It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hydrocodone Addiction & Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
    kennyv519

kennyv519 HB User
    Hydrocodone Addiction & Recovery

Hello to all...i'm a new user here and would like to say hello to everyone and would like share my experiences with all of you with the hope they may be of help. I have already read thru alot of postings here and have gained a good deal of info from you all.

Ok, my situation...

Last January I discovered the online physician! I was post op after my fifth right shoulder surgery and my doctor simply was not giving me enough pain meds. I ended up at that time, signing up with TWO op's and getting Hydrocodone from both. I know, doctor shopping... Anyway, I took Hydros from January until May starting around four a day and ended up around nine in the end. I decided to stop cold turkey and get my life in order. BIG MISTAKE!! My God was I sick! I have never in my life had an addiction problem and don't even drink! This, however, grabbed me and would not let go! I saw my regular doctor in early June and asked for help. He prescribed Clonidine which helped right away with the withdrawals. In fact, I only needed to be on it for four days before feeling better! It was still hard staying off the Hydro and with me being out of work plus injured, there wasn't alot for me to do to get my mind off the stuff.

Round two.....

At the start of July, I started having shoulder problems again. Two more surgeries were completed by October. Again, I started using Hydros again in early July and this time signed on with THREE separate op's each giving 120 pill scripts! I went from 6-7 a day to 15-16 per day!! Last Tuesday I decided that I have to get off this garbage once and for all. A death in the family of a loved on at an early age woke me up. I don't want to be the next one in line to go to the grave! I did speak to my regular doctor about this back in say August and got Clonidine again. I didn't start taking it right away, in fact I waited until last Tuesday! The withdrawals are completely different this time and maybe half as bad as the first time. What i'm doing is taking the Clonidine three times a day plus taking a 5/325 Percocet to offset the withdrawals and make myself comfortable. I've gone from 15-16 Hydros per day last Tuesday to just 2-3 Percs a day now! I'm trying to slowly wean and let the Clonidine do it's things. Things seem to be going ok except for a couple things.

Restlessness isn't bad but there. The Clonidine plus the Prozac i'm on are making me tired and I end up going to bed at 8pm and awaking at 4-5am!! I can't seem to get that straightened out yet and it's driving me nuts! The other weird happening is these hot patches on my body. It's weird as maybe my ears will be hot, then my chest, my hips, my head, it's like a varying thing. No cold sweats just these hot body spots.

Anyone know how long before the sleep thing will correct itself? I just cannot keep my eyes open after 8pm. Any ideas on what to do to help me sleep through the night until it's at least light out? :-)

I've read alot here about this Suboxone and was thinking of maybe asking my doctor about it. I think I will need something that takes the craving away as i'm sure eventually they will return. I want to stop this altogether and will need help doing so. Is this medication addictive itself? Any side effects involved with it?

Thank you all for letting me tell my story here. I look forward to hearing from you all and hope we can all offer support and help to one another here along the way.

Ken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
    samilam

samilam HB User
    Re: Hydrocodone Addiction & Recovery

Welcome to the board Kenny!
    I would say, It is the clonidine that is makeing you sleepy, thats all I done while I was on it. I don't understand tho' why your taking the perc. If your going cold turkey you should just leave those Percoset alone. I don't know if its good to take both clonidine and perc at the same time. Its so hard to go CT. I have made it 2 times but allways went back. I am on Subutex now and I feel normal. So if you have chronic pain issues or you don't , If your a chronic relapser the Sub may be a way to go. There are others on this board who are way more experienced than Me and I know they will respond. Hang in there, most importantly you are trying to get the devil off your back and that is one huge step!
    Sam

Old 02-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
    jan22

jan22 HB User

I know some forum experts will be along soon to help but just wanted to say welcome. There are many posts on sub. I am new too but have been reading for awhile. I have learned so much by just reading this forum everyday. It sounds like you are already on your way. I won't advise as I am struggling myself. Went from taking 8 or 9 a day to 3. Have been at this level for two weeks and I still feel like crap. I need to go down to one or two but keep waiting to feel better. I too fall asleep at 8 every night and wake up at 4 or 5. I use to be a night owl. Wonder what is up with that. Anyway good luck and you will find a lot of support and advise here.
    Jan

Old 02-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Welcome to the Board! (I'm a "youngster" here myself.)--and wecome to the 8 pm to 4 am shift. (9 pm, if I'm lucky!!) I rarely meet those who keep my hours. They are not my choice--but I've been on this schedule for about two years now (tho I was never a night owl.) They don't seem to relate to the 4 Vics. (hydros) I take each day to taper (cannot seem to get past this amount.) So, I suspect that your schedule will gradually go back to whatever was normal for you. I am just a product of my genetics I think--a Dad who roamed the house in the wee dawn hours!

Anyway, I am not amongst those experts who will be able to offer more than just personal experiences. (Except, perhaps on depression--which I hope you don't suffer from.) So....I will just say "welcome aboard."

Lynn

Old 02-02-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
    deerme

deerme HB User

Wow, I Thought I Was The Only One To Have 5 Shoulder Surgeries. I Have Been On Hydros For Almost 6 Years On, Off. I See A Pm Doc. And Now I Am Taking Oxycontin 20 Mg. 2 Times A Day, And Neurontin 400 Mg. 5-6 Times A Day. I Am Taking The Oxycontin As Directed. And It Is Helping With The Pain Better Than The Hydrocodone. If You Take It As Directed There Are Virtually No Side Effects Except For Constipation, And It Takes Forever To Finish Up While Having Sex-"if You Know What I Mean". You Dont Get That Dopey High Feeling, Or The Moodiness, And You Dont Walk Around Constantly Thinking About If You Have Enough Pills Or Not. For Me It Was A Real Godsend, Because I Was Getting Out Of Hand With The Hydros. This May Not Be For Everyone. Thats All I Know Its A Lot Better Than Being In Constant Pain.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #6
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

Ken,

Welcome! What a viscious circle!! Be proud of yourself that you made the first step. The sleep thing takes awhile. It will come though! I always went c/t ....and unfortunately failed I am on Suboxone. It has worked wonders for me. You have to go to a special doctor. Not all prescribe! Put suboxone in your search engine and go from there. Some say it is a trade off. For me, it has kept me safe w/i my family. It you read my first posts, I was arrested 2 times for illegally obtaining. I have 3 kids and a wonderful hubbie. That was my lowest point. Never in a million years would I ever of thought to be arrested! It does change and get better. Suboxone has saved my life. No more doc shopping, or lying. Fortunately, my insurance pays for it.
    Keep your doc informed! LEt him know everything you are taking. The sleep thing does change. Hot baths, excerise (hahah,)! I am glad you found this board. Keep posting. Shell

Closed Thread