It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Lomotil..tell me what you know about it!!..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
    littleone314
    Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
    Lomotil..tell me what you know about it!!..

I've posted here a couple times about my grandmother's drug abuse problem. I recently found that she has been taking Lomitil for IBS. However, she will take up to maybe 8 a day. If I'm not mistaken doesn't this drug contain opium? and isn't this extrememly addictive am I right? Could someone tell me everything they know about this drug : for example, correct usage etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Lomotil..tell me what you know about it!!..

littleone, I am looking this drug up in my PDR as we speak.From what I am reading here, the recomended daily dosage is 2 tabs four X daily.But also states that if control of acute diarrhea is not achieved at ten days, it is unlikely that it will be controlled by further administration.How long has she been taking this.And is she having any problems now with constipation? The drus listed in lomotil are diphenoxylate 2.5mg, and atropine sulfate 0.025mg.It does give a warning that the diphenoxylate may be habit forming.Under "warnings it states that this is NOT an innocuous drug,and dosage recommendations should be strictly adhered to.It also states that at thereputic doses, the drug is devoid of any morphine like subjective effects,but at high doses will exhibit codeine like subjective effects.So in other words,she would be taking much more than what she is now in order to feel any CNS depression or (high).I did notice that the treatment for overdosage in lomotil calls for the same drug that is used in any other narcotic overdosage(naloxone) This drug is only a schedule V ,so the abuse potential is rather low,but still there.I am rather new to this site and am unfamiliar with your past posts on your grandmothers problems,could you give me a quick summary?I hope this helps somewhat.Please post again with the info if you can.And also include any health issues she may have as this drug can have an effect on other body systems if they are impaired in some way. Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 01-04-2004 at 04:44 AM.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
    Bodymechanic
    Inactive

Bodymechanic HB User

Yes, it is an opiate. I have never heard of anyone being addicted to it. If it could be abused, I definately would have done it by now. The drug has been modified in a way that it binds with the receptors controlling the intestines. The point is, it does not effect the brain so there is no pleasure in taking it. If grandma is continues having trouble with her stomach, it is best if she goes back to see her doctor rather than keep increasing the dose of lomotil.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
    littleone314
    Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Feelbad; Bare with me as it may take a while for me to explain the whole situation!!

My gm has been abusing pain medication for at least 29 years. She would deliberatly fall in order to get pain medication. She can definantly put on a show and a Dr. will believe her. She has taken Zanax for 23 years now. Her therapist prescribes her; Zanax, Geodon, Lexapro, Sonota, and occasionally Ambien. Her regular dr. prescribes her Lomotil, Lasix, a heart medication, a thyriod medication, sometimes fiorcet/fiornal, and Vioxx.

She has only been taking the Geodon, Lexapro, Sonota, and Ambien for a little over a year. During this year she has been spirally down! I can't put my finger on if she is overdosing or just not taking it the at the right time. This is bringing the whole family down because I just had a baby 9 months ago and I'm petrified that while she is in one of her "stupurs" she might accidently do something that would harm my son. She will take all of her medication and not 30 minutes later she will be walking into walls, falling over her own two feet, talking out of her head and she will be eating and while taking the spoon to her mouth she will fall asleep and her food will fall off of her fork/spoon. One paticular night she fell asleep with her head in her plate. She looks like someone from a mental institution. This is so disturbing to watch. The next morning she can't remember a thing that happened and says that we drugged her food. How outragous!!!

There is no talking to her because she says that we are lying and just trying to get her put into a nursing home and she becomes very violent. Well, I think that is where she needs to be if she is going to continue this behavior. We have told the therapist everything that she does and yet he continues to feed her addicition. My mother also sees this therapist and she explains everything and he tells her that he will take care of it or switch her medication etc. I don't think this is the answer. She needs to be detoxed and then we go from there.

It makes me so angry that she is doing this to herself. I don't know what to do because no matter what we do she continues to do this. She carries around a plastic bag filled with medication and guards it with her life. I don't understand this. She is wasting away her life and I can't let my son see her when she is so clearly drugged over.

I need to know what we can do to get her help and who I need to go through because obviously her therapist is not going to do anything. We would really like to turn this dr. in for his lack of concern. Could someone offer me any information?

Old 01-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #5
    littleone314
    Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

just wanted to bump this so that feelbad could read it!

Old 01-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

God littleone, I am at rather a loss here as to tell you what I think your next step should be.I know that in some a states ,if the person is becoming a danger to herself ,that you can get a 72 hour hold placed on her for an eval.Since this (so called) therepist seems to not care enough to do something,I would contact your county crises center,explain the situation and just what has been going on and see what they tell you.From what you have just told me, grandma sounds like she is really paranoid and is also coming very close to possible accidental overdose.She needs to be evaluated by someone other than this uncaring doc that she is now seeing.It also appears to me that she is being way over medicated.I think your best bet is to either contact crises and see what they think, or(and this one might be a little tough for you,when she is in one of her stupors and acting erratically,call the police and tell them that she is not acting herself,and that she has probably taken way too much of her meds and that you are extremely worried about her saftey.unfortunetly this might be your only option to get her the help that she so desperatly needs.If you can get the police to believe that what you are saying is true, they can automatically place a 72 hour hold on her for an eval and then the decision is out of your hands.I know that this may seem rather extreme,but you need to put your grandmothers health,and possibly her life above any feelings of guilt that you might have as a result of doing this.Her behavior sounds like there are some definite mental health issues here too.And this will also bring the Drs Rxing of too many meds to light also.Speak to the Drs at the hosp as they might really look into it you know? I hope this helps somewhat.I used to work crisis for about three years many years ago,so I don't know(can't remember?)all of the critical little steps involved in getting someone placed and every state has there own laws about some of this stuff so call you local county crisis hotline and see what they say,okay? I know that this is not going to be easy, no matter what you do, but you must do something here before she hurts herself or someone else. Hang in there littleone,and I will be anxiously awaiting your next post.Be strong. Marcia

Old 01-06-2004, 04:03 AM   #7
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I agree... my mother was addicted to something called Soma, which is a muscle relaxer and she used to do the same thing... minutes after she would take it (and I mean, alot) she would literally fall alseep in her plate and that happened numerous times. Also, if she's aging, she may be experiencing delerium on top of it. I've never heard of that medication so I cannot offer any more info on that. Is there a way for you guys to get control over her meds to see how many she's taking? I wonder if it's the Ambien or Ativan that's making her act like this? I really wish I could offer more information but I just can't. When my mother had this problem, we could do nothing except sit by and watch. Even though we forced her into rehab after rehab, it did not help. As a mother of three, I don't think I would let her watch your baby by herself, ever.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:36 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littleone, I am just wondering how you are doing and especially how things are with your grandmother. I am hoping that somehow, grandma got some help. When you have a chance, could you please update? thanks, Marcia

Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
    littleone314
    Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Thank you so much everyone to everyone who took the time to post!! It helped just reading words of comfort and support. I did some research on the internet and found a drug abuse hotline. Either tonight or tomorrow, whenever I know she won't be anywhere around, I'm going to give them a call and see what steps I need to take to get her commited for an evaluation. After that it will be up to the doctor's as to what treatment she needs. I'm doing this for her own good because I'm tired of seeing her throwing away her last years. I have a son I have to look out for and he does come first. She threatned to kill herself last night and I don't take any threat lightly. I've been down that road myself and she definantly needs help. I just hope that I can get it for her!! Thank you again all God Bless you

Old 01-09-2004, 04:12 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littleone, so relieved to hear from you.I agree with your plan,but I think that you really need to move on it ASAP.If you have to, go somewhere else to use a phone,and call these people.If Grandma is threatening suicide, you need to get a move on here.I have dealt with this situation many times many years ago,and if grandma is at this point, you are right in not taking it lightly.People in this type of mindset,depending on how far they have thought this through,have been known to not really care about who might join them,you know?You stated in one of your earlier posts that she is suffering from some paranoia.Who knows just what she is thinking.I am sure that at one point in time, grandma was a very caring grandma,but you don't know for sure,just what is going through her head.If she voiced her thoughts about suicide to you, she is really in some emotional pain.I would call that hotline as soon as possible,but I think this situation might call for more of a local call to your local crisis center.The fact that she has now voiced to you her thoughts, gives more of a reason for them to act to get her placed.At least that is how things used to work way back when I worked for our local crisis. I am just concerned for you and your son here, and am really worried about the fact that grandma carries all of her pills around with her where ever she goes.If she decides that she has had enough ,she has the means to act quickly.All it takes is that few seconds when she has the thought again,and if it is strong enough,it can happen very fast.Most thoughts of suicide come and go,even in people who are really depressed.One minute you are thinking very strongly about it,and two minutes later you are fine.It isn't normally something that constantly stays in your head.I don't know just what you will decide to do here littleone, but whatever you decide,you need to do it quickly.PLEASE keep me posted,okay? Take care. Marcia

Old 01-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #11
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Littleone, I just read your post. I only have a minute, but I lost someone to suicide. If they talk about it they mean it!! And if you ask them questions about it, it is not putting ideas into their head. You have to see how close she is. You need to call a suicide hotline NOW (look in the phone book or if you need me to help you find one online, let me know). I mean it, they will help you. Do it now! Then you will know you did all you could. If you have any questions, please ask.

Rosietee

Closed Thread