It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• How long will hydro withdrawl last

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
    drummerdude70

drummerdude70 HB User
    How long will hydro withdrawl last

I have been on 2 vicoprofen three times a day for about 2 years . I stopped taking them on sunday afternoon and I have felt uncomfortable but not vomiting nausea or leg cramps just plain tried I am now on wednesday . I have been working everyday getting up though I am tried and putting my mind in gear saying these things will not KICK MY A%%

I was just wondering how long will the triedness last . I have been taking vivarin (A over the counter stay alert caffiene tablet for some energy> I have been looking on the web for this one answer and no one can anser it how long does it take to start feeling normal like a day to day experoience from all of you if possable if I know what is ahead I can perpare and once the fog lifts there is no going back to that sh**any more .

I would like to say I am takimng these as dovctor recommeded since I have had 6 back surgeries and it getting better bad car accident

IF any of you can answer this please reply just want to know what is ahead thank you .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
    housemum
    (female)

housemum HB User
    Re: How long will hydro withdrawl last

Why not taper more slowly. It would probably help alleviate some of your w/d symptoms.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #3
    Bodymechanic
    Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

Plan on at least another week. Stop taking the caffine pills, they will only make you worse in the long run. Go to the health food store and get some tryosine capules and take 4 or 5 in the morning. Keep in mind that most people who take opiates for legitiment pain issues do not exprerience withdrawal syndrome. You are probably at high risk for chronic addiction problems. Stay clear of the drugs from now on or you will really find out what it is like to withdraw from a heavy opiate addiction.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
    drummerdude70

drummerdude70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bodymechanic
    Plan on at least another week. Stop taking the caffine pills, they will only make you worse in the long run. Go to the health food store and get some tryosine capules and take 4 or 5 in the morning. Keep in mind that most people who take opiates for legitiment pain issues do not exprerience withdrawal syndrome. You are probably at high risk for chronic addiction problems. Stay clear of the drugs from now on or you will really find out what it is like to withdraw from a heavy opiate addiction.

I have been legitamately taking these for pain after 6 surgeries after this one more surgery it should be fixed I just wanted to stop taking these pills becasue soon I will be fixed I have a great back doctor and he has done a fantastic job up to now . Right NOw on wednesday night I just got done practicing drums with my band and I am dieing in pain but I am not wanted the hydro I just took 2 advil and the pain is relieved . I really as of now feel Like I am on top of the world and have massive energy ,maybe it's the end of the withdrawl for me and if it is I never ever want to see those pills again the blinders are off and I am seeing the sun YEah. I will be turthful I have had craving for them I have a excellent setup for that I set the empty bottle I have on my dresser in my bedroom and just hit it off the dresser any time I think aboiut them

I will check out the tyosine tabs thanks for the info all I am greatful and I hope and god bless all turns out great for all oif you

Old 12-18-2003, 05:49 AM   #5
    drummerdude70

drummerdude70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drummerdude70
    I have been legitamately taking these for pain after 6 surgeries after this one more surgery it should be fixed I just wanted to stop taking these pills becasue soon I will be fixed I have a great back doctor and he has done a fantastic job up to now . Right NOw on wednesday night I just got done practicing drums with my band and I am dieing in pain but I am not wanted the hydro I just took 2 advil and the pain is relieved . I really as of now feel Like I am on top of the world and have massive energy ,maybe it's the end of the withdrawl for me and if it is I never ever want to see those pills again the blinders are off and I am seeing the sun YEah. I will be turthful I have had craving for them I have a excellent setup for that I set the empty bottle I have on my dresser in my bedroom and just hit it off the dresser any time I think aboiut them

I will check out the tyosine tabs thanks for the info all I am greatful and I hope and god bless all turns out great for all oif you

Just a update it is thursday morning and I am feeling great if this is my withdrawl I am never going back to them who would want to after feeling this great well I am off to work

Old 12-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #6
    Bodymechanic
    Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

Alright then, get out of here and don't let me see you here again

Be Happy and Free

Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
    drummerdude70

drummerdude70 HB User

Quote:
    Alright then, get out of here and don't let me see you here again

Be Happy and Free

Hey thanks for the insightr body mechanic I appericate it extremely I just didn't know what to expect Truthfully thanks for the insight

Old 02-02-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
    REC73

REC73 HB User

Quote:
    OMG.....i just came along this post and i was shocked to see that you had written that most people that take opiates for legitimate pain rarely experience withdrawal. Almost anyone who takes an opiate for more than a week or two continuously, even for legitimate pain, is going to become physically dependent on it and if their pain diminishes and they stop taking the med. they are going to experience withdrawal especially if they have been taking it for an extended period of time.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:27 AM   #9
    TryingToSmile

TryingToSmile HB User
    Question Re: How long will hydro withdrawl last

I totally agree REC. I don't want to be argumentative BodyMechanic, but I just think you made a critical error in your line of thinking in responding to the poster. Just hear me out, and we can agree to disagree if it comes to that!

I don't agree with your comment that people who are not addicted will not get withdrawal symptoms after taking opiates for some time. Physiologically speaking, there is a reason the bottles of pills are marked with extensive warnings like "Do not stop taking suddenly" and "May be habit forming." This does not just apply to addicts, but anyone. When your opiate receptors are stimulated by the meds for a long, constant time, it doesn't matter whether you are an "addict" or just what they call 'normal' (my stupid word choice, cuz there is no such thing as normal), whether you are taking it recreationally or for legit pain.....if two people both start taking vicodin for the first time, at the dosage of 10mg/500mg, taking around 6 pills a day, but PERSON 1 is using it recreationally and PERSON 2 has other legitimate pain, and they both stop CT after 2YEARS (like the original poster..not exactly, but mostly), I have a hard time believing that PERSON 2 with legit pain will have very minimal withdrawals, but PERSON 1 will suffer horrible, painful withdrawals because they are 'genetically predisposed' to being an addict. Now, in the event that PERSON 1 works their way up to taking 20 a day, and PERSON 2 remains at 8-10, then OF COURSE the WD's will be significantly different. THAT makes sense to me. And, if PERSON 1 has gone through abuse and withdrawal time and time again, they might have a very different reaction to their 5th cold turkey attempt in comparison against PERSON 2 in my example above. But that doesn't disqualify PERSON 2 from withdrawals, even very difficult ones!

Trying to compare a non-addict with an addict with regard to withdrawal symptoms is basically like comparing apples to oranges to banannas to kiwis, because there are so many factors involved in determining the 'misery' and physical pain/depression of WD's. For example, look at those chronic pain patients who are not 'addicted,' but need long-acting meds...

Say JOHN has legit pain from some severly compressed disks in his neck that are pinching nerves and shooting pain through his body (this is how I started off with my horrible pain management experience) and absolutely HAS to take his full dosage of 40mg twice a day of oxycontin EVERY DAY, and maybe some OXY IR daily as needed for breakthru pain (and he never chews it, abuses it, etc). When JOHN gets better after his surgery, and cold turkey stops after 2 years of taking the long-acting oxycontin and OXY IR, he is going to feel horrible no matter if he is an 'addict' or 'normal.' This comes from the simple fact that if you are using a narcotic that slowly releases into your system 24 HOURS A DAY, your body has gotten used to the med....I just am not willing to compromise on this point...anyone who has legitimately used oxycontin/duragesic patch, etc. will agree...ask the pain management board what happens to them physically when they run out early because someone like me steals their meds from the medicine cabinet, or if they are going on vacation and their doctor doesn't believe them and won't pre-fill the script a couple days ahead of time. There are always discussions like that on the pain management board, with people offering support for what to do when they inevitably have to deal with this problem.

I don't mean to make anyone feel bad here, because although I started off as a legit chronic pain patient, and still have horrible neck/back pain, it never called for the amount of narcotics I took....I'm sure many can relate. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I will never excuse it as my doctors fault. It is each one of ours responsibility to research the medications we are taking, and educate ourselves on it. We are adults, and when you put chemicals in your body, you are just irresponsible if you don't ask lots of questions and do your research. I mean, say we were handed this new flu medication script after visiting the doctor. We go to the pharmacy, and they tell you its potentially harmful to your liver, that stopping it suddenly can be life-threatening, and absolutely do not drink alcohol. I know I would surely go to the internet and look up more information if I were handed this medicine. I mean, in this example, the medication didn't even mention the potential for it being habit-forming, but the other factors the pharmacist mentions is certainly enough to put me on guard and further research it on the internet. I am trying to compare this to opiates, that if a similar med was prescribed to us, and it was missing the very worst side-effect of opiates (habit-forming), all the other warnings would be enough to get our attention! I don't want to make anyone mad here, because I know a lot of people are very mad at doctors because they don't think they properly monitored their medications, but IN MY CASE, I KNEW that I was taking more than prescribed. I KNEW AFTER A FEW MONTHS THAT A PROBLEM WAS STARTING. I WANTED to blame it on my doc, and thought to myself 'well, he said I could take up to 8 if I needed it...and I'm still in pain, so I'll take 2 more...." I knew when I was taking it more to make me feel normal than to fix my pain. I recognized after a couple months that I couldn't wake up without taking my pills. FOR ME, I never resented my doc, because I went to him with severe pain, he tried some lesser-evil medications with me, they didn't work, and he eventually prescribed (or I demanded) 10/500 vicodin. He told me was the less preferred long-term action, and he even made me get my liver tested every couple months. I heard on the news the problems with vicodin, percocet, oxycontin. SO FOR ME, there is nobody to blame but myself, even though someone else prescribed it. I just can't act like I blindy took this medicine without any awareness that it is habit-forming, dangerous to your liver, etc. I think you'd have to be in a very isolated or rare situation to not have had any warning about the potential for trouble with this medication. (Again, please don't anyone get mad at me here for saying this....each one of us has a different opinion/experience)

So in your opinon, Body Mechanic, having withdrawal symtoms is indicative of an addict? A person with slipped disks and severe pain who has been on Fentanyl patches for 2 years decides to have corrective surgery, and it goes great and the pain is gone... Do you think in theory they should not feel bad withdrawals when stopping because they are not an addict? The reason I ask is that since the patch (fentanyl) is an opiate more potent than heroin, do you think it is humanly possible for someone to stop it CT and feel minimal WD's? Or does your theory mostly apply to things like vicodin/percs (which are a lesser evil than the patches/long-meds)?

And as far as the original poster to this topic, he came to a board labeled 'Addiction/Recovery.' Do you think he wasn't addicted? If so, what made him keep taking the pills after he didn't need them? Because you mentioned that his easy WD's are likely indicative of a person with low abuse/addiction potential, and that you 'dont want to see him on the board anymore' (which I understood you said kind of joking because in your opinion the worst is over, he probably had a minimal problem, etc.) Well, for me, I think if you are physically/mentally uncomfortable enough with the medication to seek out a board like this to solicit help, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. And he probably needs to come back to the boards OFTEN, to prevent relapse, read about everyone's stories to remind him why he doesn't want to seek a refill, offer support to others who are at the same point he was when he initially posted, etc.

I think it is a big mistake to give a person the idea that their problem is small, is probably over, and doesn't need any further support from the board on the basis that their withdrawals weren't HORRIBLE and their problem didn't last years. I've seen too many people post on boards like these on Day 10 of their recovery that they have the problem nailed, feel on top of the world, and will never go back to the drugs...and then a month later they come back, because something very stressful in life happened and they turned back to the euphoria of the pills. I know you were just offering support, and had this posters best intentions in mind, but I just feel really strongly about him NOT leaving the board with that approach to the problem in mind.

I really am not busting your ba*!'s. I'm just curious to hear the rational behind your opinion, because this issue is very interesting to me. I recently had a neurologist say almost the same exact thing you mentioned in your post, but my physical medicine doctor profusely disagrees. If you know something that I have clearly overlooked, or I have seriously stepped out of line and are talking nonsense, please don't hesitate in telling me! I don't want to argue, I just tend to talk too much when I disagree or feel strongly about something (as you can tell, I probably could've written this in one paragraph, but now here I am an hour later, totally engrossed.)
    Take care, and let me know what you think about my post. I won't be offended, so be frank.

Good luck everyone.....lets have as much as a drug-free Tuesday as possible!! Stay focused, read the boards!!!

luv,
    Tryin'

Last edited by TryingToSmile; 02-03-2004 at 12:38 AM.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #10
    jan22

jan22 HB User

Just to add my husband has taken two hydros almost everyday for the last five years. He has many physical problems. He doesn't have a clue about addiction. He doesn't even realize that they are different than taking an oc medication. If he doesn't take any he will feel some mild discomfort for a few days. Kind of like the flu coming on but never hits. He never craves them mentally just a mild physcial discomfort. He doesn't even know why he has the physical discomfort and I would never tell him. The less you know mentally the better. He just thinks he is under the weather a little. So there is some wd even if you aren't mentally addicted to the medication and you are on a small dose.
    Jan

Old 02-03-2004, 07:40 AM   #11
    ddanna

ddanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jan22
    Just to add my husband has taken two hydros almost everyday for the last five years. He has many physical problems. He doesn't have a clue about addiction. He doesn't even realize that they are different than taking an oc medication. If he doesn't take any he will feel some mild discomfort for a few days. Kind of like the flu coming on but never hits. He never craves them mentally just a mild physcial discomfort. He doesn't even know why he has the physical discomfort and I would never tell him. The less you know mentally the better. He just thinks he is under the weather a little. So there is some wd even if you aren't mentally addicted to the medication and you are on a small dose.
    Jan

I feel the same way...the less you know about withdrawals, sometimes the better. I've had a few surgeries prior to "knowing" hydro and two of the times I stopped taking them cold turkey after 2 weeks or so and I was fine. Another time tho, I might have went thru w/d's but just didn't know it at the time. We didn't have a computer/internet at those times so I didn't have access to all this info. This time when I quit (I had been taking them for approx. 5 mos) I believe it was w/d's I experienced...now that I can look back on my symptoms. I also was getting fibromyalgia symptoms & was later diagnosed with it so back then, I chalked it up to that. I was throwing up, had no energy & layed around for about a week, experienced a couple panic attacks that I had never had in my life & still don't have, just felt really bad. Even my husband remembers that week. Maybe it could have been fibromyalgia starting up but I have a feeling it was w/d's. When I know about stuff, I freak. It's better to leave me in the dark but here I am looking all over the internet for all kinds of info...not good!

Anyway, just felt the urge to add in my 2 cents.

Take care everyone, Dana

Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 AM   #12
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

My mother is another one -- non-addict but, when switched from heavy opiate treatment to non-opiates (Celebrex/Vioxx) combined w/OTC Tylenol varieties, of course she felt like crap for a week or so. But she doesn't like the way opiates make her feel sleepy so it was at her request that she was switched to non-opiates. She still takes cough med w/codeine in winter and the bottle just sits there almost full most of the time -- if I were in my active addiction, you know it would be gone in a day!

Old 02-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
    tomas1979

tomas1979 HB User

the first two times i quit i just thought i caught the flu, but i was definatly withdrawling

Closed Thread