It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Marijuana Withdrawal!?!? Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
    SoulBrotha

SoulBrotha HB User
    Marijuana Withdrawal!?!? Help

Whats Up, i posted a little bit about this on the depression board but i figure this is a better place to ask about marijuana withdrawal. I have ready various articles and have been told by a counselor that marijuana withdrawal is a real thing, but ive also been told ( by the people over at marijuana.com) that marijuana withdrawal isn't a real thing and its all in my head. But than again they are obviously gonna be biased towards the fact that weed can't cause negative effects. I started smoking about 3 years ago but really didn't do it alot until last year. I was smoking maybe twice a week, the most 3 times but felt ok when i wasn't high. During the summer i cut way back until the end of the summer when i started smoking more frequently. Thats when i started feeling unlike myself when i wasn't high. I would feel spacey, almost zombie like, fatigued, not as motivated, and anxious. When the school year started up again i started smoking even more and when wasn't High felt even worse. In fact for a small time i probably smoked more than i did last year. I started becomming paranoid that there was something physically wrong with me and started having panic attacks. Over the past few months time has seemed to be going be extremely fast and i always feel spacey and i think i have some depression, but i want to know if Marijuana Withdrawal is a real thing. I basically feel like i am still HIGH kind of, but i know im not and don't feel the fun effects of being high. I haven't smoked in exactly 3 weeks and 2 days, and the last time i did it wasn't ALOT but it was enough to get me high. I don't think weed is the ONLY CAUSE of my problem but i am wondering if any of you know if marijuana withdrawal is a real thing and can contribute to depression and what not. Any insight/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
    jamesjackson

Re: Marijuana Withdrawal!?!? Help

It takes like a month or more for it to get out of your system so see how you feel in a week or 2. Also, take a vitamin every day(centrum) and get some exercise. You cant really withdraw from marijana because its not physically addictive but it can make you feel very weird while smoking it and after you quit. i know this from experience. but dont worry you'll get back to normal soon.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

pot takes 30 - 36 days to rid your fat tissues of the thc....i too smoked alot of dope but back in 1974/75/76 and right after my dad died when i smoked i felt paranoid also/or i felt like i was talkin funny and people could notice i was high/or one time i smoked some tai stick and i thought i had a out of body experience...probably did,that was the day when columbian red was red!Anyways after i started feeli funny euphorics like that i gave it up and havent smoked the hootch since 1976...i do not beleive any human being that says there are w/d's associated with pot usage..i too beleive its in the individuals head....you should try opiate w/d's or heroin w/d's even better...then youll say pot has no w/d's.........chef

Old 01-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
    InfiniteMystery
    (female)

InfiniteMystery HB User

From what I've heard, marijuana can be addictive. I'm living with someone that definately seems to be addicted. If he goes without, he's very moody, irritable and angry. Also, I believe that marijuana is a depressant... so that can't be helping your cause.

If you're already depressed, pot it likely making it worse - so quitting is obviously a very smart idea.

Just stick with it (quitting), and take care of yourself. You should be feeling better before you know it. Exercise would probably help as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
    SoulBrotha

SoulBrotha HB User

thanks for your insight yall, im definietly never smokin chronic again

Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
    jonee0
    (male)

jonee0 HB User

Marijuana reduction or cessation is about as painful as trying to stop biting your fingernails. its in your head. Of the illegal and legal drugs, marijuana is probably the easiest to stop using. Too many people fall into a routine of partying and just feel uncomfortable breaking that routine but after a short while one finds its no big deal to moderate or stop.......its a good idea to moderate anyway because if you do enjoy marijuana, occasional use as oppsed to chronic use is much more enjoyable.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hey,SoulBrotha

Like chefob1 said, I to do not believe there are psyical wiyhdrawals from pot smoking! Or,if there are, they are very light, and gone in a day or two. The rest is just is just in your head--- moodiness, irritability,restleesness >>> these are all just in your head at this point in time. I've found, when you smoke at an indoor atmosphere, there is a much better chance of getting more stoned than you would want, and paranoia usually sets in (just my opinion).
    Where as if you had done it out side, and amongst a group of friends >>>> everything is just so "Groovy" and funny ! (Just my expierence). But, without a doubt in my mind ---- long term pot smoking will screw up alot of ,both short term and long term memory!!! So,at this point in time , you are basically free of any kind of withdrawals, Bro, you just have to get into other things that will keep your mind occupied. Since you have already "expierenced"(like Jimi Hendrix use to say !!) the "High" and liked it, the thought of it will stay with you for awhile, but slowly fade abit as more "Smoke free" time goes by!!! I liked it alot more when I would just take a hit or two, in the park, hanging with my boyz.... When you speak of "withdrawals", the people on this Board know alot more about them than you could ever imagine!! I sure hope you don't ever have to go through "the real deal".
    Just take it one day at a time, and when the urges come, recognize them, and remember you don't want it anymore, and just go play some ball, or do anything else that involves your total mind or body concentration.
    It takes one, to know one, and you are posting to alot of Ex-Smokers here on this Board.
    WE have harder problems to deal with now......
    Take Good Care, SoulBrotha
    Kinda-unwell

Old 02-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
    Paine

Paine HB User

SoulBrotha, if you're still there, it doesn't really sound like smoking pot was a large part of your life. So in that respect, I'd say you should have a fairly easy time getting off of it.

While I believe that there are no real physical withdrawl symptoms to pot, I believe there to be very strong mental ones which can be just as bad as the physical ones (without the mind, there is no body).

It all has to do with your lifestyle. For me, I smoked pot every single day, almost every single waking moment. My entire life revolved around pot. It was almost as essential as breathing. In fact, after awhile, it felt like I was breathing in more pot smoke than actual air in a day. Then one day I quit cold turkey. So you can imagine how difficult it is to make such a drastic lifestyle change. To me it feels like trying to stop breathing, because it was such a big part of my life.

It's somewhat similar to ppl trying to lose weight. It's hard for them because it is a drastic lifestyle change. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's something that was a major part of your life, of course you will have a hard time giving it up. I don't think whether something has physical withdrawl symptoms or not necessarily determines how difficult it will be to get off of it, I think what ultimately determines it is how willing you are make that drastic lifestyle change.

Closed Thread