It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Bupronex for Heroin Withdrawal Treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
    Davidps

Davidps HB User
    Exclamation Bupronex for Heroin Withdrawal Treatment

Recently went through a two week treatment for heroin withdrawal using Bupronex at a VA hospital. It had no effect and it was like going cold turkey. I would not recommend it to anyone who has a real heroin habit. I wished they had used a blind methadone detox or even darvon rather than Bupronex. It was administered every 8 hours over a three day period for a total of 24 injections tapering from 3 to 1 mg over the three day period. It was pure hell!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User
    Re: Bupronex for Heroin Withdrawal Treatment

Hi David
    I was interested in your story-cos i had a screaming heroin habit for 2 yrs. no breaks and did a in-patient bupe detox and didn't feel any w/ds.
    What happened?Altho i have heard some people don't respond well-i guess thats what happened to you.
    Methadone is a good detox.Darvon(you gotta take tons).
    Hope you are ok!
    Heather

Old 12-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

i was addicted to heroin/pain med's-any opiates...started buprenex in 1998...found a outpatient clinic in fla that used buprenex for opiate addiction...i was in program until last summer....i would most likely still be in the system but started back on methadone for the pain issues with my back,since bupe has a ceiling effect....one bad thing about my involvement with the buprenex program is they had me on a benzo also and sleeping med,because of the side effects of buprenex i was having...one time i ran short of my script and had a drug physcosis by only having the benzo/barb in my system..it was ugly...i had success with the buprenex cause i was on it long term.....i could function w/o opiates however buprenex is a low class opiate anyways and yes i had w/d's also whenever i didnt use my bupe...it worked immediately for me...upon ceasing to use any opiates for a 24hr.period...took away my opiate w/d's cause i was right back on a opiate....i also tried the subutex couple mths back and it would have worked also except i did not w/d enough off the methadone....i believe in bupenorphine if it is used for maintance ....for a two week dtox wouldnt matter...cause you wish to be opiate free in two weeks and will have w/d's no matter what...anytime we quit an opiate we will have w/d's....chef

Old 12-07-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
    Davidps

Davidps HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sadsister
    Hi David
    I was interested in your story-cos i had a screaming heroin habit for 2 yrs. no breaks and did a in-patient bupe detox and didn't feel any w/ds.
    What happened?Altho i have heard some people don't respond well-i guess thats what happened to you.
    Methadone is a good detox.Darvon(you gotta take tons).
    Hope you are ok!
    Heather
    Thank you for your concern Heather. I am okay! I relapsed after 10-years being clean and sober. I had surgery in March and the doctor discharged me with Lortab 7.5 with plenty of refills. When he finally said no more, I found myself looking for a connection and went on a 7-month run of 2 grams a day. I just had another surgery on 12/2/03 and this time I informed the doctor of my problem with opiates. Surgery was done with a local and no narcotics. I am presently recovering from that and back into 12-step meetings daily. I don't want relapse to ever happen again. I enjoyed being clean and sober too much. I even obtained my BA and master's degrees while I was clean. So I get the stitches out Tuesday, 12/9, and the results of the biopsy. If it turns out it is the big 'C' word, I and my higher power will deal with it without any opiates. Thanks again for your concern!

Old 12-07-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
    Davidps

Davidps HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chefob1
    i was addicted to heroin/pain med's-any opiates...started buprenex in 1998...found a outpatient clinic in fla that used buprenex for opiate addiction...i was in program until last summer....i would most likely still be in the system but started back on methadone for the pain issues with my back,since bupe has a ceiling effect....one bad thing about my involvement with the buprenex program is they had me on a benzo also and sleeping med,because of the side effects of buprenex i was having...one time i ran short of my script and had a drug physcosis by only having the benzo/barb in my system..it was ugly...i had success with the buprenex cause i was on it long term.....i could function w/o opiates however buprenex is a low class opiate anyways and yes i had w/d's also whenever i didnt use my bupe...it worked immediately for me...upon ceasing to use any opiates for a 24hr.period...took away my opiate w/d's cause i was right back on a opiate....i also tried the subutex couple mths back and it would have worked also except i did not w/d enough off the methadone....i believe in bupenorphine if it is used for maintance ....for a two week dtox wouldnt matter...cause you wish to be opiate free in two weeks and will have w/d's no matter what...anytime we quit an opiate we will have w/d's....chef
    Thanks for relating your experience Chef. At the time of treatment, there were six heroin addicts on the Bupronex. None of them experienced any effect. The medical staff was going to conduct an investigation because they thought that maybe they got a bad batch or someone tampered with it. They were going to have the pharmacy conduct an investigation because we were all complaining so much and experiencing cramps, nausea, vomiting, chills, etc. I realize that there is going to always be withdrawal effects, but this was the same effect as "cold turkey" that I have experienced in the past. The good part is that I am back in 12-step meetings, group therapy with Vietnam Vets, and back on the road to recovery with no opiates. Thanks again for your concern.

Closed Thread