It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• drug induced psychosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
    over
    Inactive

over HB User
    drug induced psychosis

I've been lurking around for quite a while now and am interested in any feedback that anyone may have to offer. I've been reading about "drug induced psychosis" and would like anyone to elaborate on the subject. I currently take 20-30 Lortabs a day depending on the day. I honestly feel that I experience the "psychosis" and frankly am tired of the Lortabs robbing me of my life. I am a single mother and need to care for my children.

I have an appointment with a suboxone doctor and actually quite nervous about my appointment this coming Monday. I only have enough Lortabs to last until Monday. What should I expect? I do not take any benzos but do take Neurontin for sleep.

Thank you.

Over It!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
    Natasha1981

Natasha1981 HB User
    Re: drug induced psychosis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by over
    I've been lurking around for quite a while now and am interested in any feedback that anyone may have to offer. I've been reading about "drug induced psychosis" and would like anyone to elaborate on the subject. I currently take 20-30 Lortabs a day depending on the day. I honestly feel that I experience the "psychosis" and frankly am tired of the Lortabs robbing me of my life. I am a single mother and need to care for my children.

I have an appointment with a suboxone doctor and actually quite nervous about my appointment this coming Monday. I only have enough Lortabs to last until Monday. What should I expect? I do not take any benzos but do take Neurontin for sleep.

Thank you.

Over It!
    Whoa, that is a LOT of lortabs! They are narcotics so it's no wonder you may feel a bit "off" in a sense. IMO unless you really still need them you should start to taper off them. Are you using them for anxiety or pain? You could use a benzo for sleep or anxiety or another non-narcotic for the pain, but it sounds to me as if you're addicted.

Psychosis is very serious and it causes a person to lose touch with reality. If you ever have a psychotic episode I'd check yourself into the ER immediately, because it can be dangerous for you and your loved ones.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

there is a big difference in what you arre desrcibing and drug induced physcosis...i was on bupenorphine for opiate addiction..called buprenex,it was muscsle injectable and i was taking serax,benzo, and restoril for sleep...i ran out of the buprenex one day and took hydrocodone to ease the w/d's and took the serax and restoril although i shouldnt have,didnt really need to....anyways i went up to the store to get two drinks for my kids and that was the last thing i remebered...i went into a drug phsychosis and pulled over and started to pull weeds on the side of a higheway....i didnt know who i was,where i was,ect....i was arrested and taken to the hospital...because i had mixed the bupenorphine which is a atagonist/antagonist and hydro's plus the benzos it put my brain into major alice in wonderland...i learned never to mix the meds....after all,i was takin the bupe to get off the opiates but it is an opiate also plus the other meds for anxiety and sleep...you have found adddiction is a pain...i was taking 50 lortabs a day,plus developed other opiate addictions...if you follow the program right,the suboxone will keep you away from the pain meds...it is a pain med also with different characteristics...but it will help you...you will also become dependant on it or will go into w/d's....my suggestion is do not take any oyther meds than what they prescribe for you...it will help you think positive again,help with depression that goes along with opiate addiction since it robs us of the brain chemical seretonin...get into a/a or n/a or some type of recovery program along with the medication and you may have success beating this disease....addiction is different than drug induced physcosis....chef

Old 01-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
    rockingham

rockingham HB User

over,

i think your mind is just working in overdrive and you are just very nervous about this because it is an unknown. everyone will get upset, nervous, worried and scared over these things they have not experienced before. its just an unknown and your mind is anxious about the fact. i dont believe you are experiencing a drug psychosis, more just a case of letting your mind race into overdrive and a lot of simple worry because your scared of what may happen. your reaction is normal. you will be ok over. please dont stop now because the suboxone is going to help and will change your life for the better in many ways!!!

one more point i want you to be clear on. before taking the suboxone you need to be in withdrawal. no matter if its full blown withdrawal symptoms or just the beginnings of withdrawal but this point is an important one. just be sure you dont take the pills right up until you leave for the doctors office. stop several hours before its time to go in. you might feel uncomfortable but i promise the suboxone will work when you do get to his office. you will be feeling better within 30-60 minutes of taking the medicine. this part of the treatment plan is very important, DO NOT FORGET TO STOP TAKING THE LORTABS SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT!

Old 01-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
    over
    Inactive

over HB User

Certainly I take the Lortabs for pain. Initially started out as one pill but as everyone knows it doesn't stay that way. One pill ends up to be 50 pills way later down the road. I have never been addicted to any drug ever and am actually flabbergasted and disgusted with myself that I can't overcome this debilitating dependency. I don't even like Xanax at all except for the very occasional pill for sleep.

Thank you Chefob1 for your explanation of drug induced phsychosis. I actually haven't experienced what you had illustrated however, my brain at times just does not seem 100% right. I don't ever want to experience that.

So it is true that depression often accompanies the opiate addiction? I feel depressed, melancholy and basically hopeless. Does those emotions of desolation and desperation depart when you are clean of opiates in your system? I've been on them for about a year now. My normal demeanor and disposition before this fiasco is of a happy, bubbily and positive personality. I am so scared that I have lost that. My other "Sybil" personalities have started to show with my family and it has started to raised red flag.

Thank you for any help that anyone can provide.

Over It

Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Over it - you will see that when you start on Suboxone, it will drastically help with depression. I've heard that it's being tested for an antidepressant and I believe - way back when, that opiates were actually prescribed in the 50's for depression (don't know if that's true or not) but I can promise you, for me the Suboxone has helped me with everything. I'm back to my normal self again... I haven't felt like this since I was in my early twenties... before all of the depression and drugs began. You will LOVE it.

Old 01-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #7
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

Over-
    They pass..but i think the pathways really do change and chemical inbalances can occur(due to messin'w/ nature..chemically)..so-just from my personal exp. after 8 yrs of doing opiates..i am mostly a mess..i function..go to work/shop/cook/im a mom..to a 19 yr. old..walk the dog write the bills..but thats it..personally i think i caused brain damage and ive never really came out of my depression.
    But yes..this comes w/ using opiates and many people i know have come out of it and are happy/feeling good.
    I hear ya on the depression..im on psych meds.but the suboxone helps alot w/ the mood swings.Kills 2 bird..etc.
    I hope you find some peace..im gonna take a bath-put on jammies..and cozy up w/ my pug.
    Life isn't that bad.
    Hold on/have faith.
    Grace will follow.
    sister heather

Old 01-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

JUst wanted to quickly comment on this one. I suffered from depression way before I tried opiates, so they are not necessarily to blame, but they do cause depression and take a long time to get out of your system.

rosie

Old 01-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
    huppy

huppy HB User

over I honestly think were you have been taking them for only a year,(That is not a shot time,but some have been taking them for years)you will be just fine,expecially were you were very happy before this,that does count,if you don't drink,and have not done other drugs before this,I mean really into drugs,the body is truly amazing at making itself right,I don't think your brain is opiate soaked,hell you have not been taking 20-30 a day for a year you worked up to that,right? I have been there,last august tapered down down to 30-40 I was taking them for bursitis,but saw myself abusing all the way up to the 10-15 a day,and put a stop to it,you can too. I went almost a month without,but was taking way too much tylenol,another reason I stopped the hydro for fear of the liver,so anyway I went back to them but not like I was taking them,I now take 4-6 a day and now am working on getting of that,only because of the stories I read here BLESS YOU ALL 4-6 a day since oct. with a few ups in between,but any way when I was not taking them,I had no depression at all,like you I was happy,not happy happy lol but pretty good but I feared depression also and wds that is why I was afraid to stop,alot of this is just were afraid,well you have a little bit to fear cause it is no fun stopping or tapering trust me,but fear is the worse enemy,(I am not talking big addictions or long term use,I am not downplaying this by no means trust me) But I think overs' problem was not to long,I think over you will be ok,I spoke with someone that is a med. student and he said for me anyway that I would most likely be alright,people that usually have problems with the brains chemistry have been using for years,and have altered it in some way,and were depressed to start out with,I trusted he was right so I plunged and went with the taper still being afraid of the depression,thankfully no depression,now I just have to get this 4 aday down to none aday. But please do it now,so you won't be going on 2 years talking like this,then you may get into some problems,listen to the stories here that is what has saved me these brave people,I am so afraid of wds it is not funny,but look at John,chef all of them,if they can do it ,so can we.You must have faith,and tell yourself you will not be depressed,your not years into this get OUT now,you will be fine,I could go on and on lol,good luck huppy,ps I am going to start tom. with 4 a day for a week then 2 the next,then 1 I hope.

Closed Thread