It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• question for subutex users

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
    over
    Inactive

over HB User
    question for subutex users

Hi everyone!

I went to see subutex dr on monday and have been on it for the last day and a half. I started off with 6 mg but had to take 8 mg (4 tabs) yesterday because it was my first true day off hydro I felt so crappy that I took an extra one (doctor said instructed me to do so). Although, I did take a xanax 1mg to help me sleep yesterday. I almost never take xanax for anything, but only rarely for sleep. However, I don't feel as great as everyone here on the board has been saying about being on the subutex. Don't get me wrong, it has helped me tremondously with the withdrawls, but I just don't feel like 100%. The only withdrawl symptom that I have is a severe headache, almost migraine like.

I have been getting some severe headaches though and the headaches do subside when I take a subutex. The doctor did give me a script for clondodine for blood pressure that I'm supposed to take in addition which I haven't at all. His nurse stated that should help with the headache..??

Did anyone else experience what I've been?

Thank you.
    Over it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
    Re: question for subutex users

I definitely did not feel 100% during the first few days but I did feel better. I've heard that subutex/suboxone can cause headaches sometimes but they go away after you stay on it for a couple of weeks. I would just give it a little time. Not sure why he prescribed the clonidine when the Subutex should do the trick. I promise you, give it just two weeks and you will feel better. Remember, there is no high associated with it but it will make you feel normal. It's very difficult to describe. I have been on it for almost 2 and 1/2 months now and I feel really, really good so I would just give it a little time. How long does he want you on it? Are you using it just to detox or for maintenance? If you have a problem with chronic relapses, I would highly recommend it for maintenance. It has saved my life. You will see... just give it a little more time. Can you take 8 mgs every day? Also, the first few nights I did have trouble sleeping and had to take xanax too... just be careful and don't take more xanax than prescribed as the two in high doses can be dangerous. However, now...I'm soooo tired at night when i sit down to watch T.V. Again, I'm sure you will feel the same way. Just give it a week at the most. I guarantee you will be doing better. As far as the headaches go, just hang in there... they will get better too. You're doing great.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
    over
    Inactive

over HB User

Thank you Banker1151 for those kind words. The headaches were scaring me and I thought that I couldn't take the Subutex anymore because it was a side effect. The Sub doctor wants to see me later this evening. I beleive that I will feel better, but right now I want my hydros bad!! I plan to go completely off them, but don't want to be on the Subutex for much longer than a few weeks to a month. We'll see...Have to go. I want to talk to you further about ADD or ADHD, I read about one of your postings from last year, but can't do it right now.

Over IT.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
    LaynesADDICTI0N

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

This drug is trial and error right now because it is very new, if you've been on this board for a while a few months ago the word suboxone was like another language. Like methadone users if you are in pain while on methadone maintenance they'll usually just put you on more methadone, that's why the doctor told you to take another subutex because buprenorphine is still a CIII narcotic so it is a pain medication. Hang in there, things just might get better but dont blow off any side effects, if you feel something is not right, nag your doc, blow up this message board, we're all here to help but it's not safe to make a promises because a few years of placebo will tell nothing about short or long term effects of this drug. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Cade

Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Over - what did your doctor say? Be sure to tell him honestly if you are craving those hydros. I didn't really crave that much but after about 2 weeks - I never craved at all and still don't. People have offered them to me and I didn't think twice about saying 'no thanks'. Let us know what happened and how you are feeling now.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaynesADDICTI0N
    This drug is trial and error right now because it is very new, if you've been on this board for a while a few months ago the word suboxone was like another language. Like methadone users if you are in pain while on methadone maintenance they'll usually just put you on more methadone, that's why the doctor told you to take another subutex because buprenorphine is still a CIII narcotic so it is a pain medication. Hang in there, things just might get better but dont blow off any side effects, if you feel something is not right, nag your doc, blow up this message board, we're all here to help but it's not safe to make a promises because a few years of placebo will tell nothing about short or long term effects of this drug. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Cade
    Cade, what is your opinion on the pain-relieving properties of the subutex? I will go on it if my taper is unsuccessful (so far I am still decreasing, but I know I need to go to more meetings.) But I do have legitimate pain issues as well.

thanks for any info,
    rosie

Old 01-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
    LaynesADDICTI0N

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

is it RNS pain, how bad is the pain, they switch a lot of people over to methadone if the pain is that bad. Let me know

Cade

Old 01-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaynesADDICTI0N
    is it RNS pain, how bad is the pain, they switch a lot of people over to methadone if the pain is that bad. Let me know

Cade
    Probably not, as I don't know what that is??? Still decreasing the dose and will start going to more meetings and hopefully drug-free (except for anti-depressants).

rosie

Closed Thread