It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Going Cold Turkey Tomorrow Need Adice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User
    Question Going Cold Turkey Tomorrow Need Adice

Hi everyone, it is that time its time to come clean. I have been taking about 25 10mg/325 vicoden with some oxycotin in there as well. I was going to do a detox center where they inject the suboxone but one of my friends went there first after he came home after 5 days taking 3 shots a day and I guess they never tapered him off but when he got home it was like like back to done one with cold turkey. He ended up toughing it out but he said it was really tough.

So after hearing that story I figure let me save $3000 and try to tackle this by myself. My questions to all of you, I have some valuims that I plan on using to help the w/d's. Is this safe to pratically put myself to sleep for a few days. I don't want to kill myself, but figure sleeping will be the best, my fiance is going to be supporting me through this, she went shopping for food and got vitamins and took off the whole next 9 days to help me. I am ready to end this disease now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
    serenity111
    Inactive

serenity111 HB User
    Re: Going Cold Turkey Tomorrow Need Adice

you are SO LUCKY you have such a caring and supportive fiance. no, i would not take those pills, so you can sleep! if your gonna quit, then taking anything would ruin it...... we'd all love to sleep through the withdrawls, but thats the ****** part of quitting. that will go away, and in the mean time you really have someone there, to help you through this. i just started posting on this board, and it is amazing how close i feel to EVERYONE!!!! posting here, and hearing responses is really helping me. GOOD LUCK to you! stay strong---you can get through this. there are ALOT of people out there that care!

Old 12-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

So you think the valium will be harmfull to the w/d's. I will need them to go to sleep at night and figured it would at least keep me calm through the hard times. I know I am so greatfull of my fiance she is going to make it a lot easier for me, I just hate for her to see me go through this. My 2 other friends just quit one did rehab the other cold turkey they are both going strong still so I am next to quit. Knowing they did it will give me more confidence that I can do it.

Can anyone give any advice to make this any easier, what vitamins to buy, foods to eat, what medications will help to calm the anxiety and sleeping issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, tomorrow is the day, I will keep giving updates.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Greg;

I guess I would give a slightly different view on how to CT. I believe the use of a benzo and other drugs to detox is perfectly sound but thatís just my opinion. You just have to use them for 3 or 4 days and then stop using them. The benzo's can be very much more painful to get off from if you get dependant on them. You may have used them for sleep but you really need to stop the use if possible and hopefully you were not using them on a regular basis, if you have been then you need to work with a Dr to get of the valium. Going CT with valium is dangerous to your help with possible seizure risks.

The valium should help. Its what I used when I did the CT thing. The max dose per day is 40mg so you should try and stay within that frame. You should also use a DR is you can but it would seem that you are going it alone so you really should lean on your fiancť to support you. Let her dish out the pills to you. I took 10mg of valium every 6 hrs for the first 3 days and it put me to sleep for most of the time. Also is you can get some clonidine for the crawly skin and shakes and ambium for sleep or benedryl. Imodium would help with the runs if needed, Bentyl for stomach and legs cramps and Phnergan for nausea. Personally I think the biggest help to me was the valium 1st and clonidine 2nd. The first 1-3 days will be the worst, days 3-5 will slowly get better and once your by day 5 its a slow climb uphill to feeling better. It will take a few weeks before you feel really good but 80% is a lot better then 5%, trust me.

Good luck, focus in on your goal and believe me when I say life without the drugs is so much better then with the pills. Itís a great high, life without drugs.

phil

Last edited by Philster2003; 12-26-2003 at 10:01 AM.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
    nomorepills
    Inactive

nomorepills HB User

Greg-
    Awesome for realizing the maddness needs to stop! I too had the pain pill problem it switched from Oxy's to the hydros and back and forth for about 3-4 years. I have had other addictions and they were hard to overcome...but this one really grabbed me and wouldnt let go.
    I think the valiums would be a really good idea. I took Soma for getting rid of the creepy crawlies. They wouldnt really put me to sleep, just make me groggy enough not to care what was going on. I also took Ambien to sleep at night because insomnia makes the withdrawl process so much worse!
    My doc said that the soma would be ok and the Ambien so this is not advice that will get you killed- He also said that if I had had a script of Valium, that would be ok too but i didnt and that is why he gave me the Soma.
    Your girl sounds very supportive and understanding.....the vitamins are a great idea to rebuild your energy.
    I will say that it took a good 2 weeks to get the worst part of the physical w/d symptoms gone maybe a little longer give or take 2-3 days. In those 2 weeks make sure you have plenty of the valium to relax you. After you know the physical part is over with try to stop the valium immediatly because you dont want to use that to take care of the emotional part...that is like covering up feelings with the valium which ties in to the whole addiction thing...you know.... then you are fighting a battle against valium.
    I would also advise that you take hot showers as much as you can. This helps you to not feel so sweaty and grungy. And when you feel like crawling out of your skin....try to get into one position and not moving.
    I hope some of this helps...I wish I would have had someone to give me advice when i was going thru it. I was alone with my two kids....it sucked for me, but I am sure they hated it that I was "out of commision" for a few weeks, but I would rather it be that than for them to have a drugged out mom!
    If you have any questions or you feel like crud...post something and I will help.
    Take care, and let your girl take care of you.

NMP

Old 12-26-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

You guys are awesome, just reading these posts, it is so cool how everyone helps each other out. It feels good thanks

Is Ambien a prescribed drug from a doctor or is it over the counter. I do also have Soma's so I think I am in good shape I will buy all of the other over the counters for nausea and stomach problems. What is clonidine?

I will get through this, I have 9 days off from work starting tomorrow I will give the drugs to my fiance and let her monitor me, thank god I have her otherwise I probably would find myself searching the whole house. Bottom line is I want out and I am determined to get out, I just want to make it as less painfull as possible but in a safe way. I know that w/d's themselves are very harmfull to the body so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing worse by taking other meds such as valuim. I will not get addicted to valium, I dont like the high but it puts me right to sleep. Thanks so much everyone you are all so supportive.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #7
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Greg;

Clonidine is a prescription blood pressure med that is very effective with withdrawal symptoms. Ambein, Phenergan and Bentyl are also prescription meds. You would probably do OK with just the Valium, over the counter Benedryl and Imodium. Good luck and stay focused, it seems long but in the scheme of things its only a short few days before you are back to normality.

Stay with us as you progress, and remember, hot showers and lots of walking (when awake lol) will help.

phil

Old 12-26-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
    staceyy

staceyy HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Going Cold Turkey Tomorrow Need Adice

Greg,
    I don't know at all what it is like to detox off pills never had to do that my docs are hip to pill addiction I do take Ambian and Klonipin But I have to! My doc gives it to me in seven day refills so there is no over doing it and he stops it every couple months And I just go through rebound insomnia which sucks but it beats detox again. I am a herion addict. I quit cold turkey hard yea hardest thing I will probley ever have to do but it's been over 5 years now worth every bit of pain I went through and it was over three months befor I felt good not to scare you but trading one pill for another just not to deal with reality is not advice I will give you I think the pain makes you appreciate it more when you think about starting again what it takes to get off. I know it makes me greatful when I see people who are still loaded I think thank you for allowing me to make it through what I have had to go through and I know that even when things come up I know I will make it through what ever it is sober! Just my opinoin. I just know what works for me. Just a though. You too will be in my prayers. You can do it. What ever life hands you I know you have the strength to make it through.
    Goddess Bless You
    Stacey

Old 12-26-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

I will pick up some of the over the counters because I cant get the other meds after the new year my DR is on vacation, which also helps me so I wont go to him and get vikes.
    My pour body has no idea what it is in for, this is going to be real tough, my body has just been so dependent for the last 3 years every day never missing one day and going right to cold turkey. I've never really felt too much w/d's the most I ever felt was not having anything for a few hours and that was rough. I am actually scared of not making it, as much confidence as I have right now what if I really can't do it, then what? I guess what you all say is right take one day at a time.

Old 12-26-2003, 04:16 PM   #10
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Greg;

I won't tell you it will be OK, it will be rough no doubt but you can do it, just take the valium at max dose, walking and hot showers and just hang in there. There is no gain without pain as they say. Many succeed and many fail so either way you have to go for it and just give it your best shot. Itís no fun but if you are determined you can do it. Keep us updated on your progress.

phil

Old 12-26-2003, 08:26 PM   #11
    Davidps

Davidps HB User

Greg,
    Cold Turkey is tough no matter how you figure it and to me substituting diazepams for opiates is not cold turkey. I've tried doing it and it hasn't worked for me because my thinking does not work right and I can't stay committed while using the diazepams. And since they are not my drug of choice, they make it easier for me to go back to opiates. Valerien root is a good herb to help you relax. I tried a detox that used bupronex and it was kind of like your friend who used the sub detox, ended up going cold turkey. The most comfortable detox I've had was a 21 day, blind methadone detox for opiates. Where I live it costs $155.00 and you just coast down and can still sleep and eat right. Since your being given a blind dose, it helps remove some of psychological effects because you don't know how much your receiving. I've did cold turkey before and it is tough. Especially when you just toss and turn all night and have leg cramps and all the other stuff that goes with it. I have a lot of respect for people that can do it, but it is tougher to detox the older you get and I'm in my 50's now. The good outcome about cold turkey is you never want to go through it again because it is so hard. I wish you the best and hope you can do it. I did it alone and it was tough not sleeping for days. You have quite a habit and it's not going to be easy no matter how you do it. But I would only do it as a last resort. From experience, methadone is the most comfortable route to go, although as with any way you look at it, I have to be really committed to follow through, because my mind can rationalize almost anything to start me using again. That's why I need all the support I can get to maintain my sobriety. Hope this helps and does not discourage you. It's just my opinion and what my experience has been. Take care and stay in touch with this board because the people here really do care!
    David

Old 12-26-2003, 08:26 PM   #12
    Murphy555

Murphy555 HB User

Hi, congrats on wanting to get off of this stuff. I was taking what you were taking and now am on 8mg suboxone, but that's working out ok so far.

As for you, don't think it's a good idea just taking valium, like I'm sure you're talking about as many as you can - to get to sleep. Knowing what I know about w/d I don't think 20 valiums (dangerous) will help you sleep through w/d.

What knocked me out during medical w/d was the clonidine patch. Lowers your blood pressure. At the same time, it makes you feel totally out of it. In fact, I slept right through it, occasionally getting up to go to the bathroom, and I remember being drenched with sweat, only having the energy to change, and go right back to sleep.

As for getting rid of this disease now - you may think now that detox is the hard part; but getting rid of this disease takes perhaps forever as far as cravings, etc. It's a lifelong struggle, not necessarily an unhappy one. Like Philster said.

It's nice you have someone so supportive, but I wouldn't want anyone in the room with me while I was going through w/d!!! That's just me

Good luck
    Murph

Old 12-26-2003, 08:58 PM   #13
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

This is where a board becomes a menu of information, thoughts and choices/opportunities. There are a number of opinions and suggestions. Iíve told you what worked well for me and I chose a path that was the result of extensive research on my part as I like to make well informed choices, even while in the throws of addiction. Thatís why some detox clinics use benzoís, others use Ultram, others use methadone, while others may use Suboxone or vitamins. Greg, you asked for help and thoughts and youíve received a number of choices and directions. You need to decide which path is best for you. Personally I would use benzoís again if I had to go this path again, but I would not exceed the daily recommended dosage which is 40mg or 10mg every 6 hrs or take that level more then 3 or 4 days at most I did the 3 day path. As my Dr told me that should be enough to basically knock you out which was fine with me. Oh I still felt the withdrawal when I was awake. Again just my opinion but whether you use a benzo or methadone or suboxone itís all the same and if this is a short term use (5-10 days) its not substituting in my mind. I also think that coming off opiates with the sudden stoppage approach is cold turkey even if you use a benzo, and or clonidine or ambient or Imodium or Phenergan. The opiate intake has stopped and as long as you on a short term use (3-7 days) of the meds to ease a bit of the withdrawal then you should not have any collateral effects from those meds. No matter what you take withdrawal is painful and the meds help but do not come close to elimination of withdrawal. I also agree that the pain of withdrawal is a helpful deterrent to future use or relapse as typically you really donít want to go through withdrawal to many times. I canít comment on if itís easier if you are younger and more difficult as you get older as I was old when I put myself through this fiasco of addiction. But logic would tell me that everything I do, all the pains and aches I have seem more pronounced and prolonged with age so there may be great truth in withdrawal being more painful with age lol.

Just let us know how you are doing and remember, YOU ARE STRONGER THEN YOU THINK YOU ARE! You can do it.

phil

Old 12-27-2003, 07:10 AM   #14
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

greggr-
    good luck w/ your detox-having a dear friend w/ you can make all the differance..sending love/prayers right now.I was a H addict and i detoxed so many times..it was a horrorshow.
    Definitely TAKE the valium..not too much but you will need it-ive tried detoxing w/and w/o benzos and the benzos help.
    Liquids/when you can deal as much as possible/hot baths..id do 2-3 a day..heating pad/any comfort thing you can muster.
    I feel for you..be strong..we will all be here for you..
    heather

Old 12-27-2003, 03:28 PM   #15
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Greg;

Talk to us, how you doing, hopefully you are working towards goodness. We know its tuff but hang in there. The end is worth the pain!

phil

Closed Thread