It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• excedrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
    janicepowers
    (female)

janicepowers HB User
    excedrin

Ok, I have a really dumb question. Is it possible to be physically addicted to Excedrin? The reason I ask is that for the past ten or so years, I have taken anywhere from 4-8 excedrins everyday. I have a lot of headaches and finally decided to go to the doc and ask about them. But when I told him how much excedrin i take, he kinda freaked out. I also take 1-2 Benadryls every night to get to sleep. I know this is in no way comparable to the pain you guys are experiencing, but I could use an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    Re: excedrin

I think it is possible for a person to get addicted to just about anything. You know, my neurologist told me that you can get rebound headaches after taking medication (even over the counter) for a number of years. Sounds like that is what you are experiencing! Or it could be psychological, too. After I cold-turkey from a stint of pain meds, I would take alot of Execdrin Migraine- I would have a slight headache, but I think it was more of the fact that I was just taking something- does that make sense?

What did your doctor do about it?

Michelle

Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janicepowers
    Ok, I have a really dumb question. Is it possible to be physically addicted to Excedrin? The reason I ask is that for the past ten or so years, I have taken anywhere from 4-8 excedrins everyday. I have a lot of headaches and finally decided to go to the doc and ask about them. But when I told him how much excedrin i take, he kinda freaked out. I also take 1-2 Benadryls every night to get to sleep. I know this is in no way comparable to the pain you guys are experiencing, but I could use an answer.
    My mother takes alot of excedrin a day ~ probably around the same amount that you take.
    I have often wondered if she was "hooked" on them.
    She said that the caffeine in them gives her a buzz.
    I agree with michelle, you can get hooked on just about anything.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
    janicepowers
    (female)

janicepowers HB User

He wrote me a prescription for some type of mild pain killer, I don't remember what. they didnt really work well, I never went back because I was just stunned at his reaction. They don't give me any kind of buzz, etc., but if I dont take them, I start to feel achy all over, kind of like I am coming down with something. I can't really tell anyone, I am scared of what they will say. I know it isn't a wise thing to be taking so many everyday. My stomach burns and I think i have acid reflux. they aren't helping the situation.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Are you looking for a buzz? Just curious as you made the remark, "They don't give me any type of buzz...."

That is alot of acetaminophin for your liver and aspirin for your stomach. You really need to taper down.

Anything stressful going on in your life? Problems? Or are you truly having that many headaches?

Michelle

Closed Thread