijuana withdrawal problem?

(I posted this on the panic disorder boards but just wanted to get some more feedback)

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User
    Re: Withdrawal problems from Marijuana

Anyone? =)

Old 11-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Researched cannabis psychosis?

Old 11-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yinksy
    Researched cannabis psychosis?
    I did after you posted this and I do not have any of the symptoms.. I can perform tasks with no problems, social life is fine, everyting id fine I just feel constantly out of sync...

Old 11-25-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
    rockingham

rockingham HB User

im an addict. i smoked marijuana for 10 years. hard. i smoked in the morning. in the afternoon. and the night. dont be afraid to admit that you got so high you actually got a little scared. it happened to me plenty of times but deep down i knew marijuana could never hurt me. i was able to calm myself slowly and surely every time but i was nervous and panicky. taking deep even breaths would help cool my fear. whenever i sensed that i was getting extremely high i would just stop smoking and pass the joint. i never admitted this nervousness to my friends because i wouldnt have been cool. remember, you smoked a lot of marijuana over a long period of time. it has only been a few weeks since you have stopped. i understand you dont feel right but you must realize it took you more than 3 years to know it was time to stop. feeling like your old self will take longer than 3 weeks. just give it time bro. it will happen. i promise you will feel like you again.

Last edited by rockingham; 11-25-2003 at 06:19 PM.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockingham

im an addict. i smoked marijuana for 10 years. hard. i smoked in the morning. in the afternoon. and the night. dont be afraid to admit that you got so high you actually got a little scared. it happened to me plenty of times but deep down i knew marijuana could never hurt me. i was able to calm myself slowly and surely every time but i was nervous and panicky. taking deep even breaths would help cool my fear. whenever i sensed that i was getting extremely high i would just stop smoking and pass the joint. i never admitted this nervousness to my friends because i wouldnt have been cool. remember, you smoked a lot of marijuana over a long period of time. it has only been a few weeks since you have stopped. i understand you dont feel right but you must realize it took you more than 3 years to know it was time to stop. feeling like your old self will take longer than 3 weeks. just give it time bro. it will happen. i promise you will feel like you again.
    Thanks for the reply man, you have no idea how much your words aid me at my really wierd point of time =)

Old 11-26-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
    lance77

lance77 HB User

I smoked pot daily for years and when I quit I remember walking around feeling like I smoked a bunch of crappy weed. All the bad side effects without the high. Tired, cloudy, like my head was full of goo. Out of sync is an apt description. It went away and my head cleared up. That was fourteen years ago. I've been sober since and I've replaced that high with the satisfaction of getting ***** done. I know how that sounds kinda trite, but I'm serious it's much better. Weed was a real ambition sucker for me. I had plenty of ambitous thoughts and ideas but I never did anything about it until my head cleared. Yours will clear, and it's pretty sweet. Give it a chance, I think you'll like it.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:38 AM   #8
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

I had a similar experience-when i was 19 i stopped smoking cos i started getting really bad panic/debilitating..one day i flipped out in front of my family-ripped my clothes off and started crawling around the floor/my mom called a neighbor who was a dr. and she calmed me down after about 2 hrs of flippin' i came down and didn't smoke another joint for 8 yrs.
    I remember feeling outta sorts for a month or two..like you described dream-like state..not quite on the planet..then i felt totally together and spent the next 8 yrs drug-free!!!
    You my dear- are gonna be A-O-K.
    Don't fear..the best is yet to come.
    Heather

Old 11-27-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
    imthatguy

imthatguy HB User

Sam420- I had the same thing happen to me with the panic/anxiety. Heavy marijuana use, over a long period of time will make some people anxious/panicky. That is what happened to me. I was a very heavy smoker. My friends and I used to smoke bowls every hour. On average, I was going through an 8th a day sometimes. What you are going through is perfectly normal. It is just your body cleaning out all the THC and other chemicals in pot. Withdrawls from pot are very mild(for the most part) but last longer than most other withdrawls from drugs.
    I have recently been diagnosed with a panic/anxiety disorder, which I always kinda had ever since I was little. For a long time, pot helped calm me down. I just got too carried away with it. I still smoke pot to this day, but it is only maybe 1 or 2 times a week. I believe that smoking pot on occasion is perfectly fine, and a lot better than taking the pills, or drinking, or even smoking cigarettes. The key is moderation though. Now that I have cut waaaay down, pot gives me that calming effect again. I only take a few hits at a time, and it helps me immensly, almost better than my xanax. Anyway, you made the right choice in cutting down or stopping. When I quit though(the last time anyways) I didn't do it cold turkey. I have before, but found it was easier on my mind to just cut back first. I just started taking a hit here and there, then just a hit at night, then nothing and I didn't feel wierd at all. I gave my body a break from it for about 2 months, and now I smoke on occasion like I mentioned above. I do have a pill problem, and boy does pot help me get past some of those cravings. Pot is now just pretty much a social thing for me now. Some people drink socially. I smoke pot. Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. You will be totally fine though. Best of luck with everything, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have done a whole lot of reading and studying about marijuana. I also have lots of experience with it, as Im sure a bunch of us do. Oh, and if you were ever to think about smoking again, Id go with an indica dominant strain, as they are known(and bred) for their relaxing and non-paranoid nature. Happy Thanksgiving!

-Imthatguy

Old 11-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #10
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Thanks a tonfor the replys guys, It is great to know that i am not the only one with this problem.

I will stop the smoking until this derealization problem goes away, I just hope it doesnt take too long. then again I have been constantly smoking for 3 1/2 years so I guess its only natural for my body to have these withdrawal effects once I have stopped cold turkey (2 weeks ago)

Last edited by Sam420; 11-27-2003 at 12:46 PM.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Oh by the way, Imthatguy, is indica better known as Regulars? or Regs? cause im pretty sure the pot that began to give me panic attacks WHILE I was high and then eventually led to derealization as a withdrawal symptom was Hydro, which is very rich in THC.. and I was smoking Nothing but Hydro and Haze

Old 11-28-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Oh by the way, The last time I went to the doc (like 3-4 days after i stopped smoking pot) he recommended that he put me on a multivitimain session once a week for a month, which included b complex, a, c, etc.. through an IV cord, he said that this would help me relax, and also proscribed a herbal drug called valarien or something like that, non proscription, anyone have any experience with this?

Old 11-30-2003, 12:08 AM   #13
    StitchCarver
    (male)

StitchCarver HB User

I had a similar experience. I smoked hard for two years, by the end I started getting really bad anxiety and even panic attacks when I'd get really high. Have you messed with any other drugs like ex or speed? Sometimes the mixture is bad. If you've got anxiety problems those drugs can bring them out and worsen them. Alot of the time people smoke weed as a symptom of a problem. Not to scare you, everybody's different. Sometimes it's just the weed, and you're body is saying it's had enough. Search internet for marijuana and anxiety. It sounds like you haven't had problems with anxiety for a few days, and that's good. I don't know about the feeling out of sync, and whether it's withdrawal. Give it time. If you continue having anxiety, don't be scared, come back to these boards and talk about it, and then you can go from there.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #14
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

Heya thanks for the reply.. I did do X. did it once in my life which was about 2 years ago, but never had any problems from it and didnt have any problems from the high from it.. That was the only drug i ever did other then pot..

My dp/dr is hasn't gotten away, this is day 15 now that I have stopped smoking weed. I dont really get scared of my dr anymore but i had a pretty bad dp experience today, I usually do not get dp, its dr alot.. But I had dp while eating chinese food with 2 good friends, a place right down the street from my house, good settings, np.. I always stay optomistic but deep inside I feel like this disorder will plaque me for a long time.. although I have managed to fear it alot less in the past few days, and I even began to get decent sleep considering I would wake up ever 2-3 hours the first few days off of pot, but now it seems the weed symtomps are rubbing off, I am a bit more ambitous, I am not as groggy as I was the 3rd-12th day of stopping pot, now the final bout is between me and my dp. and I WILL win, but it is taking cheap shots at me by causing me to fear it, and I know that it feeds off of fear.. God, life can really suck somtimes, eh?

Old 11-30-2003, 09:58 PM   #15
    StitchCarver
    (male)

StitchCarver HB User

Just to be clear, dp is depression and dr is distorted reality? I'm not sure. Either way, it's day 15 and at least you're keeping optimistic. I won't preech, but for me, weed all the time, just clouded my mind. I work creatively, and I know that the stuff I come up with now, as opposed to when I was high all the time, is 1000 times better. So maybe you're better off. I do smoke now and again, but it's not the same, it's never the same.

Closed Thread