It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Cold Turkey Help with Heroin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
    Josh1

Josh1 HB User
    Question Cold Turkey Help with Heroin

I am getting ready to do cold turkey from heroin after months of daily use. I was clean for over 10 years and a surgery at the beginning of last year led me directly to relapse after I burnt out the doctor with refills of lortabs (7.5). I have gone through thousands of dollars and am now at my wits end. I ended up having to quit my job and am about to lose everything again. The 10 plus years of being clean were the best years of my life and I want desperately to be clean and sober again. I know that I'm going to be faced with a lot of aches and pains and about a month of sleepless nights and I need your support in anyway possible. I've managed to hide my use from family but they are becoming suspicious I'm sure. I have managed to taper down to 1 gram a day from 2 grams a day during the last week and I plan on continuing to taper until the beginning of next week (1/11). If there is anyone out there that can assist me with a cold turkey plan, I would appreciate it greatly. I really hate what I've allowed this addiction do to me. I don't even get high anymore, just manage to stay somewhat well to lessen the effects of the withdrawal. Please help me if you can. I would appreciate any suggestions and support from anyone who has experience from withdrawing from opiates. I know that I have to do cold turkey because I've failed at a treatment facility and an outpatient program. So the only thing left is cold turkey. Please help me! Thank you for listening.
    Josh

Last edited by Josh1; 01-06-2004 at 04:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User
    Re: Cold Turkey Help with Heroin

josh,ive been a chronic relapser from opiate abuse due to a chronic back problem....im currently on 60 mg of methadone daily...thank god i dont need to hit the clinic...ive got a doc who writes me the script weekly..i used heroin for the year of 1999 and if it wasnt for my dealer getting shot and killed id probably be dead...i was on bupenorphine for almost 4 years trying to kick pills and then got hooked on h and then back to pills and bupe...ive w/d'ed a zillion times and you are right about zippo sleep,ect for a month...you are gonna need a strong will/heart and support my freind....seek it out and it will find you but so will the urge since youll be strugglin...i need maintance....today im in severe pain with my back but next week it wont be hurtin that bad, but if i dont take med,ill go into w/d's...my doc is a recovery addict also and hes been a big help...i meet him weekly at a/a mtgs....like i said youll need support,theres enough around here...good luck...chef

Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
    Josh1

Josh1 HB User

Chef-
    Thanks for your encouraging support. I know I'm going to need a lot of help. I was really involved in AA before my relapse and I've started going to meetings again even though I've been using. I don't know what else to do because I love AA and I know I must tell the group about my using, which I've been avoiding doing. I even got elected GSR rep a couple of weeks ago which is really embarassing because I can't do it and I've been avoiding chairing meetings when asked. I always make some sort of excuse. What I need to do is to get honest with my group and confess that I've been using the last several months. The guilt is going to eat me up if I don't and I can't continue to be dishonest with my home group. Your message made me realize that I need to get back to rigorous honesty again with myself and others. I love AA and nearly all my friends are clean and sober. That's why I feel so ashamed at having relapsed. It's time to get honest again and I want to thank you for reminding me. As far as methadone, there is a 3-month waiting list to get into the detox clinic here and they are the only doctors authorized in CA to distribute methadone. I can't wait 3-months even though I did have them put me on the waiting list. I've done cold turkey before and it's tough but I figure if I almost live in AA and around my sober friends after I get honest, I will be able to make it by the Grace of God. Thanks again for your support.
    Josh

Old 01-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Josh, have you looked into trying Suboxone? It's just like methadone except you don't get a high from it. However, it makes the withdrawals go away and the cravings. You also don't have to go to a clinic every day. I went to my doc and he gave me a month's worth. I just went back today for my refill and he gave me three month's worth. It has been amazing for me. Only thing is... I think the withdrawals from it are as bad as methadone. But... I plan on being on it for a while so I will worry about that when it happens. It's been a wonder drug for me. I've never done heroine but I was heavy duty into lortabs. Suboxone is for heroine as well. It's just a thought and please do some research on it. Because of the withdrawals, a lot of people are regretting getting on it. They were told by the docs that they could stay on it for 6 months or so and then taper down and have little wds. Well, come to find out, that's not the case. I'm lucky in that my doc says I can stay on it for as long as I want... even life if I need to. Hopefully, that won't be the case but if it's keeping me from abusing drugs.... I don't care! If you are already into AA... you are already light years ahead of alot of other people that are using. Be honest and you know they will support you. Keep us posted!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

josh-
    Your story is one i can relate to..10 yrs. is a very long time..to be sober!Wow.now thats inspiration.Relapse..unfortunately is also part of our "disease'.
    Im a chronic relapser..several years addicted to H..w/ varying times up to 2 yrs sober from opiates.
    I relapsed in march-for 3-4 months and tried coming off c/t..no go.
    I have done cold turkey several times..just biting the bullet..maybe some benzos for the anxiety..but you know the routine-there is no magic way..to do it.Just pure abstitinence.
    I couldn't deal w/ it-and ended up seeking the help of an addictionologist to put me on suboxone.
    This has helped me carry on w/ my life-as if i never was addicted to heroin.
    Coming off the dope always sent me into months of depression-and lethagy that robbed me of any quality of life.I never could quite come out of the doldrums.
    What im suggesting to you-is if you have a real tough time coming off check out the suboxone program.
    No lines to wait in-your meds always on hand-and no CRAVINGS!Thats the killer!
    You can detox w/ this med-or maintain.I believe its worked wonders for my depression(also being used for anti-depressant).
    Please let us know how its going-good support here at healthboards..compassionate/good folks that have some great info.
    Were all in the 'same boat"..wishing you peace/luck w/ your detox.
    sister heather

Old 01-07-2004, 06:11 AM   #6
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

There are two non-addictive drugs that help with the first few days of heroin (or any opiate) withdrawal:

Klonidine/catapress, but I think you need a doctor's prescription and a plan on how much to use;

Benadryl/any form of diphenhydramine before bed to help you sleep (can get that OTC)

Old 01-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
    Josh1

Josh1 HB User

I want to thank everyone for your encouragement and support as I get ready for Sunday's cold turkey starting date. I am trying to get as much rest as possible now because I know that I'm going to be up for awhile. I'm going to try the benadryl suggestion (thank's mouse) and suboxone seems to be a new drug to this area. So the doctor's aren't familiar with it's use yet. I had a friend suggest Valerian root to help relax me. I tried some last night and it seemed to help somewhat. My orange tree is just getting ripe so I'm going to be eating a lot of oranges the next few weeks. My dog bothers me until she gets her daily walk so I'm going to try to keep walking. That seems to help more than just about anything. I love to take walks in the country with the dog. So between hot baths, walking, eating right, reading, long walks, and a lot of meetings, I believe I can do it by the Grace of God. Thanks again for all of your encouragement. Countdown begins Sunday and I'm going to try to give up nicotine at the same time by using the patch. I really appreciate your messages of encouragment.
    Josh

Closed Thread