It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Giving Up On Trazodone !!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User
    Thumbs down Giving Up On Trazodone !!!!

goodmorning to all !!!,

Well, I just spent another sleeplees night here on the couch.I have absolutely "no desire" to go to sleep. That is why I stay out here in the living room, so at least my wife isn`t disturbed by all my moving around and wanting to talk all night long. But, she still complains that it doesn't feel right, without me laying down next to her. Amongst all my other complaints, that on top of my list too!!!!
    I just finished my 9 day of using TRAZODONE! 3days at 100mg., 3days at 150mg., and the last 3days at 200mg. all taken around normal bedtime.
    This is going into 5th week of this Insomnia, ( only 2 maybe 3 hours sleep around this time of day ). But on alot of days I have morning DR. appts. and other appts., so I will go for 36-40 hours straight without even a nap.(like my good old Army days ha,ha)
    I am about to call the doctor up, and let him know that the Trazodone didn't work any better than that Ambien...I am starting to feel that "grogyness--slow mind and reflexes, that some of you said I might get from triing that Trazodone!! Even though I am on day 16 of the 21 day wean-down program from originally being given Kolonopin, Catapress, and 2mg of xanax I feel absolutely calm, cool, but wide awake all the time now. I still haven't taken a pain pill of any type in over a month now, and I feel no craving to do so. (guess I am very lucky in that regard!!)
    What do you'll think about this ???. Well, time to make that phone call now..... SEE Ya !!

Kinda-unwell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 08:52 AM   #2
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User
    Re: Giving Up On Trazodone !!!!

Kinda

Sorry I have not been following your story. But - you seem to be quitting the use of benzos? Viz, xanax and klonopin?
    I tapered off ativan this year by first substituting valium (longer half life) and then tapering down the valium very slowly. It took me 7 months to come down from 30 mg valium (equivalent to 3 mg ativan or1.5 mg of xanax or 1.5 mg of klonopin).
    It was a difficult time - but the greatest and most lingering of all the withdrawals was insomnia. The insomnia plagued me for the best part of 4 months after quitting finally, but I am now 6 months off and sleeping well again. By insomnia - I mean that some nights (or days) I did not sleep at all - on others - the maximum I managed was 3 hours from about midnight until 3.00 am when I was wide awake again. It was very debilitating and I got very depressed. All I can advise is giving it time. Seems to me like you are reducing these drugs at a very fast rate. But you dont seem to complain of other withdrawal symptoms and so you may just be very lucky. My advice would be to take no further medications but to let your body and mind adjust. This it will do in time. I wouldnt recommend the use of trazodone or any other drugs during this period of adjustment.
    I wish you well - it appears that you are doing remarkably well - just give it some more time? These are strong psychotropic drugs - they alter brain chemistry - it takes time for the adjustments. Your brain will sleep when it has to - it has failsafe mechanims for survival!
    Good luck - I will follow your journey with interest!
    Never lose hope or give up - if I can do it - then anyone can!!!!
    yinksy

Old 12-30-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
    Happy Father
    Inactive

Happy Father HB User

wow Trazadone puts me out ASAP and is totally non addictive.......Good luck friend.

Old 12-30-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

This is classic benzodiazepine withdrawal. It can last long, but it will definately go away...taking other prescription meds may delay it, other than the antihistamine group, which is fairly harmless and won't delay recovery from benzos. But OTC antihistamines work only sometimes. I think they have prescription antihistamines which could be used short-term. Also, chammomile tea triple bagged, and a calcium supplement might help. Sometimes a tylenol may drop body temperature to induce a bit of sleep. But nothing will work better than prescription drug-free time, although it is frustrating to wait through!

Old 12-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
    willow123

willow123 HB User

Tell Your Doc To Give You Halcion ...it Works You Will Sleep Or Restoril

Old 12-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Halcion is now banned in the UK. Causes memory blackouts and is highly addicitve.
    FWIW - I agree with jennita in this - I reckon you should cut the use of all chemicals now and allow your brain and body to heal. It will - just give it some time. Dont invite further addictions.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:02 PM   #7
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hi,yinksy,HappyFather,Jennita willow123

MY doctor prescribed for me
    Ativam (Lorazeppam ) at one or two tablets (1 mg. Each ). He only prescribed for 5 days worth. He feels that is enough time to see whether or not this med will work on me . And if not, that amount is not enough time to become addicted to or dependent on. I took 2 pills last night,along with valrium(SP)root and meletonin.I also drank a cup of "sleepy-time" tea.I slept for 6 and1/2 hours!!!! thats the most in quite along time. I might have slept even longer, but I was awoken by a terrible cramp in my left leg. Whata hurtful way to wake up. I still have some Lidoderm patches left and when I put it on the two worst places it stopped the pain almost immediately.
    I have 4 days left,out of a 21 day wean-down process,that will put an end to my Kolonopin,catapres and xanax taking. I didn't really feel they helped me very much. I feel very much normal and am not expirencing any type of widrawals. So far,so good! I only took them once before, and I over-medicated myself. I went through 90 pills of both xanax and Kolonopin in 14 days!!The pharmicist said I should Of been dead or at least in a coma! and i still could not fall sleep. Strange, but True!!!!!!!
    Pretty much the same thing (no sleep ) when he tried me on Ambien, restoril and this last one Trzadone (200mg. )

Old 01-02-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

I don't know how Ativan will help, except cause more dependancy...it is in the same drug class as Xanax and Klonopin. You already have developed what sounds like severe tolerance to these types of meds. Your brain not only can't make the chemicals to sleep as a result but the brain has been fighting the chemicals by setting up tolerance, which is creating more excitatory chemicals. Look up benzo withdrawal to find sites explaining this, and the Ashton Manual.

What you read on those sites will sound a bit scary, but it isn't a permanent condition. With time and lots of patience, your brain will learn to sleep again. The drugs, however, should always be weaned off very slowly; starting/stopping abruptly can cause longer withdrawals and might be dangerous to boot. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:57 AM   #9
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User

Halcion is what Burt Reynolds was on when he suffered from severe TMJ pain, he had to go to detox

Be careful with the Ambien too, Im SOOO addicted to that I cant even nap without it,

Old 01-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yinksy
    Kinda

Sorry I have not been following your story. But - you seem to be quitting the use of benzos? Viz, xanax and klonopin?
    I tapered off ativan this year by first substituting valium (longer half life) and then tapering down the valium very slowly. It took me 7 months to come down from 30 mg valium (equivalent to 3 mg ativan or1.5 mg of xanax or 1.5 mg of klonopin).
    It was a difficult time - but the greatest and most lingering of all the withdrawals was insomnia. The insomnia plagued me for the best part of 4 months after quitting finally, but I am now 6 months off and sleeping well again. By insomnia - I mean that some nights (or days) I did not sleep at all - on others - the maximum I managed was 3 hours from about midnight until 3.00 am when I was wide awake again. It was very debilitating and I got very depressed. All I can advise is giving it time. Seems to me like you are reducing these drugs at a very fast rate. But you dont seem to complain of other withdrawal symptoms and so you may just be very lucky. My advice would be to take no further medications but to let your body and mind adjust. This it will do in time. I wouldnt recommend the use of trazodone or any other drugs during this period of adjustment.
    I wish you well - it appears that you are doing remarkably well - just give it some more time? These are strong psychotropic drugs - they alter brain chemistry - it takes time for the adjustments. Your brain will sleep when it has to - it has failsafe mechanims for survival!
    Good luck - I will follow your journey with interest!
    Never lose hope or give up - if I can do it - then anyone can!!!!
    yinksy

HI, yinksy,
    Its been a couple days since we last posted to each other ,and I wanted to let you know how my "pill taking and insomnia" have been doing...
    When I called my Doctor and told him the TRAZODONE didn't seem to be helping (it was at 200mg) it seemed to be giving me severe head aches he suggested triing ativan (lorazepam,1mg.). take two at bedtime. He only called into the pharmacy a 5day emergency amount. He told me that wouuld be enough time to see if it worked for me, but not enough pills to get me dependant on ,or to have withdrawals from.
    well, they did seem to work, cause that first and second night ,I got about 6 and a half hours of straight sleep. Boy, did that feel good! the third and fourth night I got about 5 hours of sleep. And yesterday afternoon I was feeling tired, so I only took 1 pill (1mg.) around 5:00pm, and my wife woke me up from laying on the couch, and went right back to sleep in our bedroom ,and didn't wake up until about 7:00 AM !!!>>>> thats like 14 hours STRAIGHT SLEEP! i GUESS MY BODY REALLY NEEDED THAT AFTER SO MANY DAYS-WEEKS OF ONLY GETTING 2,MAYBE 3 HOURS OF SLEEP. I Have one pill remaining that I DON'T plan on taking tonight. I want to see if my body and mind can do it naturally like it use to!
    By the way, yesterday, was the last day of my weaning off program of that XANAX, KOLONOPIN,and CATAPRES. AS of today, I am "Pill Free" !!!! Now, I guess>>> we will see what happens...... After being on so many pills (there were a series of Pain Pills, I just recently got over, hydros, oxys ,fentanal patches,ect., its been 30 something days clean for them!) for so long>>>YEARS, it feels great not having any pill bottles on my desk, or charts to remember which ones i took and when. All I have left now IS 20mg. of CELEXA taken once in the morning. >>>for better or worst, and I will always respond to you.....

Take Good Care,

(use to be) Kinda-unwell

Old 01-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Hello Kinda-unwell,
    Nice to hear from you. You have made an astoundingly good recovery, I think! I suspected that the pain pills would have been the easiest to get off - all over in 5 to 7 days - but I really thought you might have more trouble with the benzos. But you seem to have a well clued up doctor? So you are free now of all the benzos from ativan to xanax etc. WONDERFUL! Only the celexa to taper off now. Well, Kindaunwell - you have done pure dead brill! (as we say here!). My only warning is: its easy to get off but much more difficult to stay off! How about some sort of support group - like NA?AA or any addiction group?
    Its so good that you are not having insomnia (from which I suffer from time to time) - as it is so depressing.
    Hey kindaunwell - yours is a wonderful and inspiring story - you will help so many on these boards.
    I wish you just all you wish for yourself in this coming year!
    yinksy

Old 01-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yinksy
    Hello Kinda-unwell,
    Nice to hear from you. You have made an astoundingly good recovery, I think! I suspected that the pain pills would have been the easiest to get off - all over in 5 to 7 days - but I really thought you might have more trouble with the benzos. But you seem to have a well clued up doctor? So you are free now of all the benzos from ativan to xanax etc. WONDERFUL! Only the celexa to taper off now. Well, Kindaunwell - you have done pure dead brill! (as we say here!). My only warning is: its easy to get off but much more difficult to stay off! How about some sort of support group - like NA?AA or any addiction group?
    Its so good that you are not having insomnia (from which I suffer from time to time) - as it is so depressing.
    Hey kindaunwell - yours is a wonderful and inspiring story - you will help so many on these boards.
    I wish you just all you wish for yourself in this coming year!
    yinksy

HI yinksy,
    So kind of you to reply so fast!! Is it late over there in the U.K., or are you having another "insomnia" night???
    I know exactly what you mean when you say the physical withdrawals hurt bad enough, to get them over with, but even if you're lucky enough to have a good and slow taper, like me >>>>> the hardest part comes now (and maybe for always) , when it comes down to having strong willpower!!! Even though it has been about 35 days since I came off Pain Pills(a 5 day de-tox in hospital) they gave me 3 times day something called a Methadone Cocktail with some other stuff added to it that the doctor wouldn't tell me what it was because he said he was in the process of "pattening(sp) it. The first day or two ,I still needed a couple shots of Demerol(low dosage, i'm sure), but by the fourth and fifth day ,I was walking around the hospital like I own it(ha,ha) I even was taking two showers a day , shaving clean-faced, and even helping the staff when they would let me.The doctor released me with a script for 5 day wean-down to come off the methadone , and I had no physical problems....But as you said ,Once in a while I think about the high I use to get from the hydros, mostly the oxycontins, and even the Fentanal patches(at one point I got a double script for 50ug/h and 75ug/h, and I use to cut the 75's open and suck and lick all that 72 hour medicine out all at once!

Old 01-06-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
    Smile4uhun

Smile4uhun HB User

I have serious insomnia problems, I am bi-polar and manic depressive, and take Trazodone...I am on 300 mgs. a night, but in the past was on 500 mgs. a night (I stopped taking it for a few years). Trazodone as explained by both Pscyhiatrist and PCP is NON addictive and can be raised. Discuss your situation with your healthcare provider.

Ambien is for short term usage. I was on that when I first started back getting help after thinking I was fine with the all of the above mentioned. Ambien is also HIGHLY addictive. It stops working and can have reverse effects, I believe that is also mentioned in the pamphlet that comes with the medication. Please talk to Dr. about raising the Trazodone...don't go with the Ambien.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #14
    Smile4uhun

Smile4uhun HB User

or Adivan for long term if Dr. gives you more. I am on Adivan 1 mg. for nerves and stress, it doesn't make me sleepy. It just calms me, however, my Psychiatrist already told me that she will not give it to me long term bc of of the addictive nature of the drug. I am not dependent on it as a 8 day supply will last me weeks, simply bc I fear addiction. I am already having some other major health issues and am on a bunch of meds...so I try to use it only if I am extremely stressed or starting rage (bi-polar, manic).

Old 01-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hi, Smile4uhun

I hope you are doing well today!!
    My medical(Drugs Too) history began near the end of 1999, when I started feeling my sioctic nerve beginning to go down from my lumbar region(L5/S1) to my left calf. I went to the ortho, he proscribed vicoden 5's, and had an MRI done. BAM!!!>>>> I had herniated the disc. As the pain kept getting worse, the drug dossage kept going up also, just to control the pain. Anyway to make this short, I had 2 Spinal operations that were only partially successful. By the time 2003 came around, there was nothing more that could be done,surgically, so I was just given physical therapy and lots and lots of pain medication>>>like oxycontin (40mg. 3x aday) oxy IR for breakthrough pain , the fentenal patches( 50's, 75's ug/h) xanax,>> plus so much more I can't recall them all.End of this sad sob story>>>> it took most of the year, a 5 day de-tox at a hospital 6 weeks ago,and finally my opiate drug problems were finished. But I started showing signs of depression, anxiety, and insomnia. I would be awake for 30 something hours, fall asleep for only 2-3 hours and then another 30 something hours awake and so on and so on. They tried me on the herbal stuff,Ambien, xanax(again!) Kolonopin, and Trazodone. Nothing changed a thing. And sometimes, it felt like those meds (not all taken together, of course!) would get me even more wired up!! It took me a 21 day "wean-down" to stop them all.That went smooth enough for me, but the insomnia was still constantly going on. I've never had insomnia before, and I don't have any sleep disorders. Thats when my Pain Doctor deceided to try me on a 5 day trial of Ativan. Take 2 pills right before what would be considered normal sleeping time (11:00 PM). Each pill is 1 mg.
    And BAM!! I started sleeping a normal 8 hours. Like you, I am "very affraid" of having another addiction. But what am I to do?
    When they ran out saturday night into Sunday, I went back to the herbal teas and melontonin, But I've only got about 3 hours sleep in the last two days (again!!!).
    Even as I am posting to you, I am deceiding if I should call the Doctor and ask for another 5 day script(?????).
    Well,Smile4uhun, thats my story (or dilemma). I got a feeling I'm gonna call him, because my body is exhausted, but my mind just keeps racing along... After all the "other trials" I have been through and beaten, I can't believe This is gonna start all over again....
    I've written enough, Sorry my post was soo long. Sometimes I have to write all this stuff out, because I won't let my wife and family know how much this insomnia is really killing me. I just tell them its a normal reaction from my past drug ussage, that it will stop soon, and that it doesn't really bother me-- I feel great. On the other side of the coin, I really do feel good about being able to stop all other drug ussage, and can handle my back pain. Life is crazy,sometimes...
    Okay Smile4uhun, thats it!
    If you feel like it, you can post back to me anytime. I'll probably be awake!!!!! ha,ha.../...

Kinda- unwell (sometimes)....

Closed Thread