It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Who's awake on this Graveyard Shift???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #61
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User
    Re: Who's awake on this Graveyard Shift???

Michelle,
    Hello - kinda mentioned your meeting with the inlaws? How did it go?
    How about an invite for chicken and dumplings too? Have no idea what to expect!!! How about haggis in return? LOL
    Keep well
    Y

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #62
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Oh Kinda,
    I wasn't fussing at you about your remark about the "frigid churches..."just playing with you! I didn't make chicken and dumplings, instead I made grilled sausage and squash with fettucini alfredo. My kids were asking though, "Where are the chicken and dumplings?' Just ran out of time....You can come for lunch anytime, but you have to sit in the front row with me at church! You know I love ya, Yankee!

Yinsky,
    You can come, too!

Doing okay- the inlaws did not come last night. Instead, my husband and four year old went over there. So, didn't have to deal with that. WWhheeww!

Like I said, Kinda, don't jinx me, I am not through with this battle yet!

I'll check in later, my one year old is crying,
    michelle

Old 01-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #63
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yinksy
    Hey a shaken up cool dude kinda unwell,

(Called you a footie - as in football - as you are going to be bounced from doctor to doctor??!!)

Calling me a prod will get you nowhere! Is that the best insult you can hurl at me? Naw - afraid I am stuck with the old religion - all bells and smells! Well - today was the miracle of the marriage feast at Cana! LOL Beat that?

OK - wont shout at you today! Well - might later!

Tales from the old days? Like the time during confirmation when we were all carrying candles and I lit the veil of the girl in front and set the whole place on fire! NOT funny! That girl became my bridesmaid - would you believe!!!!
    But there are so many tales of convent school girl life I wouldnt know where to begin. Give me some time..................

Hey - did you read the terrible news in the papers this morning? - an awful tragedy in Dublin - the Irish National Library has been burned down - desperate news - both books have been destroyed and one hasn't even been coloured in yet!

Am going to get offline now. My daughter has just phoned - she is down south at university and has managed to cut off the top of her finger - so I told her to get along to Accident and Emergency asap. Poor kid has exams tomorrow!

Hey Kinda - you got kids?

yer Irish Eyes!

Okay, you win, Yinksy!!!

I'm not about to lock horns with AN Irish Lass,from the good ole sod, especially if she has flaming Red Hair. LOL!!! And I'm sorry about the"Prod" crack too, sometimes these old words come out out of my mouth (FINGERS) without me realizing it. You must remember I had to attend every ST. Patricks Day parade in all my younger years. When I got to be around 16 or so (I had been drinking long before that! ) my father would allow me to sit in the back rooms (serving beers mostly) of the Main Queens,Irish bar (pub) and listen to some of the speakers who had come over from Ireland illegally to give us "the real news" about what was going on in the north, and what "the Black and Tan" were really doing to our Catholic brothers and sisters (and children too!!) I heard about it on sundays, when my mom use to think I be attending Mass (yeah,right!!!) She was Scotts Irish and a real loving and caring Mother ( I'll never know why she put up with him all those years, and she would never tell us why...But one thing I know, he never did hit her. He broke alot of chairs and walls, not to mention his wrists and hands, and she would always fix him up talk softly to him and when it was over, he would just go into the living and watch TV alone ), but that never got talked about too much in the house. My father use to make her say she was only Irish from the western parts,whenever his drinking buddies came over to the house. After a while, I just got plain ole sick of hearing them. It seemed they just didn't just hate the Brits And Scotts, But they seemed to hate everybody who wasn't "like them". Well,I knew deep down I wasn't like them. The leaders, besides "some' of their lies, half -truths, and false bravado, were mainly there to ask for money and guns. At the end of the meetings , when they had what they came for,my job was to walk out the back door go up the alley and signal the young trucker to pull his rig out into the Middle of MAIN STREET, blocking traffic in all directions. This gave the men time enough to walk to where their cars and vans were parked and dissapear. Once or twice I rode with these 'SO-Called" leaders to the next borough and another meeting, I guess so it would look like a boy ,his father and his uncles going for a Sunday drive. While the men in the back were counting the money, I could hear and sometimes see the guns they had in the bags. Good thing we never got pulled over. They use to tell me what agood 'boy' I was and when I got alittle older I could come back with them to Ireland one day and learn how to kill Brits, to become a real man, and then they go off into singing their songs. One day while I was at home, and my father passed-out drunk on the couch, a knock came at our door, just as our phone started to ring. It startled me ,so I only opened the door with the heavy- duty chain still on it. Some guy in a suit was standing there and he said he was a friend of my fathers and needed to see him. I took one look at this well shaven, clean cut looking man in a suit and right away I new he was no friend of me dads. So I told him I had just woken up (I was still in my underwear ) and no one was here. He asked if he could come in and I said "hell no, what are you, *****". He just turned and left. While I was putting on my Levis and sneakers, the phone rang again and this time I answered it, almost falling down, I was so nerverous. This noise,combined, finally woke my father. Anyway, it was one of me boys on the phone and he said there were was a car parked up by the corner, with 2 guys in it and they had acamera with a long lense on it, and they seemed to be watching my house.I told hin to wait for me on the other side of the block. Then I went in and told me father everything. even though he had a hangover, he still changed clothes quickly, grab abunch of money,gave me some and patted me on the head and told me he had to go. He wanted me to take their attention off the house for a minute or two, so I said Yeah that would be no problem.I went up the stairs .jumped from roof to roof (we always did this as kids when playing games)and when I got to the other side of the block where my friend was waiting for me, I shimmied down the drain pole, and told him to go along with my story. I knocked on the superintendent's house. When the wife answered (of course she knew us,and our parents ) I told her Shawn and me were stopped by two strange men in a car and they had cameras ,and would pay us money if we got into their car and took our clothes off for them to take pictures. Shawn almost burst out laughing, but he held it in. she brought us into the house and i had to repeat the story to Frank her husband. he was old and hard of hearing, but he had been a soldier in WW1 and he was big and not afraid. He goes into his room and comes out with his bayonet tucked in his pants and a baseball bat in his hand. He takes one look at his wife and says"No Cops", then he turns around to me and says"Where are they". While we are walking toward then and I am putting on a crying act act He says to me "Don't worry, I'll take care of these guys".He walks right over to the passenger side of the car and smashes the bat across the windshield, and puts the bayonette up against the guys throat with the camera still in his hand and says something like " We know how to take care of men like you", and in one motion he grabs the camera out of the agents and ttrows it into the middle of the street. as the driver starts to get out the other side of the car and goes to pull his gun out ,alot of neighbors who had been watching this happening from their windows started running over, and some of them were off duty cops who knew the superintendent ,but not these two guys in the car. alot of commotion and confusion was going on and a couple of guns were being pulled out. By the time these FBI guys got their ID's checked and were unhandcuffed. My dad was long gone..... Even though they tried to say what they were doing here with the camera some of the older Irish wise guys started throwing rocks and cans at them, that they just got back into their smashed up car and speeded away. everyone came around Shawn and me saying "you poor boys, did they touch you anywhere" and" i'm gonns call their supervisor"...

Shawn and I just went over and sat on his roof
    top , got really stoned and laughed and laughed......Just another summer day back in the 1960's.........

Now ya see, yinksy, growing up for me was alittle different than most boys, but I always kept it all behind these "lying Blue Irish Eyes" of mine. LOL!!! But I don't lie when I give some one my word. And I give you my "Word" that I wasn't triing to disrepect you, or to cause you any hard-feelings about me..... I'll watch me tonge a little better
    next time. To me nowadays,it makes no-difference about reliegion, color or culture. I am ME, not my father....... Understand,yinksy..

(Don't leave me in the VOID )

Kinda-unwell

Old 01-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #64
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John 3:16
    Oh Kinda,
    I wasn't fussing at you about your remark about the "frigid churches..."just playing with you! I didn't make chicken and dumplings, instead I made grilled sausage and squash with fettucini alfredo. My kids were asking though, "Where are the chicken and dumplings?' Just ran out of time....You can come for lunch anytime, but you have to sit in the front row with me at church! You know I love ya, Yankee!

Yinsky,
    You can come, too!

Doing okay- the inlaws did not come last night. Instead, my husband and four year old went over there. So, didn't have to deal with that. WWhheeww!

michelle

John 3:16

I can eat anything Southern as long as they ain't Pig's feet,or hot,hot,hot!!!
    And you'll have to put yinksy right up in front too!!! Oh, and one more thing, can I wear my MP3 player in case things get kinda boring! I once had a "Dreadrd NUN' find me wearing an ear wire from one of those little radios listening to a yankee daygame, while we were waiting in line to do pennanace. She damm near ripped my ear off!! And she said now I would have to do extra pennance. I said "why, I thought God was a Yankee fan" !!!!LOL!! Extra Detention that day.......>>>>Sorry yinksy, i hope that accident was not too serious with your daughter down south....

Anyway, Michelle, its all my fault. I shouldn't make talk like that. I"m not that way anymore. Hell, I 've gotten into some arguments and fights over comments made about my wife,so I should know better, even if I'm in a frisky kind of mood, playing with someone. Forgive this poor, penniless,Wandering`Irish Lad, who truly meant you no harm....LOL!!!

(AN uncontrolable repentant Irishman )
    Kinda-unwell

Old 01-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #65
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Oh I know how your are....that's why I said "I love ya..."

You always make me smile, so I don't get angry at you too much!

My husband and I have a sitter for tonight and we are going to see "Along Came Polly..." I am so excited! So, I'll have to check in with ya'll tomorrow unless I am awake again at 2:30 in the morning like last night! Take care and TRY, TRY, TRY to get some sleep sometime tonight.

Talk with you soon,
    michelle

Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #66
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Hey a shaken up cool dude kinda unwell,

(Called you a footie - as in football - as you are going to be bounced from doctor to doctor??!!)

Calling me a prod will get you nowhere! Is that the best insult you can hurl at me? Naw - afraid I am stuck with the old religion - all bells and smells! Well - today was the miracle of the marriage feast at Cana! LOL Beat that?

OK - wont shout at you today! Well - might later!

Tales from the old days? Like the time during confirmation when we were all carrying candles and I lit the veil of the girl in front and set the whole place on fire! NOT funny! That girl became my bridesmaid - would you believe!!!!
    But there are so many tales of convent school girl life I wouldnt know where to begin. Give me some time..................

Hey - did you read the terrible news in the papers this morning? - an awful tragedy in Dublin - the Irish National Library has been burned down - desperate news - both books have been destroyed and one hasn't even been coloured in yet!

Am going to get offline now. My daughter has just phoned - she is down south at university and has managed to cut off the top of her finger - so I told her to get along to Accident and Emergency asap. Poor kid has exams tomorrow!

Hey Kinda - you got kids?

yer Irish Eyes!

Hey yinksy

I hope your daughter's accident was not really that bad. But you seemed very upset ....... I wish her my best!!

As I was telling you before, I didn't mean anything personal by what I said before.....I put a post somewhere in this thread that kinda explains some of it. I hope you are able to find it. You are too good of a friend (me Lass )to be upset with me.... Besides, it wasn't me that burnt-down the Bloody Church !! LOL!! But for real, find that other post of mine and read it. It shows i've come a long way from how I was taught....... And thats because of meeting people like you fromall over the world.....

(So everything is "Cool" right" )

(Just rocking back and forth )

Kinda-unwell

Old 01-18-2004, 02:50 PM   #67
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindaunwell
    Hey yinksy

I hope your daughter's accident was not really that bad. But you seemed very upset ....... I wish her my best!!

As I was telling you before, I didn't mean anything personal by what I said before.....I put a post somewhere in this thread that kinda explains some of it. I hope you are able to find it. You are too good of a friend (me Lass )to be upset with me.... Besides, it wasn't me that burnt-down the Bloody Church !! LOL!! But for real, find that other post of mine and read it. It shows i've come a long way from how I was taught....... And thats because of meeting people like you fromall over the world.....

(So everything is "Cool" right" )

(Just rocking back and forth )

Kinda-unwell
    Hey Just rocking back and forth kinda-unwell,

We have all come a long way from how we were taught? Along the way - the road has just got a bit bumpy sometimes?
    Nothing personal ever taken!
    Keep well, my friend
    yer lass

Old 01-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #68
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Hey Just rocking back and forth kinda-unwell,

We have all come a long way from how we were taught? Along the way - the road has just got a bit bumpy sometimes?
    Nothing personal ever taken!
    Keep well, my friend
    yer lass

The rocking stops as he reads her post.Alas, a smile appears behind those blue eyes. Now that all is well again, between the ocean's shores, it is time to sleeeeep....

Old 01-18-2004, 03:19 PM   #69
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Kinda
    Perhaps tis I who should apologise to you? Who knows? But for sure - you have kissed the Blarney stone!
    I have read these posts backwards tonight.
    Your story is very poignant - and one I have heard - but in a slightly different context - over here and during my childhood! No - I didnt experience the brutal reality as you did - but second hand - I heard those very same stories from Drogheda. A relative who had to pay his protection money to the IRA or suffer the loss of his knee caps. What you wrote tonight - I have always imagined happening in America. Always reckoned that the huge funds that came from the "pseudo-Irish" in America were so misplaced (stupid word). If only, if only, those people had really known what was going on back in "God's own country"? Oh - Kinda - I could bore you rigid now with such stories.............. but wont! Enough to say - that just perhaps now - Ireland is progressing and someday that will all just be history? I was so lucky to have a pure-bred anglo saxon for a mother! She wouldnt allow things to be promoted in our home! LOL
    Mind you - the civil rights denied to groups in Ireland was all too real. I suspect I would have joined up to fight the cause had I been born in different circumstances! Would have marched with Michael Collins?
    Away with you now.................

My daughter - she is fine - sporting a large bandage on her finger - her right hand of course - how she will fare in her exams tomorrow?

Kinda - you just keep on rockin'.......... back and forth, back and forth............................... Just maybe you will decide the chasm is not for you? You can join me on the mountaintops instead? The Mountains of Mourne even?
    Y

Old 01-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #70
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Quote:
    The rocking stops as he reads her post.Alas, a smile appears behind those blue eyes. Now that all is well again, between the ocean's shores, it is time to sleeeeep....
    Aye, for sure - he has kissed the Blarney stone!
    Dream on..............
    Y

Old 01-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #71
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John 3:16
    Oh Kinda,

Yinsky,
    You can come, too!

michelle
    Michelle
    Wow - an invite to dinner? Yes please! And I'll bring the haggis and whisky!

There is no way anyone is going to jinx you, Michelle! You are on your way to freedom - it is so obvious! You are taking this battle head on - and you will slay the beast! Woops - better lay off the whisky meself tonight! Seriously though - you are a fighter - you see what lies ahead of you and aren't afraid to tackle the problems! You will win!

Y

Old 01-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #72
    BadAttitude

BadAttitude HB User

Hi, Kinda
    Well I am taking a break from studying so I thought that I would check in an see how everyone was doing. Kinda I like you can't sleep at night I think it was a lot of things that have made me that way, as I came from a very abusive back ground, not only alcohol but child and spousal abuse. I have dealt with those issues other wise I would never have been able to have put the bottle down but I know that they still affect my life on a daily basis in decesions that I made and the way I look at life in general. I know I was thinking last night why I don't like to sleep at night and I remember that I was always a scared of going to bed at night it's because you can not see in the dark and then I remember that I was attacked by my ex-husband once when I was sleeping and beat because he was drunk. I also realized that I can not sleep with my left rib cage exposed either as he cracked my ribs when he attacked because my rib cage was exposed. Even thoght these things are not part of my life right now I realize that I will never be able to erase them from my thought pattern. Is this something in your past that maybe you associate with sleeping, I know that this is reaching but somethings that we don't even think are affecting us do when we least expect it to and in ways that we never thought it would affect us.
    Glad to see that your last few posts have seemed more upbeat. Well talk to you when I can. And please do not over medicate please try to get off all of these sleeping meds as soon as you can.
    Love & Happiness
    ~Autumn~

"THE ONLY LIMITATIONS WE HAVE ARE THE ONES WE IMPOSE ON OURSELVES."

~AUTUMN~

Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #73
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Hi guys
    Autumn & Kinda
    I will most willingly leave the night to you!
    Kinda - think summit not chasm? peak not valley? Let go and fly?
    Tis well past midnight here and I must away now to the arms of Morpheus!
    Y

Old 01-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #74
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Quote:
    Hey, Rosie

How ya doing???. Are you still celebrating your Husband's Birthday?? Tell him "Happy Birthday" from all your Board friends, and we thank him for sticking by you as you go through your "ordeal"...... Let me know when you are back on-line, or did your computer Conk-out after making all that noise,like you said.

Take Good Care, Rosie

(As he prepares for his shift)

Kinda-unwell

Hi, Kinda, I'm sure you'll come back to this graveyard thread, even though I am posting way after you posted, as I got a little behind and then missed your post on the first go-round. Thanks for thinking of me as a "Board friend". (I'm sure you just said it in passing, but it makes me feel less alone when people who know about my situation have accepted me.)

Husband's birthday went pretty well. A good friend took us to lunch with a couple of our staff for his birthday. It was a pretty nice place with an outdoor patio. Adventure of the day was . . . my oldest was playing with her little dolls underneath the table and one of them went down a hole in the leg ("Aurora! Aurora!"). I lost a fork down there too, trying to get Aurora out. Finally, had to just clear the table and have the busboy turn it upside down to free her. That night we just went to a kid-friendly type place for dinner with the girls for his birthday dinner.

Also, thanks for sharing your story with me, and we look forward to having you out here in sunny California; if you're so inclined you can read some of my geographical history: my first/late husband was from a military family and had done the Fort Ord thing as well and he grew up in Garden Grove. His dad was a West Point grad and retired army colonel (who later drank himself to death). I think I may have told you before I grew up in Maryland (on the Chesapeake Bay), went to college in upstate New York and then lived in the City for 1 and 1/2 years before moving out to so-cal in late 1987. I went to grad school in Los Angeles and moved back to Orange County. My husband died in 1995, I met my current husband in late 1997 when he hired me (I was still talking about my first husband all the time, although I did have a boyfriend). A deep friendship developed and both of our relationships had gone south and we started dating in 1999, getting married in 2000, having a baby in 2001 and another in 2002. My husband had actually been married very young for 10 years, and his wife decided she did not want to have kids, while he definitely wanted to have them. My husband and I live down south again, but spent a couple years up in San Francisco and then Santa Clara county, before moving back down here, to be near his family (his mother was very ill). We are here to stay! We have already done our share of moving even since we have been back down here and can add on to our house if we need a bigger one.

I just love New York City, but have to admit it is nice being able to drive up into a driveway to get to our house and it is still only 5 miles to our office. I cannot imagine lugging babies around in NYC, but living there was very very fun when I was young. The weather there was a piece of cake compared to upstate, which was ridiculous (although I must admit to an umbrella turning inside out walking down Wall Street one morning). Nothing was ever closed for the weather upstate (I was waaay upstate), or it would have to be closed for the entire winter.

I don't miss my family in Maryland; with them, distance makes the heart grow fonder than it would otherwise be.

Okay, now that I have cured any insomnia you might have thought have having for the evening, I have got to go. Thanks for thinking of my computer; it is still hanging in there like me.

Oh, and Ddana, if you have read this far, I am proud of you for decreasing your dosage, and almost as importantly, for documenting your dosage, which is hard for me as well.

Love you guys,
    rosie

Old 01-18-2004, 10:40 PM   #75
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadAttitude
    Hi, Kinda
    Well I am taking a break from studying so I thought that I would check in an see how everyone was doing. Kinda I like you can't sleep at night I think it was a lot of things that have made me that way, as I came from a very abusive back ground, not only alcohol but child and spousal abuse. I have dealt with those issues other wise I would never have been able to have put the bottle down but I know that they still affect my life on a daily basis in decesions that I made and the way I look at life in general. I know I was thinking last night why I don't like to sleep at night and I remember that I was always a scared of going to bed at night it's because you can not see in the dark and then I remember that I was attacked by my ex-husband once when I was sleeping and beat because he was drunk. I also realized that I can not sleep with my left rib cage exposed either as he cracked my ribs when he attacked because my rib cage was exposed. Even thoght these things are not part of my life right now I realize that I will never be able to erase them from my thought pattern. Is this something in your past that maybe you associate with sleeping, I know that this is reaching but somethings that we don't even think are affecting us do when we least expect it to and in ways that we never thought it would affect us.
    Glad to see that your last few posts have seemed more upbeat. Well talk to you when I can. And please do not over medicate please try to get off all of these sleeping meds as soon as you can.
    Love & Happiness
    ~Autumn~

Hey, BadAttitude

So how is my "shift partner" doing this morning ???? Sorry I came on late, but guess what----- I was actually sleeping in bed with my wife last night. A fter supper, we were kinda watching TV, and I began to nod a little (no pills ), when she said "lets just lay down,Baby and talk." After about 20 min., I drifted off to sleep and didn't wake up until 12:45 AM. WOW!!! Thats a first, in quite a while----- natural sleep, with crazy dreams and all.!! Thats the way it should be, right?????

so, Auttumn, if you are awake, give me a buzz !!! I'll wait afew minutes for your responce.......

(wide awake,now ) Kinda-unwell

Closed Thread