It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Withdrawls from Suboxone Vs Hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
    Happy Father
    Inactive

Happy Father HB User
    Withdrawls from Suboxone Vs Hydrocodone

Hey Guys,

Big Time question here..........Spark said that you get withdrawls from Suboxone and they can be worse then WD's from Hydro?. So I am considering Suboxone and have a list of Doc's to talk to. However if I'm just going from One Opiate to the Other and I'll have to Pay the Piper maybe Cold Turkey is the way?.

I am getting confused because some of ya are saying this is a lifesavor and some are going the other way. I know getting off the Hydro is First, and the ramifications of the Tylenol are horrid. So now what? stay on the Suboxone and Tapper down to Mild WD's?.................Any help?!.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User
    Re: Withdrawls from Suboxone Vs Hydrocodone

sparkster is right..you get w/d's when you wish to get off subox...you must wean real slow,taper if you wish...i got w/d's all the time...got cook,be back....chef

Old 12-09-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
    Happy Father
    Inactive

Happy Father HB User

Don't Burn the Food!..............Wow does everyone realize this?.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chefob1
    sparkster is right..you get w/d's when you wish to get off subox...you must wean real slow,taper if you wish...i got w/d's all the time...got cook,be back....chef

Old 12-09-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Frank,

I did not know this when I first got on the sub (ofcourse I do now)~ that is one of the main reasons I got on it. I thought you just "skipped over" withdrawals. I thought I would just take it awhile and slowly taper off and live happily ever after! That is why I think I am craving so bad~ I am taking such a low dose (for my habit) so it will be easier to get off. If I had it to do over, I may would have tried to taper again. I feel like I have traded on drug for another, but I am not lying to my family, wasting tons of money, doc-shopping, ruining my liver, etc. It has its good points! You can also accept that you will be on sub for life, but I don't want to be. It's a trade off to a certain degree but with alot of benefits~ ya know? Anyway, good luck with your decision. The most important thing is to STOP no matter how you do it! Take care,

Michelle

Old 12-09-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

happy dad,yes you will get the w/ds from suboxone no matter how slow you taper but im not knockin the suboxone cause it has helped me.if you follow the program to a tee and not use at all while on sub this will help alot but i can promise you w/ds from suboxone no matter how you taper down.the only person i know of that has gotten off suboxone is my girlfriend and she had a hydro habbit of about8-10 per day and she was on suboxone for only 30days and no longer.there is noone on the board that has successfully gotten off suboxone that i know of and all that have tried it have relapsed or went beggin back to there doc for more suboxone.a girl named stacyvictor was the first to get on suboxone here and she tapered over months and when she quit takin sub she said it was the worst he** she had ever been thru and she has used herion and all pills and she said sub/bup was the worst w/d she had ever been thru cause it lasts so long and seems to never go away and this is why so many relapse.if ya can take it for the rest of your life it is the perfect pill but stacy called the maker of suboxone and they told her that once you start sub that you are to take it for the rest of your life and never taper offf it.i can vouch for her on the w/ds cause i went 3days with no suboxone and it was rough and kept gettin worse.i guess if i had it to do over i would go to my dr and ask him for the meds to detox cold turkey and git it over with-spark

Old 12-09-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
    rudder

rudder HB User

Hi-

Doc took me off sub way too fast.(8mg to 0 in 2 weeks) Not my choice. I was not able to get out of bed for days. I would rather have had Hydro C/T W/D's than the way I felt. Ended up back on Hydro for a few weeks till I could get another sub doc. Back on sub now & will taper at my own rate this time. No more pills of any kind!! I do miss that first high/rush to be honest. Just got to figure out how to live w/o it.

Hi to Spark & Rockingham

Best Regards,
    Rudder

Old 12-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
    Mckloud1

Mckloud1 HB User

Wow same here with the wd's off sub. I was taking it for 1 month and then I thought I was fine until one day later wough, it was terrible yeah worse than from cold turkey from the percocet and hydro. finally I got my Sub replenished from my doctor. Can anybody share their withdrawl symptoms with me, I want to know if they were simialar to mine, thanks Good luck to all

Old 12-09-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
    nomorepills
    Inactive

nomorepills HB User

I would suggest....
    Soma 350mg for relaxation (non narcotic) when ever you need to relax
    Ambien 10mg for sleep 1-2 a night
    Ibuprofen 800 mg for pain

I suggest these because they are all non addictive...physically. Anyone can be addicted to a buzz, dont get me wrong.
    I experienced withdrawls, not as excrutiating as before when I detoxed with nothing. Think about it, do you really want to be on that "sub" stuff for the rest of your life? I wouldnt. Taking those pills would just give me a daily reminder of the pills that I REALLY want. You dont want to have to detox all over again, tapering or not. If a chemical has been in your system for a certain amount of time and then you "taper off" you will still experience withdrawls. You still have to experience the initial shock of it not being in your system...no matter how little the amount was that you were putting in.
    I hope this helps. Keep us all posted on how you are.
    Take Care
    Amanda

Old 12-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #9
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

chef where are ya my friend,jump in here and tell us how it is cause you were on the sub/bup for 4yrs and longer than all i know so set us all straight on the sub/bup withdrawal thing.also do you think that after a person has been on sub for several months that after you are off it for awhile that you have the same feelings off opiates as before.i dont think the opiates work like they once did before a person started takin sub but i might be wrong.back in july i used on the sub and didnt take any sub for about 11 days and still could not get a buzz off 400mg oxycontin-spark

Old 12-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
    Bodymechanic
    Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

The most important thing you need to know about detoxing with suboxone is to get off quick. One week at most. If you use it for only one week, it is miracle drug. If you go any longer than a week, you will definately be trading on addiction for another. I am a suboxone basher but the truth be told, I have gone down from 16mg to 6mg over 3 months time. The first cut was from 16mg to 8mg a 50% reduction. If I had made that big of a reduction with any other drug, I would have suffered. On suboxone I felt nothing. I had the same experience when I went from 8mg to 6mg, I felt nothing. I don't know if it will get harder as I decrease the dose. I plan to go slower as I go lower. I expect the whole process will take up to one year.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i agree with you mechanic as the longer you are on it the more it gets in the bones and marrow and cells just like any opiate and it lasts so much longer than oxy or hydro w/ds.-spark

Old 12-09-2003, 07:56 PM   #12
    froggirl

froggirl HB User

Ok, I have a pretty stupid question , but what is sub? I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I just have never heard of it. Is it a benzo? An opiate to help you step down? I went to my addictionalogist, and he didn't mention it. He just has me on Chlorpromazine and Lorazepam. Anyway, just curious. If someone could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Happy Father, you hang in there! We are all pulling for you! You can do it.

Kel

Old 12-09-2003, 08:07 PM   #13
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

"Sub" is subutex or suboxene that is an opiate based drug that enables someone to sidestep withdrawals when abruptly stopping other opiates (hydro's, oxy's. etc). It is a fairly new drug and I think, in my opinion, was a little misunderstood. I got on the sub thinking I would take this awhile, bypass all the withdrawals, and eventually come off of this with no problems. There have been alot more posts here lately about how hard it is to come off the sub. Alot of us are feeling we have traded one addiction for another. Granted, we aren't destroying our liver, are medically supervised, and under a doctor's care to get clean, but it has been a little disappointing to some of us to find out how hard it is going to be to get off this. Someone else may step in and explain or add some other info, but I hope that helps you understand a little.

Michelle

Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #14
    froggirl

froggirl HB User

Thanks, Michelle! Always the voice of reason, you are. I have noticed a lot of people on here takling about "sub". I know the feeling you are talking about, trading one addiction for another. That is the reason that I didn't want to step down using valium or xanax. I get addicted to things VERY easily! Sometimes it seems like Dr's don't have our best interest at heart, you know? they barely listen to your symptoms, and if you are a young person (I'm 25) they just assume that you are making up the pain. Those *******s! (Well, not all of them). God, I could go on and on and on forever!

I hope you have a good night! Hang in there! You are a strong, caring woman. (I can tell by the sweet posts). You deserve to be happy. Just give it time, it will come! You are in my thoughts! take care of yourself, you have so much to live a healthy life for!
    -Kelly

Old 12-10-2003, 04:46 AM   #15
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bodymechanic
    The most important thing you need to know about detoxing with suboxone is to get off quick. One week at most. If you use it for only one week, it is miracle drug. If you go any longer than a week, you will definately be trading on addiction for another. .
    to detox off of bupenorphine,it needs to be done over as long a time as methadone,very,very slow wean,if you dont do it this way you will be in w/d heaven.bupe is a long acting opiate............chef

Closed Thread